Help 2 sick bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haylz83

Reaction score
Hi my two buns Bear & Floppsy are both sick.
Female Floppsy has been unwell for 2 days, less movement,
Less eating and now diarrhoea.

Bear has only just Started showing symptoms today. He is lethargic,
Quite limp and not eating, drinking or pooping.

Both are extremely dehydrated and have had a dose of electrolytes
And semithicone. Have had a bit of response but not much yet.

I'm thinking GI Stasis or could they have eaten something bad in the
Garden as bear went downhill after I let them out for a run in the
Backyard. But they have been in this yard for the last 3 months.

Unfortunately no rabbit savvy vets where I live, but I'm hoping I can
Coach him through.

Can you offer any advice or support?

Worried bunny mumma Hayley :(

Its weird they both have it. Is there a vet around who has seen a rabbit before...it could be worms ect from the yard. They need fluids. Get some oxbow critical care

Yeah it is a bit weird...
Bear has responded to fluids and is eating and running round.
Floppsy is still uncomfortable though.. Vet is going to see them first thing tomorrow, hopefully she picks up over night.
Thanks will get onto critical care.

Have you changed there diet at ALL in the last several days? Do they get an greens or treats? How old are they?

I agree with Katie...get them to any vet at this point. Bunnies are usually really good at hiding their pain, so when they're showing signs, it's usually a case of "vet now, questions later" type of thing. Good luck with them, and let us know how they make out.

Thank-you so much for all of your support, it helps.
Floppsy is now in the safe hands of a vet having xrays, sub q's & pain meds. Have definitely noticed a lift in her personality since last night :)
Bear is totally back to normal this morning but staying close to his mate. Its amazing the love & care that they show each other... love the bunny love xoxo

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
Have you changed there diet at ALL in the last several days? Do they get an greens or treats? How old are they?

No change in diet Bunnylova4eva...

They are 2 and 2 1/2 years old, ordinarily happy but Floppsy is a little overweight. The get fresh greens every day and probably too many treats to be honest.

Do you or anyone else have any advice for slimming down my bun?

:)

There are threads on weight loss, particularly for Fraggles hehehee

I think exercise is the biggest piece of the puzzle. It is hard if the bun doesn't want to cooperate though. I am a fitness coach for the SPCA bun. She prefers to flop down and relax, but I tickle her bum and make her hop a few minutes every day. We all have to start somewhere. :)

MiniLopHop wrote:

I think exercise is the biggest piece of the puzzle. It is hard if the bun doesn't want to cooperate though. I am a fitness coach for the SPCA bun. She prefers to flop down and relax, but I tickle her bum and make her hop a few minutes every day. We all have to start somewhere. :)

Thanks MiniLopHop, i wil definitely have a scan through to find some tips.

She doesnt mind a run around, but ihave noticed (when in full health) that she has short bursts of energy... i thought that was probably because she is carrying the extra weight... hehehe will have to try the tickle trick :)

You are right, and starting is the first step ;)

It is so scary when they're sick Wendymac...
I just wish i knew the causes so i could prevent it from happening again.. but i guess the best i can do is keep them happy and healthy and hopefully that is enough....

The Xrays showed up massive amounts of gas built up in her intestines and cecum. It looked like a solid mass to me, but the vet says its gas. The poor little thing is blown up like a balloon.

I am happy to report another big improvement overnight.. We have our first little nuggets in the toilet. She is now eating all he favourite foods, but only when i feed them to her... maybe she likes the extra attention :)Bear is getting in on the attention too, he is so sweet just sitting by her side....

Hopefully can report more improvement tomorrow. xxx

Nuggets are definitely an improvement! Eating is a good thing, too. Bear's probably telling her, "Hurry up, Flopsy, I miss playing with you." :) Animals are so loyal, and it irks me when people say they're just stupid animals with no emotions!

I'm glad to hear she's on the mend, and look forward to hearing about more improvements tomorrow. :)

:bagheadMiniLopHop wrote:

Its true....There are a few threads about Fraggles.

Thats a great way of putting it Wendymac, i also think Bear is a little jealous of the attention Floppsy is getting. Ive been trying to pat him at the same time im massaging her belly and giving her meds etc... But its hard, I could do with an extra hand or two... hehe

So todays developments....
They both have an isatiable hunger! but still dont seem to be drinking.. ive seen a few sips from their bottle but not much. I have amped up the fresh greens though, to get them eating again so could they be getting enough water from those??? They are peeing a lot...

I guess now that their appetite is back ill ease up on the food a bit.

Floppsy has begun to deflate! yay! Another huge improvement overnight, that glint in her eyes has returned....
She has cottoned onto the meds though... injections are fine but anything by mouth has become a major struggle... Tried to feed some to her on some food, but she was too smart for that... I hate forcing it on her but its for her own good.

I also may have had a breakthrough with initial causes....
After doing some reading on toxic plants, it seems that there are 2 or 3 in my garden that are big no-no's! Time to put some fencing up before they venture out again.

Thanks again for this support
:hug::bunnieskiss

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
:bagheadMiniLopHop wrote:

Its true....There are a few threads about Fraggles.
Fantastic! I look forward to reading up about Fraggles adventures today... :)

Latest posts

Back