Help can't find advantage for rabbits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallcemommy

Reaction score
She has fleas and no vet or store has flea treatments for rabbit. Looked online its all unavailable

Actually I read an article and it said not to use the off brand. And they do make one for rabbit ls but its also for cats and dogs under 9 pounds

99% of the drugs out there used on rabbits, are off label.
Advantage for dogs and cats is used on rabbits. You just have to get the correct dosage. As rabbits have a different metabolism, the dog and cat dose is typically different from that of rabbits.
So the only difference you're seeing or looking for... is a different box, its all the same inside. It doesn't need a photo of a bunny on the box as long as its the same drug at the correct dose.

Whatever you do, don't try to save money by buying a cheap knock-off of Advantage.

Similar-looking products, such as Bio-Spot by Hartz, can be purchased in the grocery store, but those products contain permythrin, which can make cats have seizures. "I wouldn't even chance it with a rabbit,"

Yeah, don't buy generic stuff.

You can still buy dog and cat advantage.

Dr. Brick says you will likely never find a product that is marketed especially for rabbits, simply because it wouldn't be cost-effective for manufacturers to focus on such a small group of pet owners.

You can purchase regular advantage 9 and use that depending on your rabbits weight. Its exactly the same product as if you were to find a box of advantage with a picture of a rabbit on it. Its still advantage. Its not the junk you find cheaply in the pet stores.

So if I have a flea problem, I can use Advantage off LABEL (not for its advertised species), but I shouldn't use an off BRAND (a similar product that may contain harmful substances).

Just clarifying because the language got a bit confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Off label is Advantage is fine.

Off brand, you should stay away from. For your dogs and cats too, just spend the money! Off brand never worked for me for any of my animals. I would never use it on my rabbit either.

I prefer to use Revolution on my cats and rabbit though. The dog gets Advantage 2, its the only thing that works in my area.
And Frontline NEVER comes into my house on any of my animals.

You can use Advantage 2 on rabbits, it is safe for them. Be careful though, because it may give your rabbit(s) a bald spot where you apply it. I believe that I posted a thread about Advantage 2 in the health & wellness section.

Technically using a drug off label outside of the supervision of a veterinarian and without a valid veterinary client patient relationship (VCPR) is illegal, but yes advantage is safe for rabbits. I prefer revolution (selamectin) which covers fleas ticks and mites but it requires a prescription from a vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Back