Hello Guys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwyn G

Reaction score
Hey Guys !!! I am new to this but I recently adopted a 2-3 year old Dutch bunny named Ava! She is super shy and is opening up since we changed her environment from a small cage to an open room . Ava loves nose kisses and bananas. Can anyone give me any tips to keep her a healthy and happy bunny ?

Attachments

• FBEE23DB-61F2-409C-8383-888959C54C8C.jpeg
    FBEE23DB-61F2-409C-8383-888959C54C8C.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 9
Can you show us a picture of her set up so we can give you ideas and tips if needed? Also, have you bunny proofed her room?

image.jpg

Her home has an under neath hide place which I fill with hay. She has two bowls on the upper part one with water one with pellets. I used the cage she came in as a litter box to save money so far it’s going well.

Ok so first HUGE No-no is the cat litter. You should use paper bedding like Carefresh, Yesterday's News, or my and many other's personal favorite horse stall wood pellets. You can find this at Rural King or Tractor Supply. ( I think there are these in Ohio) if not you can get them at a local farm store. I can get a 40 lbs bag for about $6. And she needs as much hay as big as she is every day. What is her diet like? What brand of pellets, veggies, and type of hay?

She needs more toys if all she has is what's in her cage hanging up and the wooden toy on the floor. All of my bun's favorite are toilet paper rolls. They also love cardboard boxes just cut 2 holes for her to get in and out of.

you can’t really tell but it is the paper pellet litter it looks off in the picture. She has about 4 generous handfuls of hay under her house . I give her 1/4 cup of pro select series in the morning which last until about 2. Then I give her kale and 2 baby carrots at 3. At night Give her another 1/4 cup of pellets which she doesn’t finish by morning most days. She is only 4 lbs

image.jpg

Here are her toys which she destroys. I made the cardboard toys and put hay in them which she really enjoys

Oh sorry! It looks like clay cat litter in there. But I would highly recommend the wood pellets as they absorb urine and odor very well and they are super cheap and you don't have to use much as they expand. She only needs 1/4 cup of pellets per day. Watch the kale if she starts having urination issues they are high in calcium which can cause bladder sludge. Romaine or any type of lettuce is good but no Iceberg lettuce. Be sure to introduce all-new veggies slowly. And she only needs 1-2 tablespoons of treats a day. So that's either 2 small baby carrots or one large baby carrot. It looks like your doing great so far! What type of hay do you give her?

I give her Kaytee Timothy Hay and sometimes I give her these grass treats for an hour then take them away. I’ve given her bananas and a little bit of parsley. Her old own kept her on 1 1/4 c of pellets a day so I’m slowly changing her diet so she doesn’t get an upset stomach

image.jpg

Timothy hay is best, good. Those are fine but with the bananas, she only needs a 1-inch slice of banana or the baby carrot(s) per day. Ok good for slowly changing it. The rule is 1/4-1/2 cup of rabbit for every 5 pounds of rabbit. With the 1/4 cup being for the smaller breeds.

Latest posts

Back