Hello from Melissa & Hubert :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa20104

Reaction score
I found this forum tonight after googling and trying to figure out what is going on with my rabbit, Hubert. I have had Hubert for a little over a year; my husband got him for me. He was a baby when we got him, so he is still fairly young. He is my first rabbit and I just adore him. :inlove: Earlier this week, he didn't get excited when I came home and I immediately suspected something was up. I offered a treat and he had no interest in it -- then I was really disturbed. It also did not seem like he had too many poops in his cage, which was alarming. He had not eaten his pellets, but was willing to eat hay. I took him to the vet yesterday and they examined his teeth and stomach. They said his temperature was normal and he was not dehydrated. They did some tests on a fecal sample and those were normal. However, they did say that his poop was smaller and drier than normal (which I agreed with).

He seems a lot better today and has been pooping, more active in general, eating a lot of hay, and drinking. His poop looks more normal (bigger, etc). He still has no interest in treats and if he has eaten any pellets, it wasn't a lot. He did eat some carrot baby food, per advice of the vet (I am slightly paranoid I will find out this was bad advice). What do you all think so far? Are there other steps I should be taking to help Hubert recover? I suspect he had/is hopefully beginning to recover from GI-stasis -- does that sound right?

251807_10100191892709352_365677072_n.jpg

558347_10100191894146472_1643089876_n.jpg

Sorry I have no advice. We've only had Twigs for a few months. I just wanted to say welcome and he is so cute.

Also you might want to post this the infirmary section.

What does his diet consist of & how much of each [including which specific greens]?

Usually it's pumpkin or squash baby food that's recommended rather than squash. Carrot would be ok if the sugar content isn't higher than squash or pumpkin.

Tummy massages are recommended for gas/stasis & they wouldn't hurt even though he's getting better. And it's a good idea to get some baby-type simethicone drops in case they're needed.

So I'm glad he seems to be getting better. He looks like such a sweet guy. Welcome to the forum.

I'm fairly new to this forum and rabbit. So I don't have any advices, sorry. But do want to say hi!

Hubert looks the same as my Mandeville but Mandeville is a little girl.

Good luck:pray:

Melissa, I tried to send you a PM, but you have it disabled.

Honey & I are not that far from you part of the time & her vet is in Chicago, so I was wondering what vet you take Hubert to.

Hi Melissa and Hubert

Oh My Goodness, what an adorable bunny. I love how he sits on the back of the sofa, that is just too cute.

Glad to hear he is feeling better. I totally agree with the baby-type simethicone (I use Ovol). As soon as I see one of mine not taking a treat they a dose of it and lots of tummy rubbies.

looking forward to hearing more about Hubert.

Susan:)

Thanks, Sooska. Hubert is still doing well today. How do you administer the simethicone?

Lake, I haven't settled down with a permanent rabbit vet for Hubert yet. I had limited options to get Hubert an appointment due to me being at work all week and also having a foot injury that interferes with my driving. I took him to the closest vet that would see a rabbit after I got off for the day. My MIL recommended them to me because she knew someone that worked there who breeds rabbits. There were actually two vet techs there that were very familiar with bunnies, so they helped out a lot :) I need to do more research on a more rabbit knowledgeable vet for Hubert, though.

In use small 1 ml syringe. (no needle on it of course lol) put it in their mouth sometimes on the side of their mouth or sometimes in the frront part of their mouth. They are all so different so it depends which one i am giving it too.

The ovol comes with an eyedropper type that you could use. I don't really like it that much though.

Susan:)

Latest posts

Back