HELP! Clipped nail too close to quick, now it's bleeding!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabaylon

Reaction score
So I was just giving Nibbler a little claw trim. I did his front nails just fine because his claws are clear and seethrough. However, his hind claw nails are black and it is hard to see the quick. Well, I did the unthinkable and clipped it too close, now he's bleeding. I cleaned his nail with a cottonball soaked in bactine and applied neosporin. Is there something else I should be doing/using? What are trouble signs I should keep an eye out for?

if you have stryptic powder to stop the bleeding that is good ..if it is still bleeding then use plain old flour.

don't worry about this; the rabbit will be fine

looks worse than it is .

(and you have NO idea how many times this has happened to me and my rabbits :))

As long as the bleeding is stopped he should be fine. Styptic powder is the best to stop bleeding, but flour or cornstarch will work in a pinch.
I'm sure we've all done it.

Today at the adoption center one of the bunnies had bad quality nails probably due to an inconsistent diet. I put the clipper on one of the nails and it fell out. Blood everywhere. I finally managed to stop the bleeding with styptic, but she had kicked her feet so many times that the blood had spattered and it was all over me, not a good sight. Not to mention the adoption center is in a pet store with the general public walking by looking at the adoptable bunnies. It happens even to those of us with hundreds of bunny nail trims under our belts.

Same thing happened to Ellie over the weekend. It stopped right away though. I noticed rabbit blood is more brighter red than humans'.

Problem was her hind nails were getting longer, so her ears get red when she scratches them.

We always have styptic on hand just in case. When cutting the dark nails, try doing it in a brightly lit area as that helps visually. If you have a bunny that is normally relaxed, once you have the nail in position, put a slight amount of pressure on it with the clipper--if your bunny jerks away you are probably over the quick area. If your bunny stays relaxed, you are usually good to clip.

Happened with Solara a while back (she has ALL black nails) and she bled SOOO much. I looked like I'd been through a horror movies. My shirt was torn up from her scratching at me, I had blood all over my arms, hands, shirt, face. It was all over the sofa, the floor, my bed, my pants, the pen, HER. Little bunnies bleed a LOT! My mom had to go out and buy stypic powder, cause flour didn't work. :I

Latest posts

Back