Hello (Newbie to rabbit world)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennie

Reaction score
Hello,
Just built a nice rabbit pen for our 1 rabbit. The cage is 5' X 2' with a solid wood box on one end with some of the wood coming out to make a floor outside of the box. This leaves 2 1/2 to 3' of wire to use. We just put her in her new pen yesterday & all she wants to do is potty all over the wood ! She goes all in her nice hide box & on the solid wood floor outside of her box ! Why won't she go on the other end (either two corners) though the wire ? This would save a ton of clean up. I try to keep clean , but , she keeps peeing & pooping all on the wood side & walking all though it ! She is kept outside & do not want the flies after her. If I can get her to go though the wire on the other side of the cage......this would be G-R-E-A-T ! HOW ? Wood house on other end, isn't big enough to fit say a litter box in. I just didn't know what to do to make her go though the wire so it hits the ground. Thanks for any suggestions.

PS. Son & I are learning proper care together ! This rabbit was running loose, mom rescued like many other things, & son wanted to keep. He's 12.

Jennie

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I'm not quite sure how to fix this because I've kept my rabbits on solid floors with litterboxes. Maybe you could get a litterbox for him and put it on the wire area? Put some of his poops and a paper towel soaked in his urine in the litterbox to let him know that that's where he should be going. And clean up the solid floor with vinegar to get rid of the potty smell.

Hello Jennie! Welcome to the forum!

Does your bunny have a litterbox? If not, her going on the wood might be her trying to use one. I would recommend what Naturestee said (who's quite the expert) and get her a litterbox. Just getting her a small kitty litterbox is good, and check out the following thread containing information about litter training, and things should work out just fine!

Here's the thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12213&forum_id=17

That link was derived from the Rabbit 101 section of this forum, which contains a wealth of information for rabbit care and companionship. It can be found at: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=17 Be sure to check it out and read up on bunny care and what to feed your girl, etc. It's always good to have an overabundance of information, as opposed to the opposite. :)

A couple of things that I wanted to ask about/give suggestions about:

I wouldn't recommend having a cage where your bunny is hopping around directly on wire. They can get something called Sore Hocks from it, which is quite painful and easy to avoid. It would be better to get something like pegboard (which is quite inexpensive) for her to hop around on instead. Here's a thread about it: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13403&forum_id=1&highlight=pegboard

Do you let her out every day to run around? I'm not sure exactly what the time amount they should be let out of their cage for running around is, but I can tell you it's at least an hour.

Here's another good thread on basic bunny information:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=3005&forum_id=1

Here's a good thread on keeping bunnies cool. http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13136&forum_id=1

And another one:
http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/warm-weather.html

Since your bunny is outside, please be sure to keep her nice and cool using the ideas in that thread. Also, since she is outside, be sure that you read up on the various dangers of outdoors rabbits, so you know how to prevent them. Here's a good thread from the House Rabbit Society's page (which has an abundance of info on buns, too): http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/outdoors.html

All that aside, tell us about your bunny! What does she look like, what's her name, how old is she? Have any pictures you can share? :)

Hope you don't mind me sharing all that information. I just like to give loads of help to new bunny owners, since I really appreciated others doing the same for me when I first got my bunnies! :)

Keep us updated on your new friend! :)

Oh, I also wanted to ask you...is there any particular reason why you don't have your bunny living indoors? It would be much safer and cooler for her.

Here are some links that have information about having an indoor bunny:

http://rabbit.org/care/living-with-a-house-rabbit.html

http://www.allearssac.org/rabbitathome.html

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/indoorbun.html

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/adoption/indoors.html

I'm not trying to push either way, I just thought maybe it hadn't been thought of as an option, and thought I would offer the information. Ya never know! :)

Hello,

Thanks much for all the links & info so far ! Not sure on the age of her (think it's a female.....no signs of things hanging). I would guess 1 yr. or less. She was found running loose & I came to the rescue. She had ticks all on her head area & got cat rev. med to put on her to help this. Did help , but , still feel a few areas up behide her ears that have knots. Small pee size. Not sure on this & just assume it's where the ticks burried in her. She is all white with brown eyes with black around her eyes like eye liner & her ears are a brown/black. I will try to take some cage & bunny pics after bit.....how to post them here ?

The inside keeping thing, is just out for me , because , I know the can live & dogreat outdoors. Also, own a ferret (kept) inside & have been warned about the 2 of them together. Plus just have many others inside & didn't plan on a bunny inside. Son, hubby, & grandpa built a bunny mansion & I know she loves it. I just need to know how to get her from going where *I DON'T want her going*, on the nice wood we built for her to rest on.

I have tried putting her poo in one corner......didn't work. I try to keep all poop swept up & pee wiped , but , an all day thing. Would a litter box in her cage when keeping outside confuse her if I just got her using it to get her to go to the end/corner I want her to use & then take it out ? I really want her just to go though the wire to the ground for clean up !

I also would like to know some good brands/where to buy(not real $$$) rabbit pellets to use for bunnies kept outside, toys, safe wood to chew on ???, etc ?

Just picked up some $5.00 rabbit pellets from Tractor Supply for her (probably not 100% great *not sure on what to watch for rabbits*, feed her 1/2 cup of them a day, tim. hay provided, fresh water daily, & offer her greens, apples, & carrots.

I'm trying here & know she would have been dead 4-sure if running loose in this wooded area ! I seen hawks myself try to get things. She has it way way way way better & darn lucky to have me decide to recuse a rabbit & not another reptile this time ! :D

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

She may have used a litter box before and now is confused. I would try the litter box on a permanent basis(better in the box than all over the hutch).

What brand pellets did you get from TSC? They do have some decent pellets that are not expensive. Purina is a good pellet and is not expensive. If you decide to switch her, you'll need to do it VERY gradually or she may get diarrhea.

TSC sells "Woody Pet" for horse stalls and it is EXCELLENT for litter boxes - very absorbent and contains odor like nothing else.It comes in 30 pound bags and sells for about $6.

Here's some pics of the rabbit & cage. :) You can see where she's using the places she's not supposed to use ! Cage is right off the edge off our yard & have 2 dogs (German Shepherd/Golden Ret.) that keep things away at night. Also, will be adding for winter time & night time, some metal (allumium(sp?)sides on 2 of the sides so she doesn't see things at night. Her hide box is nice & big to hide in also. Son has been calling her Lucky ! :bunnydance:

Jennie

P1010116.jpg

P1010117.jpg

P1010113.jpg

Hi,

The TS rabbit pellet is by LM Animal Farms & says Classic Rabbit Pellets. I'm not sure if this is ok & can be used yr. round ? She is doing ok with it & must say her bunny balls are BIG !!! Going there TS in a few & wondered on a hay bin or holder ? Want to get her one to use. Also, need advice on using a heated water dish for winter or another method to keep water fresh. Anything else we must get for her since I'm on my way in town soon. :D

Thanks,

Jennie

I don't know anyone who uses that pellet brand, but if it's just pellets (no seeds or other stuff mixed in), it should be fine.

I only have indoor rabbits, but I think most folks use water bottles uness it gets below freezing.

What a cutie!! Lucky is such a cute name!

Have you checked out the Rabbit 101 section of the site? It has information about pellet food that would answer your questions. :)

Hi Jennie,

Ok what I would suggest is... move her food/water and hay onto the wire floor in the opposite corner of the cage from the wood house part. A lot of bunnies just like to poop where and while they are eating.

Also you can try putting down some natural grass mats on some of the wire area to encourage her to spend some time on that side of the cage - or put some straw on that side.

The other option is to give Lucky a litter pan - maybe she doesn't like pooping into the open air. Give her a litter box, put it on the wire part, fill it with straw or some other litter and see if she starts using that instead of the wood area.

I would just like to do without a litter pan all together if possible. I know that the litter will get wet somewhat with rains etc & just be a mess. I never thought I would go though this with a bunny. Thought they would go out on the wire right ot a corner. I will try moving the food &water dishes to the wire & thought of this once , but , I thought this would give her even more room on the wood to go now.

Thanks for the comments on the hutch.Hope we don't need to be concerned about her chewing on this wood (never thought of that either), it's made out of treated wood. Did that mainly for rotting & bugs.

Should we put a piece of wood in there for her to chew then ? Just plain pine ? This is safe for them to chew on wood.

Sorry, haven't read all the info (rabbits 101)......just here & there.

Thanks,

Jennie

Good suggestions in this thread. :)

And an awfully cute bunny in her own little mansion!

The only thing I can add is that they'll continue to 'go' where they've 'gone' before. And they 'go' where they smell their urine, not their poops, so dipping a paper towel or something in the pee and moving that to the other corner is a better bet than the poops. But you're going to have to scrub the stained wood with a vinegar and water solution to totally get rid of the smell.

(You may even have to block her out of that end of the cage for awhile maybe by giving her another portable hidey box for the other side until she breaks the habit).

The only other comment I've got is that if she's not spendingtime indoors with a lot of human contact, think about getting her a (neutered) friend to share her mansion. They're very social little critters and really do better with a bonded mate -- human or lagomorph!

Good luck with her!

sas :)and the gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Laura wrote:
I don't know anyone who uses that pellet brand, but if it's just pellets (no seeds or other stuff mixed in), it should be fine.

I only have indoor rabbits, but I think most folks use water bottles uness it gets below freezing.

I have been using clay pot bottoms for dishes & they work great ! I read where bunnies drink better out of dishes than water bottles. I worry about winter & thought heated dish !

Your bunny isreal cute !!

Jennie

Jennie wrote:
I would just like to do without a litter pan all together if possible.
Once you get her using a litter pan in the corner, I'd think you can ween herfrom it - replace it with a cardboard tray, then a piece of paper, and then nothing -- although I've never had a bunny on wire,that's just the way I'd do it on a floor.

As for pellets, watch for a protein countbetween 12% and 16%, fiber over 18%, and calcium under .1% (?). (I forget what agood fat count is). I use a cheap bulk feed store pellet that's probablymostly alfalfa, but the contents as above are okay, and the buns that get it eat a lot of timothy hay, so...

Hope this helps!

sas et al

Ok went to TS tonight & got bunny (Lucky) a hay holder, rabbit harness, & salt & mineral wheel.

My question is, with the salt/mineral wheel........is this fine/ok to give her ? Thought it would give her something to gnaw on , but , not 100% if ok for them. TS brand is all LM Animal Farms stuff. That what kind of pellets bought. Nothing else in it but pellets. Will have to check the fat , etc. . Can I put a piece of 2x4 pine wood cut of corse in there for her ? Son wanted to buy these cute orange carrot shaped pieces of wood & told him to wait on this.

Best way to get pee stain off ? How much white vinger & do I mix with some water ? Also, what's the method if needed for the vanilla for flies ?

PS. Put a piece of paper towel with pee all over it in one corner of the cage tonight to see what happens come morning. If she eats this paper towel.......would that be bad ?

Jennie

Jennie wrote:
My question is, with the salt/mineral wheel........is this fine/ok to give her ?
Can I put a piece of 2x4 pine wood cut of corse in there for her ? Son wanted to buy these cute orange carrot shaped pieces of wood & told him to wait on this.
Best way to get pee stain off ? How much white vinger & do I mix with some water ? Also, what's the method if needed for the vanilla for flies ?
PS. Put a piece of paper towel with pee all over it in one corner of the cage tonight to see what happens come morning. If she eats this paper towel.......would that be bad ?
Lessee.... Sorry, but the salt/mineral wheel is pretty useless, I'd take it back. Rabbits don't need salt/minerals and she probably won't use it anyway.

I think I usually mix 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar.

I just put a couple of drops of vanilla in the water. Somebody here just suggested I put a teaspoon full of vanilla with water in a spray bottle and spray the cage, though, so I'm going to try that.

No problem with the wood as long as it isn't treated, although a better betwould beapple tree branches (preferably dried) if you can get those. Other types of trees as well (definitely dried), butyou'd have to check the list in Bunny 101 to make sure they're safe. They love chewing the bark off of them, and it's good for them.

Another distraction is baby toys. A lot of rabbits love throwing teething rings around and ringing bells hanging in their cages, etc. (There's a whole section on bunny toys in the Resource Center). Thefavourite toy in my house, though, seems to betheempty toilet paperroll stuffed with hay.:)

And no problem with them eating paper products including paper towels as long as they're not treated with anything weird. :)

Hope this helps! Lucky sounds like a lucky bunny!

sas :)and the gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Ok, back goes the salt/mineral wheel.....thought I would ask before we opened ! Thanks :D

Ok, one thing of concern is........grandpa had almost the whole hutch built before we seen & he used almost all treated wood to build the hutch ! :? See top 1st pic. Do I need to wrry big time about this now ? That's why I was thinking on cutting some pieces of 2x4 & laying them around in the cage. Wood kind of scares me though (them eating.....I know NOT good for our dogs) ! So are those wood orange carrot shaped pieces you can buybad ? When you use a couple of drops of vanilla or say 1 tsp. , then how much water ?

Thanks again,

Jennie

Jennie wrote:
Ok, one thing of concern is........grandpa had almost the whole hutch built before we seen & he used almost all treated wood to build the hutch ! :? See top 1st pic. Do I need to wrry big time about this now ? That's why I was thinking on cutting some pieces of 2x4 & laying them around in the cage. Wood kind of scares me though (them eating.....I know NOT good for our dogs) ! So are those wood orange carrot shaped pieces you can buybad ? When you use a couple of drops of vanilla or say 1 tsp. , then how much water ?
I guess it's going to depend on whether she's an avid house chewer or not, but if you give her plenty of tree branches and twigs, she should chew those. And if she does want to chew her walls, then yes, the 2x4 pieces will help, but you may have to nail them to the wall -- some rabbits only like chewing stationary objects. It really is unlikely that she'd eat enough to harm her, though. A couple of my free run buns have beenwolfing down dry wall, door frames, carpet and all sorts oficky things before I discover their interest and block them off (I think I'm the one in the cage at the moment :disgust:), and while I can't guarantee what their organs look like, they seem pretty darn healthy.

The carrot shaped things use natural soya dyes I think, so they should be fine -- although none of my bunnies ever seem to eat anything like thatI buy for them (pet store stuffseems to appeal to humans more than rabbits)but everybun is different. :)

I think my spray bottle holds about a quart of water, maybe less. You just need enough so it smells like vanilla but doesn't overwhelm.

sas et al :)

Latest posts

Back