Hello! New-ish Rabbit Owner & New to Rabbits Online!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celery

Reaction score
Hello! :wave: My name is Leah and I'm really happy to have found this site!

I've been in love with bunnies ever since I was a child. I got a rabbit when I was 5 years old and Betsy the boy (thought he was a girl when I first got him) was with me until I was 16. I loved my rabbit, but my Mom did most of the rabbit care, so I'm not super knowledgable when it comes to anything beyond the basics.

I'm grown up now with kids of my own and have been wanting to get a rabbit for a while. Well, a few weeks ago, my daughter and I found a sweet bun hopping around our yard. It was a chilly, wet night, so I brought her into the house. I have tried finding the owner by placing posters around the neighborhood and posting on craigslist. No luck finding buns previous owner. :brownbunny My whole family has become very attached to the sweet bun and so we decided to keep her. We bunny proofed the house, my husband built her a very nice 2 level indoor cage. She potty trained really quick and is part house bunny, part cage. We don't leave her out when we are not home. A week ago, bunny started building a nest in the nest box area of her cage. I thought maybe it was a false pregnancy but her abdomen had gotten noticeably bigger and I came to the conclusion that she was most likely pregnant. I researched frantically and had my husband build an actual nest box to put in the nesting area, to which she quickly turned into a very nice nest. Perfect from what I've seen on-line. Last night, she kindled 8 kits. All are alive and seem healthy. I'm going to start another thread in the appropriate area on the site for some advice on the matter. :? I'm a little anxious since I don't really know what I'm doing and I want to provide honey bunny and her kits with the best care possible!

I look forward to getting to know all of you and I'm so grateful that I found this site!! Hope everyone is having a great day!! :):rabbithop

One more thing about me.... in addition to rabbits, I love cats and guinea pigs! We currently have 4 rescue guinea pigs, all taken from bad situations. We also have 3 rescue cats, aged 15, 9, and 8. Our goldfish Rory has been with us for 7 years. We also have 1 hermit crab. Our new family member, honey bunny, seems to fit in perfectly and has no issues with the cats. They play together and get along swimmingly.

All of ours have been rescues and have never seen an ad for a lost bunny.

Thanks for the reply! :)

The bunny we found is so sweet that she was definitely someone's pet- not a meat rabbit. I figured it was possible someone might try to find their lost bunny, but no. It's ok though, we are happy to add the sweet bun to our family! :)

Hello there and welcome to the forum, what a surprise it must have been to you for her to be pregnant. Quite an adventure :)

Hello there and welcome to the forum, what a surprise it must have been to you for her to be pregnant. Quite an adventure :)

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, it was a big surprise! I woke up one morning and she had pulled a bunch of her fur out and stuck it in her little box. I was freaked out and thought she must be sick or something! When I googled it, I found out about fur pulling but I figured she must be having a false pregnancy because she didn't look pregnant. I later found out that rabbits often don't look pregnant! Lol. I think I'm starting to feel a bit more relaxed with the kits. I've got a hang of checking their bellies and have figured out what a full verses empty one looks like! At first I had no clue, is it full, is it not, I don't know!! :) The doe is still being very attentive and just fed them. She's been feeding them right around 10:30, so she's a little early. I'm glad I was paying attention because the same kit that hitched a ride out of the nest yesterday did it again today! I'm still trying to figure out a way to make the upstairs of the cage kit safe.

Latest posts

Back