Hello, new owner who is over his head

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my bunny (she's young, but I know many breeders who feed it) is Purina 16% protein from a feed store. It's a 40 pound bag for about $17, so you can't get much cheaper for a fairly good quality. I'd recommend switching a diet gradually and slowly incorporating greens.

I think they plastic they were talking about was the plastic-y looking material in the nest, may just be paper shreds. As others have said, you should keep mostly just her fur and maybe some shredded paper/hay in the nest so the babies don't get lost and not nurse.

Lots of hay is good, as I see in the bottom of the cage. Maybe for the male you could find a cheap dog-play pen or crate to keep him in so he's not chewing up the wood, and can't be as close to her and distraught by not being able to get to her? Just a suggestion..

Good luck!

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

Very cute bunny's. Check at a local feed store, many sell rabbit food in quantities ranging from afew pounds to 50 pounds.

When I had my french lop Rudy neutered, they charged around a $120. Good luck.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

I'm currently on vacation but when I get back I can try to help.

Oh on the spay/neuter thing, definately check for vouchers and such. That can cut the cost down a lot! Here check this out: http://neuterspay.org/ That's how I found a low cost alterative for neutering my rabbit. My Harvey (male) was very much a horny bun and would relentlessly hump my cats (btw cats are great pets too :p) but having his boy bit off made a HUGE difference. I feel you on the humping issue, it gets old fast.

Thanks everyone for writing me and sorry to take so long to write back. You have all provided me with a wealth of information and I have been doing a lot of reading. No baby bunnies yet but Harvey is bigger and I can feel the babies inside of her. Harvey and Wilbur have been separated now for over four weeks so I have a feeling the baby bunnies will come by Halloween.

The white stuff that was in the nest box was a combination of white tissue paper, some newspaper, white stuffing which I use for their litter boxes, and tufts of Harvey's own fur which is also white. I know the resolution is terrible, it's a camera phone. I did clean the nest box out and put in some fresh tissue paper and stuffing. Harvey again built the nest up to be huge and I removed some of the tissue paper. I think it is good to go now. The last thing I need to do is thread a few wires through the bottom part of the cage bars so that any babies that get out of the nest box, don't fall through the cage bars and out of the cage, which would be bad because the nest box is on the second floor.

[size=I've been making calls and here is what I found out.]I called the CT Humane Society and they do not service or fix rabbits. The vet from East Haven, which isn't too far from me, quoted me that they would fix the male for $250 and the female for $300. I really still want to get them fixed, I am going to get Wilbur neutered. They still are very desperate to be with each other, so it would be worth it for them to live together again (of course not while the mama is taking care of the babies). I felt bad for them one night and relented, allowing them to get together for a quick romp as long as Harvey didn't get upset or growl. Now I regret it and am worried, I read that you shouldn't do that because it can result in a dual pregnancy, which I don't want to happen. It was a quick romp, less than a minute of Wilbur humping Harvey and then Harvey humping Wilbur, while they circled each other... and then I separated them again.

Harvey is back being a complete sweetheart and I have no problems with her, just I know better now to try and clean her cage with her still in it. She is eating a lot, especially the pellets and whatever veggies or fruit I give her. Wilbur, I feel he is depressed. He is a true male and only has one thing on his mind. He goes nuts when I let Harvey out and he is still confined to the cage, until I put her back and he gets his own hopping time (which he uses trying to figure out how to get into Harvey's part of the cage). I still hold and brush them. Wilbur acts as if he wants to come into the living room and hang with me. I let him sit on the couch with me but have to keep a close eye on him because I haven't bunny proofed the living room yet.

I also went to the pet store and was really surprised by how all the pellets seemed to have junk in them, flavored pieces. I see one that is just pellets but it is for adults and they are not adults yet. Harvey, the pregnant female is somewhere between 5 and 6 months old, while Wilbur the male is between 6 and 7 months old, I'm not exactly sure. I'm still shopping around for the best pellets to give them. Harvey, the pregnant female eats a lot, she devours just about all her pellets and I could practically refill it three times a day, but I restrict her to only two times a day, but with unlimited hay and a small fruit or veggie portion, which is either a piece of an apple, romaine leaf or a few baby carrots. Wilbur is more of a picky eater, but if I leave him alone, he does eat more of the pellets after he picks it almost clean of all the flavored pieces first.

Harvey is young enough and since she's pregnant, I would give her as much as she can eat. Bunnies to 6 months are supposed to be free fed pellets anyway, and she needs the extra food for the pregnancy. Look for Oxbow, even if its for adults its better than the junk ones. The difference is its timothy based instead of alfalfa based, which wont harm them whatsoever.

LaylaLop wrote
Here is a rescue, "3 Bunnies", and they may be able to help if you call or email them. They could probably tell you where the best place to get a spay/neuter is done, and/or help you out with the babies. They may even have a foster-home who could help if the babies really are overwhelming or you just need advice or someone to help sex the babies.

East Hartford, CT 06138-0605, USA
Email [email protected]
Phone (413)427-7345
I foster for 3Bunnies, and while I am looking into cheaper vets we can't take the bunnies. We could try to help with sexing. I am in pms with the OP now. Hopefully we can help some how.

I wanted to mention most vets will want to see the bunnies. I just called my vet the quote for a neuter was $220 not counting pre visit. I put out feelers in the rescue will let you know if anything comes up.

If I was you I would get the female done first. I spoke to the rescue and they said that is the cheapest that they can think of. Sadly some areas are getting even higher than that in CT.

I was considering getting Wilbur, the male done first while Harvey deals with her pregnancy. I still think I will see babies by Halloween, she is huge! Then she will be taking care of the babies for the next 8 to 10 weeks. In the meantime, I can get Wilbur done and he can have his time to heal.

I haven't called the vet back yet but I'm going to be taking him to the East Haven vet. I can understand if the vet wants to see the bunny first before doing the neuter, however I am really hoping that the vet is willing to do the neuter on the same day as the bunny check-up. It just would be that much easier for me because I work afternoons and evenings... and I sleep mostly during the day. Fingers crossed that the vet takes a credit card. But $50 for the check-up and $250 for the neuter would be worth it for them to get back together and be much happier.

I will definitely consider fixing the female, I know it would be beneficial to her and after this litter of kits I don't want any more. But truthfully, I won't be able to get it done till next year after the holidays. Which should be fine because she will be taking care of the baby bunnies anyways.

I have a few concerns. One is that Harvey has been pooping in her nest box instead of the litter box. I mean she is probably still using the litter box, but this is the first time I have seen some "pills" and soiled stuffing in the nest box. I don't know if she is trying to get the smell right since I cleaned the nest last weekend or is having accidents. When I see the "pills" or soiled stuffing, I take it and put it in the litter box to try and teach her, that stuff belongs in the litter box. Should I be concerned or is this just happening because she is super pregnant and ready to burst? If she keeps doing this and drops the babies in the same spot, will it be o.k. to take the babies out of the nest to clean out the nest box after they come? I don't want the babies to get sick because of Harvey treating the nest box as a nest and a toilet. What if she drops them somewhere else besides the nest box, can I pick them up and put them in the nest? I don't want to upset the mama, she is a little temper-mental.

You have to keep them apart a minimum of 6wks. If she has babies than longer. Trying to find homes for bunnies is not easy right now. So be prepared to have them for a bit.

Okay, are we sure that Harvey is actually pregnant? You said they had been separated for over 3 weeks back on the 11th. That would mean Harvey would have to be 5 weeks pregnant now. Bunny pregnancies are about 30 days long. How long ago did you take them to the vet? Sounds like the vet doesn't know much about bunnies and it can be difficult even for breeders to tell if their rabbits are pregnant until very late in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if the vet even got the sexes of the rabbits wrong. When you hold the bunnies on their backs and look at their genitals, what do you see? A boy will have visible testicles (like this). You should only be able to see his penis if you gently press down over his anus. It will stick out then. A girl bunny's genitals stick out too though and they may have a little upside down V on either side of their genitalia but won't have actual testicles.

I'm sorry you've ended up with so much more than you bargained for :( I applaud you though for caring about your bunnies and doing what's best for them! Even the spay/neuter rate from the other vet sounds high though. Like others have said, I would worry about neutering the male first because it's cheaper, would eliminate the humping, and of course also eliminate the risk of pregnancy. Though like JadeIcing said, you'd have to keep them separated for 6 weeks after the neuter because males still produce sperm for a long time and can impregnate a female.

Also, I have to ask... what did you mean when you wrote you may have to "do away" with Wilbur? To me that sounds like you would kill him and I hope that's not what you meant :( Oh and one last thing! Harvey is a lop, not a loop :) Though the idea of a loop eared bunny is pretty funny :D

First off welcome to RO.
I really feel for this guy. He has wonderful intentions and I praise him for trying to keep the bonded pair together. When Jason and I got Fraggles we did not know ANYTHING about bunny care. It makes me feel that if I had found RO in the beginning and shared my shortcomings (Fraggles living in a cardboard box, being fed greens off the bat and being taken from mommy at 4.3/4ths weeks) I would have most likely received a lot of negativity and felt like I should not post anymore. Then all of you would not have gotten to know Fraggles and how sad would you all be if you had no Fraggles in your online lives? :D I am not trying to point fingers but this guy has tried very hard to support and care for petshop bunnies who would have most likely been forgotten by now in someone elses care. He might turn out to be a great bun parent. You just never know.

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I last posted so I thought it would be a good time to update everyone on my bunny family. Wilbur and Harvey are doing great and still alive. It has been interesting to say the least!

I found a great rabbit vet and took them both in to get a checkup. If you remember, I thought Harvey was pregnant, she showed all the signs from making a nest, to barbering herself to place her fur in the nest. The vet told me that she wasn't really pregnant, instead having a false pregnancy! I was shocked, I guess I had warmed up to the idea of having baby bunnies, but I'm happy that I'm not going to find any dead ones. I ended up getting Wilbur fixed, he was just too aggressive. It cost me about $300 and I kept them divided for the next month after he was neutered.

Now they live together again in that great big rabbit hutch, and they really do love each other. They both lie next to each other and groom each other. But the dominate fighting never really stopped. Wilbur didn't seem as if he wanted to hump, but Harvey would start chasing him and nip at him as if to say, "what am I not good enough for you anymore!" She still goes into heat, probably twice a month I notice it, the excessive circling, nipping, fur pulling and such. Harvey then builds up the nest again, expecting babies that are not coming. I already have scheduled the appointment and she is getting spayed in a few weeks, which will cost me around $350. And once she is spayed, I will divide them again in different cages for a month so that she can heal and hopefully calm down.

I have gone to great lengths to bunny proof my home and feel I've been pretty successful. I keep them in their bunny mansion during the day, but they get to hop for hours when I get home from work and all around the house. I've gotten hard plastic cable covers so they don't eat my cable. I'm also really good at leaving things out for them to chew, instead of the furniture, like non-treated wood and used paper towel rolls. I've cut down a lot on Harvey's excess digging in her litter box by leaving a few strategically placed phone books in the cage. She absolutely loves digging through the phone books, then takes the pages and really makes the whole bottom of the cage look like one big nest. And I leave a litter box outside their cage that they do use when I let them out to hop. I've even trained Wilbur to jump into my lap for a yogurt drop, but the vet told me I had to cut down how many I give them because each one is like us eating a chocolate chip cookie. They do love apple slices, carrots and broccoli. I used to get baby carrots, but now I get whole carrots because they take turns stealing it from each other and chasing each other around for it… getting their exercise, lol.

Can't say I'm thrilled they are still sorting out the dominance thing, but at least they are not full blown fights, no blood, no screaming. I have a feeling it is just something I will have to live with, unless it does stop once Harvey is spayed. Wilbur has also decided that he doesn't want to go in the litter box, he actually likes lying in the litter box, so he is pooping and peeing under the ramp in the hutch. I have to clean their cage at least once a week so I guess that's that. Also, I have to feed them their food on the bottom floor of the hutch because they will throw the dish down the ramp from the second floor after eating, once the dish is empty. I did get them to stop eating the wooden ramp in between the floors by spraying it with vinegar. And Harvey has stopped attacking me when I change the food dish, which is a huge plus. She used to growl and lunge, even bite but not break the skin. I got her to stop by pulling her out of the cage every time she lashed out at me and telling her no. She doesn't like to be pulled out of her cage and thankfully realized that I would if she lunges at my hand, so she completely stopped (although she will still growl a little).

Besides the bad litter box habits of Wilbur… and the whole dominance thing… the only thing that he does now that I wish he would stop is he keeps biting at his water bottle and trying to pull it into the cage. It's like he feels the water isn't coming fast enough and bites at it. I don't like him doing this because he contorts it when he pulls on it and might end up twisting the nozzle away from the cage so now he and Harvey can no longer get to it. I'm about to try getting him a larger water bottle, but don't know if it will stop him from biting the nozzle and trying to pull it into the cage. I've read about water dishes and dispensers, that they work well, but I'm afraid with my bunnies attitude problem that they will spill it or knock it over. They throw their food dish when they are mad, I can see the same thing happening with a water dish, unless I wire tie it somehow, but then it will be a pain to refill most likely. They have access to two water bottles and he does this with both of them.

Recently, my problems have increased tenfold because I rescued a rabbit and thought I would be able to bond all three. I got Daisy from a co-worker who wanted to get rid of her, never wanted her. His brother bought her for his one year old son for Easter, and they neglected her for three years. For three years, the rabbit sat alone in it's cage, never getting out. He also never took it to the vet or even trimmed it's claws. Also, because he is allergic to timothy hay, he never feed it a proper diet, only alfalfa hay, some veggies and no pellets. When I got the rabbit, it's front two teeth were overgrown and sticking out of her mouth. I took her to the vet, got her claws trimmed and the vet told me the teeth aren't as bad and will fix itself now that she is getting a proper diet.

But the other two bunnies hate her and I don't think they will ever get along. I tried bonding, did the research but I'm telling you, they are just not compatible. Harvey is especially mad, I have never seen her so mad in all my life, her whole disposition changed when I brought in Daisy. I tried keeping Daisy in a penned in area, it's hard to find neutral territory because Harvey and Wilbur have run of the house now. Harvey tried to push in the pen on Daisy, just to get at her and bite her. Then she attacked Wilbur and I had to divide them, fur was flying that day! Wilbur had a little boxing match with Daisy, but they stopped when I told them to. Then I tried Harvey again and she ended up having a poop war with Daisy, talk about worst case scenario! It's the first time she ever had the "runs" if you want to call it that, it was more like poop slime. She threw it with her hind legs at Daisy and it was on the walls, stunk so bad! She smeared it all around the outside area of the pen that Daisy was in. I had to give Harvey a bath in the sink to wash her bottom, which was covered in slimy poo! The next time I tried, same result, Harvey had more slimy poo. To not upset her any further, I threw in the towel and had to move Daisy to the second floor of my house where she now lives. Once Harvey could not see Daisy, she stopped her poo problems.

Even though I am happy that I did rescue Daisy, I'm torn that she cannot play with my other bunnies and am finding it stressful to give everyone their own hop time. When I get up in the morning, I let Daisy hop around the kitchen so she can get out of her cage. Unfortunately, she doesn't move much outside of the cage and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that she was locked in a cage for three years. The kitchen works well because the other bunnies cannot see her. But they might be able to smell each other and I don't know how scared Daisy is. She perks up when she sees me and I am able to hold her without her wanting to run away, which is not the case with Wilbur and Harvey. I'm letting Daisy hop during the day because I let the other two out at night. But I would be lying if I didn't say this is really putting stress on my life, catering to three rabbits and having to now clean an additional cage. And I feel terrible leaving Daisy upstairs, mostly in the dark, while I let the other two buns hop.

Right now, I am trying to find Daisy a good home, but nobody wants her. The one person who was semi interested, I said no to because they didn't seem like they would take care of her well enough and I don't want this poor rabbit to be completely caged her whole life and neglected. I am overwhelmed, but I'm not going to just open the door and let her go, which is what my co-worker wanted to do. By the way, Daisy is not spayed, and I'll be honest, as a single homeowner, I'm doubtful I can afford another $350 to get her fixed. And getting a fourth rabbit is out of the question, I have my hands full with two and seeing how bunnies may or may not get along, I'm not risking it. But she is a good girl and definitely happy to be eating a proper bunny diet.

And that's where I'm at! I'm really trying everyone, you know I went into this almost completely inexperienced. I continue to learn and do what I can to make my bunnies happy.

Sorry again for the long post, just my nature being a writer and I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Any advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks again,
--- Billy

New to the forum. Love your stories. I'm told I'm long winded too, but hey, excellent to share your bunny experiences.

Sorry to hear about Daisey Glad you got her out of that bad situation. See "Easter Bunny". Understand that it is some what stressful to make sure you let all your bunnies run. I do it every day with four. It's a bit of work, but they are worth it.

But if it doesn't work, definitely look for a good "forever home" for Daisy. She needs it after what she went through, and deserves someone to love her and take proper care of her.

You have to do what's best for you and your original two bunnies. It happens. No one should EVER hold it against you if it doesn't work. You try. And remember, bunnies are very particular on who they bond with. And very set in their ways.

Wishing you all the luck. Please let us know how it goes.

K :)

Well, Lots of people on here answered quite a bit of what I was going to tell you so I wont waist my time. You got lots of wonderful answers and I cant wait to hear some updates on your bunnies.
Stick around the forum, keep reading, and Im sure you and your bunnies will all end up being fine!

Oh, and welcome! :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back