Hello:)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy2280

Reaction score
I just found this forum today. I have had many bunnies over the years. Right now I have 2. One black lion head male, Simba. One chesnut holland lop, Daisy. I just got her yesterday. My hubby and I went to Jacks Aquarium and Pets to look at fish and she was in a cage that said "free with cage purchase" I was curious so I asked why. She has overgrown teeth that need to be trimmed every few weeks so they are giving her away for free. I felt so bad for her. I was also worried that someone would just get her for food for something:( I talked to hubby and he said to get her:) I purchased another cage for her and am going to call my vet tomorrow and see what it would cost to have them removed. I don't want her to go through the stress of trimming them every few weeks and I have heard that they can still eat with out them and get along fine. I am going to post pics of both ofthem soon! :)

That was so nice of you to save Daisy from other 'less caring' people. I agree with Jan. I had two Dutch bunnies with dental issues, and only had to have them trimmed three or four times a year. The thing with removing teeth is that if they are not ready to fall out, the vet could accidentally fracture/break the jaw trying to remove healthy teeth. Maybe wait on any major decisions until the vet has a chance to examine the amount of growth and if there are molar spurs. Sometimes it is just a matter of having a trim done with a follow-up appointment in two or three months to determine if another dental is needed. Oh, and don't forget to give her lots of nibbly things like apple branches and willow balls. :D

Have you started a blog yet? It would be great to see pics of little Simba and Daisy!

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

I have a flemish that has teeth issues and I don't have to trim that often either.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

Thanks for the warm welcoming everyone! Here are just a few pics of my buns. I have had Simba for a couple years, he has the best personality! Daisy is so funny she will just flop over like she is dead in her cage.

Daisys cage issmall, it is the one I bought from the petstore that went with her. I am in the process of making them both big cages. I have been browsing ideas from here and am really excited about getting them each their own huge mansion:)

14617_072039_560000003.jpg
14617_072039_550000002.jpg
14617_072039_550000001.jpg
14617_072039_550000000.jpg

Your buns are so cute! And you're awesome for rescuing the little guy from what could have been an awful situation. Also - my rabbit, Pipper, suffers from Malocclusion, and her top and bottom incisors have to be extracted in about a month. I posted some about it under the Infirmary section...the topic is called "Malocclusion" if you want to give it a look. I know your situation is probably different, but just a suggestion :). Pipper's case is pretty bad, and she was going to have to go in every 3 months, which I would have been completely fine with, but my vet strongly stood by the extraction (along with other helpful people on this forum), as she would run a high risk of abscesses and/or infection.

Her extraction was quoted at $320, which sounds like a lot, but 4+ tooth clippings in a year for multiple years would've added up to quite a large amount!

Anyway, welcome and congrats on the new addition!

Thank you! I will check out your thread. They told me that they were clipping her every couple weeks, if that is case thenI will probably go the same route as you. I don't want to put her through that all the time.

Yeah, I felt the same way. A lot of people posted on the thread about their experiences with tooth extraction, and I don't recall one reply where their bun had a bad experience. Also, if a rabbit has to undergo multiple tooth clippings because of a dental problem, they run a high risk for stress fractures and cracks in their teeth, which would lead to more stress for you and Daisy, as well as more $$$ to deal with infection!

The thought of it really stressed me out at first, but it's definitely the best way to go for Pip!

I have had daisy for about 2 months now and she has had to have her teeth trimmed twice now. I had hoped that it would only have to be done a few times a year but they seem to be growing so fast. I think I am going to really look into extraction. :( She is the sweetest little thing and I just want her to be happy:)

Back