Help! Cannot litter train my rabbits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauralouu248

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404684122.766985.jpg

Hi everyone,

I just don't know what I can do to get my rabbits to use their litter tray!

They are both neutered males about a year old, I adopted them a few months ago together and they are very cuddly of each other!

I bought a rabbit litter tray and I put old, used sawdust they have already used into the litter tray to attract them to the smell as I read this could work. I then clean the bed area which they use and spray it with a neutralising spray!

They still won't use it, even though I keep replacing the bedding and putting the used stuff in the litter tray!

Please help!!!

Are you putting bedding all over the cage floor? If so, stop doing that. Rabbits will pee on anything soft. Try using a 50:50 vinegar/water mix to clean the cage and neutralize odors. :litterhealthy:

If you have bedding everywhere, bunnies will get confused about where their toilet is supposed to be. Bunnies just like peeing in absorbent stuff, wherever it is. ONLY have bedding/litter material inside the litter tray. If the rest of the surface is hard and non-absorbent, that greatly encourages the bunnies to only pee in their litter tray.

Not all poops will make it in there as bunnies poop all the time and don't consider poop to be a "dirty" elimination like pee is, but bunny poops are so easy to sweep up anyways. :)

Agree with the others, only have bedding in the litter tray. Also, have you got hay in/next to the litter tray? Buns eat while they go to the toilet :)

I had bedding all over the hutch until a few days ago, it was just getting so wet I thought I can't put anymore sawdust in I needed to let it dry!

I felt mean not having any sawdust in, glad to know that's what everyone else would do.

Would you still have bedding in the sleeping area? I still put stuff in there but they aren't using it as a toilet.

They are still using the same corner to go and it doesn't have any sawdust in :-(

Shida has fleece blankets to sleep on and that's all the bedding she has we only use recycled paper pellets in her litter tray

Latest posts

Back