Hello!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanya_v

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Tanya and I am in California. No bunnies yet but thinking of getting one (well, kids are bugging me and I just can't resist:biggrin2:). Now I am trying to figure out which breed would be the best match for us. It looks like this is just the right place to get some information.:D

:helloand :welcome1to RabbitsOnline, Tanya. I am glad you found the site. RO is a very active, friendly and helpful website devoted to rabbits and their slaves.

Here are some good links to areas of the site you might find interesting, the Library section, full of good reference info, Bunny Blog, where you can keep everyone up to date on your bunny and your life as a bunny slave and if you bunny would like to ask questions of other buns the Bunny Chat is the spot to be. The regional forum is a good way to find a rabbit savvy vet or to post places where you get some of your supplies for your bun etc. For the lighter side and to give you a chuckle or two stop by the go to the Let Your Hare Down section for anything but bunny's.

You don't have to say what city your in but if you could update your profile with an areayour in, may be likeNorthern California etc, that would help others provide you with info that may help you and your future bunny.

If you would like to post pictures in your post this link How to put photo's in your posts will help explain that.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with info. This is a wonderful site and I look forward to seeing pictures of your bun and stories about him or her.

How old are your kids? That could help with a particular rabbit breed to start with.

Dave

Thanks, Dave! I've updated my profile. Iam in Sacramento.

My boys are 13 and 8. And I also have cats, a dog and a ratty. The rat is 2.5 year old now so I am thinking about the next pet after this little guy. I hope it wouldn't be too soon.

Welcome to RO Tanya! :bunny24

Hurray for another Northern California member! :biggrin2:
I actually was born and lived for a few years in Sacramento. Regarding which breed would be a best match for your family, each rabbit should be viewed and treated as an individual. I highly recommend visiting your local rabbit rescue and playing with some of their bunnies. I'm sure you will fall in love! Not to mention they are already spayed and neutered. If you are interested let me know, I can steer you to some great local rescues. It's great to see another rat lover! I have 4 of my own.

Take care!

Thank you. I found several rescues but they don't have baby bunnies and this is what my kids are asking for. Am I wrong? I took my kids to a breeder to check if we would have allergy (I've developed allergy to my rats :(). We were surprised how sociable rabbits are.

There are many great breeds and mixes of rabbits. Alot of your decision will need to be made around your children (age, activity level, etc.) I have 4 children myself so I know that it can be daunting finding the perfect family pet or any species.
Good luck with your search and Welcome!

tanya_v wrote:
Thank you. I found several rescues but they don't have baby bunnies and this is what my kids are asking for. Am I wrong? I took my kids to a breeder to check if we would have allergy (I've developed allergy to my rats :(). We were surprised how sociable rabbits are.
Of course you are not wrong in wanting a baby bunny. :) Some people prefer purchasing a baby from a breeder because they like the idea of a fresh start. Just make sure you are purchasing your new furry family member from a reputable rabbit breeder. What you don't want to see is overcrowded cages or unsanitary conditions. This makes the chances for bacterial and parasitic related illnesses far more likely. Also avoid breeders that sell and allow their babies to go to their new homes too young, so definitely not any younger than 6 weeks old, preferably at 8 weeks.

Since your rabbit will be a family bun, you will want to make sure to get him/her spayed and neutered by a qualified rabbit savvy vet at the appropriate at (females at around 6 months and males around 5 months). This will make them much more enjoyable pets. Once they reach sexual maturity they tend to start doing some highly unwanted behavior related to their raging sexual drive. Females commonly get aggressive and cranky while males may start to spray and hump. Of course there is the health benefits as well and help your pet live longer.

Hope this helps!:wave:

What I was trying to ask if I am wrong thinking that shelters and rescue don't have baby bunnies. Sorry, It's just me trying to do several things at the same time.:biggrin2:

I volunteer at a LA city shelter and we frequently get pregnant does in tat give birth in our shelter and, a few months later, we put the babies up for adoption.

I adopted both of my buns as adults and couldn't be happier. I like that when you get an adult bunny, you know what you're getting in terms of size (if you're getting a baby from a reputable breeder, you'll also get this) and temperament.

Good luck with your search for a new family member!
This forum is a great place to learn.

Latest posts

Back