Hello from Ontario, Canada

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snagliph

Reaction score
Hi there. I've only had rabbits for a few months. My husband is the guilty one - he brought her home ;) He was driving to work one morning (running late at that) when he saw a white rabbit hopping along the road. White? Wild rabbits are not white... so he stopped, walked up to her, she looked at him, he looked at her, and he picked her up and took her into the car. From work I get the phone call: guess what? I've found a rabbit! Anyway, hubby brought bunny home, she was white (with some orange spots)and once I sexed her she was clearly a girl. We named her Alice.

We searched for an owner, but despite our efforts no-one wanted to claim the lovely Alice.

Now, being female and a stray I immidiately assumed that Alice must be pregnant. Sure enough, 3 weeks later she gave birth to a lovely litter of two boys and two girls. Since then they have been weaned and I've homed two of them. I've decided that I might keep the remaining female if I can't find her a home, though the boy has to go since I don't really have the set-up to keep two sets of bunnies.

Anyway, everyone loves Alice, and the babies are adorable too. They are all super friendly.

I am in a bit of a dillema though... It appears that Alice is nesting again... I didn't think there had been any chance for her to get bred, but the current events seem to show me wrong. No hair pulling yet, but carrying straw is a pretty sure sign from what I understand... But more on that in my main post :p

Anyways, since Alice is so sweet we have decided to keep her. She is good on a harness, loves attention, and while she will dig a bit and nip when she's tired of being held, it is pretty mild behaviour.

We are living near Peterborough, Ontario, and it would be nice to meet other local bunny owners :)

Hi! I'm somewhat local, living in Ottawa.

Glad you guys took in sweet Alice. She could very well be having a false pregnancy, as most females do. My last female had regular falsies, every month like clockwork. Things usually calm down in a few days.

Keeping a friend for her is a sweet idea, but you may need to have them separate for awhile even for two females. Once baby reaches sexual maturity, around 3 months, she and mom are likely to fight and will need to be separated until they can be spayed, and then re-introduced. It can be a hassle, and spaying is expensive, but it's worth doing as the overwhelming majority of femal rabbits get cancer if left unspayed. Of course, because mom had a litter she is not at as high of a risk, but it's a good idea regardless.

Welcome to RO and also to being a bunny mom!

Thanks for the welcome :) I am really hoping it is a false pregnancy, it would be a huge relief. Ideally I want to find homes for all the babies, I have enough critters here already, another bunny wouldn't be too bad, but one is best. In addition to Alice I have:

Lola - chinchilla, Flower - cockatiel, Tango - bearded dragon, Marguarita and Monty - milk snakes, unnamed 5 geckos, Shadow and Midna - cats, Zorro and Chickadee - dogs, various fish (my son's).

That's enough indoor critters :biggrin:. We do live on a farm, so it's not too bad. Not sure what our current barn cat count it - it has been about 14 but a few of the more seniors have been absent lately and may be gone :( We also have about 14 horses on property.

Anyone local want a baby bunny? lol

As for Ottawa, are there any bunny events around here at all? I like the idea of hopping, though I don't know if Alice would do it (she's great on the harness though).

My grandparents live in Peterborough :) They used to have a lake lot out in Buckhorn (thorn? Can't remember, I was young.) I used to trap and release black squirrels out there, so much fun.

Welcome to RO, congrats on the new addition, and behalf of bun lovers everywhere thank you for rescuing Alice and her babies!

Yup, Buckhorn isn't far from here :) I'm glad my hubby thought to stop for Alice. As much as I don't need more pets, I'm happy to have her.

Alice has gone as far as pulling fur and everything... it's a lovely nest. I don't feel anything... so I'm hopeful :)

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Welcome!
Well unless she has been with a male rabbit in the past 30 days she is definitely not pregnant!
How old was the male baby when separated from her? Also how long ago?

farmerchick, that's so cool that you are so close :) As for Alice, she's definitely not having babies :) The babies were weaned at 6 weeks+ (over a few days), so no chance of sexual maturity. I've separated the boy and girl babies now and Alice is happily living with her daughter for the moment. No more nesting *phew*

Latest posts

Back