Hello I'm new.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryGirl

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new around here and hope know one minds me posting. I'm Aly, 22from Colorado. Any other CO people out there? I recently lost my 2 bunboys in the last few months one to illness and one to age. :cry4:Aftermuch thought and discussion I have decided to get another bunny. My 2boys were Netherland Dwarfs. I am looking into maybe a larger breed (myboys were both under 3 lbs) maybe a Lionhead. I am talking with abreeder now.

Both of mine were bought from pet stores (not something I want to doagain for diff. reasons). I am wondering if someone can tell me what tolook for in a breeder both good and bad. If anyone has a Lionhead canyou tell me how big they get, or any info. about them at all? Also whatis a good size cage for a larger breed?

Thank you so much and I look forward to meeting you all and your buns.

Aly:bunnydance:

Hi there, Welcome to the forum. Sorryto hear you lost you two buns so closely together but at least they arestill together at rainbow bridge.

Im not too sure than lionheads get that big. I have a Newzealand white called Sammy, she is only 7 months old and she is quitebig, i love the big buns. If you look at recentpost in the bun blogs section you should find some threads from meattaching pics of Sammy. I too bought her from a pet shop andwithin a month of having her she developed head tilt. She hasnow stopped her medication and although she will have a permanent headtilt she is very happy and loves giving me lots of loving.

i dont recomend buying from pet shops i would get in contact with arescue home in your area they probably will have lots of different bigbreeds.

Oddly -- and tragically -- I was replying toyour post with a note to check out TinysMom and Just Jack's blogs --Tinysmom is a Lionhead breeder here and Jack, who became a moderatorforawhile,got four of her babies. As Iwas composing the post, Jack logged on for the first time ina couple of months. I thought it was destiny until justbefore I had a chance to PM him and ask him to reply to your post, hepostedthe news that he lost hisgirlPhoebe. :(

Hopefully TinysMom will still feel up to telling you about Lionheads.

Your guys were very cute. There's so much joy and so muchsorrow in the world of rabbits. But the joy conquersall. :)

I have a dwarf, a dwarf cross and a little mini-Rex. My dwarfis my bonded mate and heart bunny, but I have to say that littlemini-rex is IMO the most awesome bunny on the planet. (I maybe a tad biased on that one).

I've also got a mini-lop and a ... nondescipt black bunny.They're all rescues.They're all friendly and welladjusted bunnies.

A lot of purebreds come into the shelters. (Maybe Baci orHaley can dig up rescue centers and shelters in your area).

And I know there's a lot of breeder's bunnies that could userescuing. If they don't fit the breeder program,depending on the breeder, they're sold off soemtimes as snake or raptorfood :( or as pet stock, if you don't care about pedigrees.That's a rescue in my book. Anything but a petstore. (I wish they'd stop selling live mamals).

Cage wise, you can build huge cages out of NIC (Neat Idea)cubes. There's a whole section on cages in the ResourceCenter, Bunny 101 below. (I'd link it but my computer's notworking right).

Good luck finding just the right bunnies! And welcome to the forum!

sas :)and the gang of five :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Hi! :wave2

I'm sure the breeders here could give you good ideas on what to lookfor in a good breeder. I personally wouldn't trust anyonethat sells their rabbits to pet stores. Many good breedersare too concerned about the welfare of their rabbits to dothat. You never know what kind of person will end up withthem.

Lionheads aren't very big, they're just fluffy. I got to peta gorgeous buck yesterday at the pet store. His owner/breederbrought him in to show a friend who works there because the little guywon Best of Breed on Sunday. Under all that fur he was thesame size as my dwarf hotots.

I don't know if you're set on getting babies from a breeder, but thereare rescues in Colorado. Check at your local shelters, asthey don't always advertise their rabbits. I've seen quite afew purebred rabbits in my local Humane Society, often mini rexes,holland and mini lops, netherland dwarfs, and lionheads are gettingcommon. There's also an HRS chapter with lots of bunsavailable, including bonded pairs and sometimes babies:
http://www.coloradohrs.com/

It's a pretty cool site to check out regardless because there's info on local vets, bunnysitters, and more.

You can probably find more rabbits on Petfinder, although many sheltersdon't keep their files completely up-to-date, especially with rabbits.
http://www.petfinder.com/

I love using NIC cubes. They're easy, cheap, and makefantastic, sturdy cages. We have members here with rabbitsthat are 10+ lbs in multi-level NIC cages. Another goodoption is a big dog crate. If you buy it new, it's moreexpensive than a similar-sized or larger NIC cage though. Youcan also use dog exercise pens if you put something down for the floorand the bunnies aren't escape artists.

Where in CO are you located? I found some shelter bunnies in need of homes.

The main one is the Colorado House Rabbit Society, which Naturesteeposted the link to above. Heres an example of one little girl I found,her name is Jessie and looks like she's a lionhead..very cute!

Jessie_06-126.jpg

Thanks everyone. We found a rabbit rescue and we're going to look tomorrow evening then we will go from there.

I am so sorry to hear about the lose of Phoebe.:bunnyangel::(

Thanks again everyone

Ally :bunnydance:

Welcome to the forum CountryGirl! :wave:

So sorry about your 2 bunboys. I have a NetherlandDwarf doe, and she's thesweetest thing there is. She'sso sweet, that I want toget another bunny (maybe aHolland Lop). The only thing holdingme back, is my wifedisapproves. ;)

Good Luck with your visit at the rabbit rescue.

Rainbows! :D

How did I miss your post? :)

Hi, Aly! Welcome to the site!!

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your babies, but also happy to hear thatyou're getting some new friends! I'm sure angel boys will belooking out for them the whole time. They're suchcuties! :)

I don't know much about breeders, and such, but I wanted to send you a little welcome and send you hugs. :hug:

Much love and hugs,

Rosie*

Back