help choosing cages/condos

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvall

Reaction score
I am working on converting a GIANT dog kennal (used for a great Pyrenees and a flat coated retreiver-both over 100 pounds before) into a rabbit condo, and that is almost finished. I was thinking about building the other two condos/cages out of NIC cubes, but I think I would really like something more sturdy than that because even tho all of my other pets are good with bunnies, two one hundred pound dogs and an unstable rabbit home don't mix. does anyone have suggestions how to make, or where to purchase some large, cheap, and very sturdy indoor rabbit homes( I have lots of wood I can use to make the different levels If I need different levels, mostly I just need help on the cage its self)? thank you!!!

I think you may not be getting replies because large, sturdy, and cheap cages are not easy to come by. Your best bet may be constructing them yourself with a wooden frame, which should make it stronger than a plain wire cage. You can buy wire mesh (but don't get chicken wire, not strong enough) for the walls from Home Depot or a similar store.

Leith Petwerks has great, sturdy bunny condos, but they are quite expensive, over $300 I believe, depending on how many levels the one you choose comes with.

Can you double up the panels on a nic cage to make it sturdy and attach it to the dog kennel? Other then that I think the only other thing is wood. Have you looked at some of the pictures of cages on here? That may help to give you ideas. Or you can try posting a picture of the dog kennel. Hopefully someone else will come along with some better ideas.

Awesome! Thanks! I actually have ALL of the materiel to build a cage sort of like the one Josh made (I ca't beleive I didn't realize it sooner). than for the third I can just try craigslist or something like that and see what I come up with. I'll keep you all updated! Thank you again!! also it doesn't have to be Super Super Super strong, just something the dogs won't reck if they run into it on accident when they are rough housing. But super super super strong works for me!!!! How large does a cage need to be for a trio of lionhead/lop mixes? I am guessing pretty large buut I would like to know measurements in inches plz.;);)

Well, you could PM Josh for his measurements, then multiply by 3 in all directions... One hutch could run the entire length of the room. With a solid top, it would double as a buffet/bookshelf space. Or, you could do a multilevel setup. Retain the same measurements that Josh has, but build two more layers the same size above it. Cut holes in the upper layer floors, and your buns will happily leap up & down with ease. Would be very space efficient.
If your buns are litter trained, I would suggest making the bottom floor their litter area, and put solid flooring on the upper levels.

Your front side panels could be your access point at all levels... Kind of like a lawyer's bookcase design.
http://www.woodcraftplans.com/u700.htm

Back