Hello, I'm new! (long post)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cecil

Reaction score
My name is Kaitlin :) My username, Cecil, refers to my pet bearded dragon. I'm an animal enthusiast, and proud lizard-lover. I'm a reptile-crazed girl but I do love my fuzzies.
In the past and present I own(ed) multiple types of fish, cats, dogs, guinea pigs, lizards, snakes, birds, rats, gerbils, ferrets, hamsters, mice, and rabbits. I'm a junior in high school and soon to work at my local pet store.

As you can tell I'm an all around animal person and my pets are my best friends. The two rabbits we had in the past were unfortunately taken care of wrongly. Not that they were mistreated, just they weren't given proper habitats or diets. One was in a small Super Pet cage, and the other was in a medium-sized Wabitat with a wire floor. I was younger at this time and had no say in the matter, and I honestly didn't know any better anyways. We eventually rehomed the rabbits to a family friend because my mother thought they were too stinky.

Now that I'm older and more mature, I've convinced my mother to let me try with my own rabbit. I will pay for everything myself and make sure there is enough extra cash for vet bills and emergencies. I've told her how rabbits really aren't as smelly as ours were if taken care of and cleaned up after properly (this is what I've learned from my research).

I plan to adopt from this rabbit shelter when the time comes. It's a bit of a trip but I just don't feel comfortable buying live animals from pet stores any more (our local one is OK but not the best), and I know it's better to adopt.

As far as caging, I have a double-unit ferret nation cage that I will be placing side-by-side, giving the rabbit 6ft by 2ft of footprint, plus the shelves that I may put in. Although I'm open to suggestions on a better kind of caging, such as the NIC cages I see a lot. I just happen to have this cage from when we had ferrets, and we never got rid of it. It will be washed down of course before being used. For food I will feed oxbow timothy hay, oxbow bunny basic pellets, and fresh greens and veggies with occasional fruits. The rabbit will be allowed lots of free-roaming time in my room (occasionally throughout the rest of the house if I feel I can trust my dogs with it, although I may just put the dogs outside while the bunny is out roaming) where I have started proofing the wires and anything that a rabbit could get into trouble with.

My only question I have is this: I've read a lot that bunnies really aren't cuddly types of animals, and I'm fine with just petting and playing, but is this really true? The places I've read this were from older posts (2010 and before) and I'm just a little skeptic about how much rabbit husbandry has been researched since them. I wouldn't mind sitting on the bed or couch with my bun just relaxing, but if most rabbits don't like that then I won't force them. I do know they don't like being picked up due to being a prey animal, plus the height.

Thanks for reading my incredibly long post, or even some of it! I'll be sure to post pictures of the cage and bunny when I get him/her!

Welcome to RO! Sounds like you have done loads of research and good for you :) I love bearded dragons and lizards as well. Although I don't own one I've come close. But now I'm just too obsessed with my buns.

To answer your question, generally speaking bunnies really aren't that cuddly. But of course that varies greatly from bun to bun. I also think the amount of time and handling you put into your bun can effect how much they like to cuddle.

And yes you are right they really don't like to be picked up either. If you have a rabbit that handles it well, they simply tolerate it but more than likely they aren't enjoying it.

Rabbits can be affectionate in different ways. I think being on the floor with them is one of the best ways to bond. My female loooooves being next to me and getting head scratches and will follow me around for attention. But for me to pick her up and "cuddle her" and restrict her movement and freewill, yes she let's me do it but I know she doesn't like it so I don't force her. So I guess how cuddly they are can depend on your definition as well. By rabbit standards my female is very affectionate and likes my company but I still wouldn't describe her as liking to cuddle.

So long answer short, it depends on each rabbit and depends on what your definition is. I think if you visit a rabbit rescue you can see each rabbit and get a feel for their personality and what is the best fit for you.

Good luck!

I think it depends on the bun, If you get a young well handled bun like say from a breeder i think they have a ton of potential to become cuddly, Pet store buns who probably come from mills not so much. I think the more you work with your bun the better he/she will be ! I would spend a nice amount of time at the shelter to see each buns personality to see who works the best for you =]

Im so excited to see pictures! and congrats on your upcoming bun=]

Thank you both!

@Agnesthelion - I always make it a point to research my pets before I get them haha, I'm a little ocd about my pets. I like to make sure they are getting the best I can offer.

@Moochyesh - Hopefully I'll be getting the bun within a month or two :) Although it shouldn't be too far off; once I get this new job started I'll be able to finish setting up the cage and get all the supplies. I had to quit my last job due to school starting back up for this school year (they were only open during the mornings on weekdays), or I might have already gotten a bun :D

Well I may be getting a rabbit sooner than I thought! I got my allowance today and bought the basics (food, hay, some toys etc) and have the rest of it ready. Today I saw an ad on craigslist for a free rabbit, and had to check it out just to see (I scan CL a lot just out of curiosity). He's a gorgeous dutch rabbit, 2 years old. I emailed the poster and he seems quite knowledgeable about rabbits from what he's told me about him. He is not neutered but he (the owner) is fine with me neutering him, fed him greens and veggies, hay and rabbit pellets, and was sincerely concerned with finding him a good home. We plan to visit him Sunday :) I'll let you all know how it goes!

Last edited:
That´s great. You look as though you´ve done lots of research and I´m sure he´ll have a great home and lots of love. I have three and they´re all different on cuddling and petting. Snowy doesn´t mind being picked up and is a real licker. He loves to lick my face, my hands, my clothes, everything. Bandy has got used to being handled as he has long hair and has to be groomed every day. At first, he struggled, now he´ll sit for 20 minutes while I do it. He´s very skittish but will come running at any sign of food. Houdini isn´t a cuddler but I can pick him up and he´ll stay still for a while. He´s now taken to jumping on the sofa with me in the evenings and digs and licks the cushions and my clothes and will happily let you stroke him then. So, they´re all different.

if the bunny you´re going to see is used to people and handling, he may be fine, however, I would neuter him asap as, at that age, he´s probably spraying and territorial and a bit messy. Wondered why they were re-homing him ???

I didn't list why he was rehoming since I didn't feel it was a public matter, but it does say it in his ad so I guess it's ok. He's getting married soon and on top of that having a baby. I know a lot of people would say "what is the difference if you have another child? Are you going to get rid of the first one?" but I've never been one to judge; it does seem like a lot at once to handle.

The owner says he's quite a good bunny and likes attention, they've had him since he was a baby (sent me a baby pic and a recent pic) so I'm assuming they've worked with him at least some if he's friendly like he says.

I do plan to neuter him with my next paycheck :) I have yet to ask my vet how much he charges but here's hoping it doesn't break me! Lol but even if it takes two or three checks it will be done.

Actually, the reason to neuter a male is behavioral. Unspayed females have a very high rate of reproductive cancers, while this isn;t as much of an issue with unneutered males. So you can hold off on his neutering if you want to. I'd give him a chance to settle in first.

Being an adult, he should have timothy pellets rather than alfalfa.

Oh, I thought there was a Timothy based one too though? I'll check the pet store again later today and check which one it is they have. They had one for youngsters and one for adults.

Ah, I'm at the pet store and the food is "oxbow bunny basics/t (essentials) adult rabbit food" made with Timothy hay. Would this work?

Last edited:
Kaitlin, I asked just in case it was maybe due to behavioural issues. I can understand him as I´m sure that the new baby will take up all his time and he may feel that the bun won´t get the attention he needs.

As for neutering, you can maybe see how he is when you get him home and decide when it needs doing, I personally found that after neutering mine were much better behaved and much cleaner.Am looking forward to some pics of him.

I agree, children are a lot more time consuming than a rabbit. It's all for the best for the bunny :)

These are the two pictures he sent to me, one is him as a baby and the other is fairly recent. I'm unsure if I'm allowed to post photos that aren't mine but I do not take credit for the photos.

I'll hopefully set up the cage tonight so it's ready to go for him, so I'll get pics of that too!

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

He looks almost like the blue dutch. I want a dutch so badly I hear they make AMAZING buns. My vet charges 125 for a spay but I found out just by calling around and asking all different prices...

He is just to cute, what a lucky mom!!!

I called my vet and they charge $84 for a neuter :) And I too think he's gorgeous!
My vet isn't a specialized rabbit vet but he did help us with our rabbits before, specifically when one had the snuffles.

Oh, he is adorable, i just love dutchies and he´s got a lovely colour. I bet you can´t wait to get him now. They´re all so different but some are hyper and they are good jumpers but I´m sure you´ll just love him. I can´t wait to see pics when you get him home, I´m so excited for you.

Thanks! I'm super excited to be getting him :)

Edit: Here are some pics of Skip's future home! :D As I said before it's 6 ft long, 2 ft wide, and 2 ft tall. He's got a crinkly run tunnel (which I may remove and just use for out-of-cage time since it takes up a lot of space), several rattle/shaker toys, and a hanging baby toy that rattles as well. I've got lots of paper/cardboard cup holders from fast food places, I use them for my feeder bugs for my lizards, and may use the unused holders as tear-up toys. I've figured out I can bend one in half, stuff it with hay and kind of bend it closed for a fun toy :) I'll show you what I mean if anyone's interested.
I put plastic trash bags around the edge where the hay and food will be, is that ok? Or is it bad if they chew on it? I'm sure he might chew on it or pull it through the bars but not sure if it will hurt him if he eats a piece?

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked up my bunny! He's so sweet! He's a little shy and scared right now but I think he will warm right up.

Edit:Got him home now, he's in his new cage marking his territory lol. And that includes me! I was clipping his nails (I would have waited but they kept getting caught in the blankets so they needed trimmed, plus they were pretty long) and I must have touch him in some place to trigger a mating response. He bit onto my arm and started going crazy haha. He was making these sounds (not sure how to describe them, kind of like a deep, short "hmm") Before he did it and licking my arm. He's done it three times now while I was on the floor watching him, once to my knee and again to my other arm. It may have just been something I did to trigger this, but the bites do hurt and I'd rather not it happen very often. So when I can (after he's settled in; I think that will not take to long!) I'm taking him to the V-E-T :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back