Hello to all.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyowned

Bunny Owned
Reaction score
I guess I'm the noob here so I will introduce myself. I live in Stanley Va and I am owned by 8 rescued rabbits. I am an advocate for spay and neuter. I do not breed and I do not believe in it. I know some here breed but I do not. For those that do breed that is your choice I however do not so we can agree to disagree on that point. I rescued my first bunny a year ago a REW. Her name is Sneaky. I rescued her from an awful meat breeder. Long story short she is blind in one eye because of the living conditions. She was about 5 weeks when I got her and she is a year old now. She is very beautiful, sweet, and quit the sneak...hence her name Sneaky aka Sneaky Pete, Sneakers, and Sneak Sneak. When I got her I knew not one thing about rabbit care but I immediately went to studying everything I could find on the proper care of rabbits. Because of her I rescued 7 more rabbits that were in horrible living conditions and not being cared for properly....Munchie, Adam, Georgie, Angelina, Bun Bun, Ruby, and Kristopher. Adam, Kristopher, and Ruby are siblings that I found at a flea market almost dead from heat stroke. Georgie was living on a wire floor with at least 6 inches of poop under the bottom. Angelina and Bun Bun were living in CA and made the over 2500 mile trip to Va to live with me because...you guessed it...the lame excuse of I'm moving and can't take them with me and am forced to send them back to the high kill shelter I got them in. Btw I hate, hate, hate that excuse but anyway Bun Bun has some special needs and no one wanted him and if I hadn't taken them he would have surely been killed at the shelter. Munchie was a Easter impulse buy so when the novelty wore off she was no longer wanted.
None of my rabbits are ever put in cages for any reason or any amount of time. I am very strict on diet so I have some very healthy buns. Bun Bun's condition has almost completely resolved itself due to high quality diet, exercise, and lots of love. When he came to me he was on meds, his head was tilted, he fell over, he couldn't periscope at all, he had a hard time cleaning himself, his teeth were discusting (black and brown), and he was underweight. His head is completely straight now, he can periscope without falling over, he can groom himself, he jumps, climbs, binkys and all without falling over. His teeth are snow white, and he's a healthy weight. His weight is constantly monitored because he is so very active it's hard for him to gain.
Anyway I could write a book on my rabbits but I will spare everyone. I just wanted to take the time to say hi and introduce my bunnies. :rabbithop

Welcome! I agree, it's horrible the way some people treat bunnies and the excuses some give for getting rid of them :(.

My little Norman was dumped at the Houston SPCA four days before this last Christmas for being "too big"! Honestly, I think the problem was they wanted a "cute little cage animal" and got a vegetarian house cat with airplane ears - I got him on December 29th and he made himself right at home from the start. He's got great litter box habits, LOVES to cuddle, licks us non-stop... why anyone would give him up is beyond me.

He seemed reasonably well cared for, at least, other than it looking like his nails hadn't been trimmed in almost a year (I was really surprised that it didn't look like the HSPCA or the vet who did his neuter bothered to trim them with how bad they were - it's gonna take quite a while to work the quicks back to a reasonable length ><). I told myself (when convincing myself to get him) that I would bring him back if it turned out I couldn't bond him to my two girls... but it took him less than a day to convince me I wouldn't be able to send him back no matter what!

We'd love to see pics of your rescue bunns, by the way :D.

Welcome to the forum. Over the years we've rescued 44 bunnies, some very problematic. Have found that with time, patience, and proper care any bunny can become an excellent companion.

Welcome! I agree, it's horrible the way some people treat bunnies and the excuses some give for getting rid of them :(.

My little Norman was dumped at the Houston SPCA four days before this last Christmas for being "too big"! Honestly, I think the problem was they wanted a "cute little cage animal" and got a vegetarian house cat with airplane ears - I got him on December 29th and he made himself right at home from the start. He's got great litter box habits, LOVES to cuddle, licks us non-stop... why anyone would give him up is beyond me.

He seemed reasonably well cared for, at least, other than it looking like his nails hadn't been trimmed in almost a year (I was really surprised that it didn't look like the HSPCA or the vet who did his neuter bothered to trim them with how bad they were - it's gonna take quite a while to work the quicks back to a reasonable length ><). I told myself (when convincing myself to get him) that I would bring him back if it turned out I couldn't bond him to my two girls... but it took him less than a day to convince me I wouldn't be able to send him back no matter what!

We'd love to see pics of your rescue bunns, by the way :D.

Well I hope I did it right and I got everyone. The REW is Sneaky, the rex with the funny sticker hat is Munchie, Kristopher is the Rex with me, Adam is the one on my lap. He and Kristopher are twin brothers, Angelina is the tiny chinchilla Netherland Dwarf, Georgie is the Grey and White with the angel kisses on her cheeks, Bun Bun is the brown and white Netherland Dwarf mix, and Ruby is the one that is sitting by a fence in her outside play pen.

bunny pics 610.jpg

unnamed (7).jpg

from android 511.jpg

kry 077.jpg

kry 125.jpg

kry 300.jpg

bunny pics 314.jpg

video 075.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Over the years we've rescued 44 bunnies, some very problematic. Have found that with time, patience, and proper care any bunny can become an excellent companion.

I agree and to all those that passed over Bun Bun because he was thought to be special needs really lost out. He is the best little rabbit and he is not sick at all. He does have some nerve damage and will fall over only when he gets excited but other than that he runs, jumps, climbs, and does every single thing a normal rabbit would do and has no problems doing it. His head got straight a few weeks after he got here and within a couple months he was able to groom himself just like a normal rabbit. :bunny18

Hello! Your bunnies are adorable. I love when people adopt "special needs" animals that everyone tend to overlook. All of my cats were considered "rejects". With a little kindness and love, they all blossomed into wonderful pets, as your bunnies have. :)

Hello! Your bunnies are adorable. I love when people adopt "special needs" animals that everyone tend to overlook. All of my cats were considered "rejects". With a little kindness and love, they all blossomed into wonderful pets, as your bunnies have. :)

You are correct. They pass them over because they don't want to take the time or spend the money. I would help any rabbit in need but if I had to make a choice I'd take the special needs first. :bunny22:

Welcome!

I, too, am a proponent of rescue and of spay and neuter. And, unfortunately, in my line of work, I have come across far too many animals that are rehomed, taken to shelters, or abandoned due to their former owners' (and, I use the term very loosely) irresponsibility. I do believe there are situations where pets need to be adopted out. However, those true situations are few and far between. And, a good owner will do everything in their power to ensure that their former pet is being given a loving, forever home. But, alas, for the times where pets are treated more like rubbish than living, breathing beings, I am grateful for people like you. And, no doubt, your rabbits are thankful as well.

Thank you for the rescue work you do. And, I look forward to getting to know you and your bunnies better as time goes on.

Welcome!

I, too, am a proponent of rescue and of spay and neuter. And, unfortunately, in my line of work, I have come across far too many animals that are rehomed, taken to shelters, or abandoned due to their former owners' (and, I use the term very loosely) irresponsibility. I do believe there are situations where pets need to be adopted out. However, those true situations are few and far between. And, a good owner will do everything in their power to ensure that their former pet is being given a loving, forever home. But, alas, for the times where pets are treated more like rubbish than living, breathing beings, I am grateful for people like you. And, no doubt, your rabbits are thankful as well.

Thank you for the rescue work you do. And, I look forward to getting to know you and your bunnies better as time goes on.

I feel like this. If I ever had to move I would find a place that would allow me to have my 8. I literally would pitch a tent somewhere before I'd give even one away. I made a lifelong commitment to them and I intend to fulfill that commitment. It would be like someone having to move to a place that didn't allow children. They wouldn't put their kids up for adoption or give them away they would find a place that they were allowed so I guess that's why that excuse really burns my butt. I just don't think it's a good excuse. :apollo:

Welcome to the forum to you and all your bunnies. When I was young my sister had a rabbit with ear problems, he had to have medicine every day and she'd had to help him keep them clean. It's horrible that some people think just because a pet needs extra care they don't want them. My sisters Leo was one of the most loving pets I've known and because he needed his ears washing he learned to be very calm and would sit for hours on your knee. One day I hope to have the room to rescue rabbits myself

Latest posts

Back