Help and advice wanted please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foofy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I haven't put a post up on this site for quite a long time now, butIhave received so much help and advice in the past about myrabbits that I thought I would ask you all again for some help if youdon't mind?

Have had a very bad week which ended in having to have my darling bunnyCrunchie put to sleep yesterday. I am so upset at the moment that Iwon't go into the ins and outs of what happened.

The trouble is that I am now left with her lonely mate Benjy. I wouldlike to get another rabbit although I am feeling very guilty about thisas part of me feels it is being disloyal to my poor Crunchie and noother rabbit could ever replace her as she was so special and lovely.Part of me feels bad for wanting another one so soon after Crunchie butI am thinking very much of how lonely Benjy will be now on his own?

Benjy & Crunchie had been together as a pair for just over 2years and really loved each other, were always sitting snuggled uptogether when in their cage at night and very often next to each otheror near to each other when out in the garden, always washig each otheractually it was more Crunchie washing Benjy.

So do you all think that Benjy would accept a new partner? Has anyonehad experience of this sort of thing? Hope some of you may be able tooffer your advice?

A very sad and confused Foofy!

So sorry Foofy for your loss ofCrunchie. What it the lump that she hadbefore? She will be happy now at RainbowBridge. Here is thread on Rainbow Bridge....

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=575&forum_id=1

As for finding another pet for Benjy, just go with yourheart. Some members were able to replace their bunnies rightaway. Some took some time to grieve but eventually found oneand was very happy about it.

Here is another thread for bonding and pet loss....

http://www.rabbit.org/behavior/index.html

Rainbows! :(

I am so sorry about what happened! I hope you dodecide to get another bunny. Think of it as getting another bunny inhonor of Crunchie. If you rescue one you would be saving a life, justlike Crunchie would want you to. Plus, I don't think Crunchie wouldwant his buddy to be lonely at this time.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Have just put a posting for Crunchie on The Rainbow Bridge. Am nowcrying my eyes out and can't really see much to type so will come backlater and post again.

Foofy

Amy

Thank you so much for this, has brought tears to my eyes yet again! It's lovely.

I still can't believe she's gone even though I was at the vets when shewas put to sleep. It has just seemed so strange today looking out inthe garden and seeing only one bunny instead of two. Still I suppose ittakes time to get over it, I should know have had quite a few bunny'sbefore and 2 cats that are now all gone sadly.

I am sure she is munching her way through all the grass at the rainbowbridge by now! She was such a greedy rabbit but it was anadorable character of hers.

I think in my heart I know I will get another bunny I do not want Benjyto be lonely, Crunchie used to mother him quite a lot and I know he ismissing her. I rescued both Benjy and Crunchie and would want to rescueanother one and give her a good home and lovely garden to run around in.

It all started about the middle of last week with Crunchie I noticedher bottom was all wet, tryed to dry off the urine and brush her. Gaveher a wash last Saturday but on Sunday all the wetness was back again.Took her to the vets on Monday night they decided to keep her in, asthey wanted to get a urine sample from her and I didn't think I wouldbe able to get one.

Went back and picked her up from the vets on Wednesday, they had takensome xrays to see if she had kidney stones but she didn't. They managedto get a urine sample and there was blood in it which they said showedshe had a kidney infection. Also tested for diabetes but that wasnegative, they wanted a blood sample but unfortunately they never didmanage to get one as her veins wouldn't give any blood! They hadclipped away all the fur around her bottom and it was quite red andsore and she had urine scald so she had cream for this.

WhenI brought her home she was in a bit of a sorry statereally put her back in her hutch with Benjy and did manage to get herto eat a few things. She wasn't much better on Thursday although shedid eat a little, but less than Wednesday, by Friday morning shewouldn't eat anything so I took her back to the vets, they decided tokeep her in and try and get her eating and put her on a drip etc. WhenI rang on Friday afternoon it was good news she had been drinking onher own and eaten some dandelions as well, they wanted to keep her inovernight to try and continue nursing and build her stength back up.

When I went in to pick her up yesterday morning though, she had gonedownhill again and had stopped eating again. When I saw her she justlooked so ill and had lost a lot of weight I made the decision with thehelp of my vet to have her put to sleep there and then. My vet said Icould have taken her home for another 24 hours and tried to nurse herand get her eating but I just knew it would be no good.

The sad thing is I do not really know what it was that was making herso ill and nor does the vet she was convinced there was an underlyingproblem she couldn't have gotten so sick from a urinary infection. Iasked the vet if she thought she had cancer again but shesaid she cold not see any tumours on the xrays. She had an operationlast year to have a mammary tumour removed and 2 more furtheroperations for suspected tumours although these weren't one was anabcess, andthe others fat lumps!

She recovered so well after these 3 operations the last one was just afew days after Christmas that as soon as she stopped eating this time Iknew her time was up really, she just would not have stopped eatingunless she wasin great pain and she was also grinding herteeth on Friday morning which I know means they are in pain.

So at least she is not in pain any more, it's just me now!

Think I have gone on long enough now but this has been a help to tell people that I know will understand how I feel.

Thanks again for all your kind words and thoughts, will post again soon.

I am really sorry about Crunchie - she was abeauty and a real fighter. As for getting another bun (not areplacement, but an addition) I think if Benji seems lonely, and if youfeel up to it, then I would go for it._ Jan

I'm really sorry about Crunchie. It'sthe only downfall to having pets... knowing one day you will lose them,but they do make it worth it during the time they are alive.Just knowing how happy she was and that she had a good home makes iteasier. Good luck in finding another companion forBenjy. I'm sure he will be grateful for it eventually, itjust might take some getting use to.

Jamie

Wow...with my Corky being in bad shape andfighting to save him now this has me in tears...I'm so sorry to hearabout Crunchie and I know the pain your feeling.....Corky's issues aretearing me up inside!! Hang in there!

Latest posts

Back