Hello from Clinton, MO

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treasuresandstuff

Reaction score
Thank you for this awesome forum! I am on one like it for my Quail, my corn snakes and my ferrets. I need one for my gerbils and one for my mice :biggrin2: If you can't tell I LOVE animals! I got my rabbits at a swap at Jacob's Cave here in MO this past weekend. Diamond I was told was a Lionhead, then a LH breeder came by and said she is a double maned lionhead, then I was told in a yahoo group she is a Teddy Lionhead?? Boy that is confusing! Here is a photo of her:

Diamond.jpg

We also got what we were told is an AFL, but he is the size of a Mini Lop, NOT a holland. :? He also came badly matted and in need of a good nail trim. Because of the extent of the grooming neglect we figured he had never been handled before and so far we seem to be right. The poor dear. I had to go out and buy a pair of curved nail scissors to be able to get close enough to the skin to remove some of the mats without cutting him. I still have not gotten all of them but at least he can walk now. Here is a photo of him, sorry for the hack job on his coat:

Burnie.jpg

I am also sorry for their cages. That is what they came in. We are trying to raise the money for a double decker indoor hutch that would be really great for them. You can see it here:

http://www.rabbitcagesource.com/rabbit-hutches/rabbit-hutches/warepremiumplusdoubledeckerhutch.cfm

I really like how nice it is and it gives a lot of room I think. They both get out of cage time in a safe room, so even if it is a touch cramped they get to stretch.

Any advice on taming the poor AFL guy would be great. He is only a year and a half. Diamond is about 8-9 weeks old.

NIC cages use that cube shelving right? The holes in that stuff are too big for their feet. I need to get them out of their bedding to keep it from matting their fur.

I don't know about him being an AFL unless he is just a pet quality. He is almost twice the size of the one I had several years ago. Mini lops are supposed to look like a basket ball with dangling ears and this guy is the size of a basket ball. I read that real AFLs are the size of holland lops. I'm thinking he might be an f2 or 3 cross?

Hello Kathy and welcome to you and your bunnies..

treasuresandstuff wrote:
NIC cages use that cube shelving right? The holes in that stuff are too big for their feet. I need to get them out of their bedding to keep it from matting their fur.
Yep NIC is the cage shelves. I made one for my kids and wont go back to using a store bought cage.
You don't need bedding in the cage, just need litter in the box, that will potty train them.

I don't know about him being an AFL unless he is just a pet quality. He is almost twice the size of the one I had several years ago. Mini lops are supposed to look like a basket ball with dangling ears and this guy is the size of a basket ball. I read that real AFLs are the size of holland lops. I'm thinking he might be an f2 or 3 cross?
Because of this fur leads me to believe he's AFL and not a Holland. If you post a picture of him in the Rabbitry section the breeders would be happy to help ID him.

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:

Yep NIC is the cage shelves. I made one for my kids and wont go back to using a store bought cage.
You don't need bedding in the cage, just need litter in the box, that will potty train them.

Because of this fur leads me to believe he's AFL and not a Holland. If you post a picture of him in the Rabbitry section the breeders would be happy to help ID him.[/quote]

Ok, I tried that. Had the girl in with a litter box all day on a solid floor with the grid just around like a regular solid bottom cage and now her feet are baddly matted. She NEEDS a wire floor. So does the other. These are not rabbits like dutch that do not have this issue.

I never said he was a Holland :rollseyes . Sigh, I am saying he has fur like and AFL but is the size of a MINI Lop. Thank you for your thoughts though.

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

They are both very cute. I am glad you got them out of such a terrible situations. Now they will know what its like to be loved.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

I had to post here again to introduce our newest additions.
First there is Carmella, formerly "Fluffy". She is a 2 year old Lionhead doe, formerly a classroom rabbit. Her former owner, a teacher, decided to rehome her when the school she works for changed their policy on pets in school. Here is a photo of her taken shortly after arriving in our home.

Carmella7-08-10A.jpg

We were told her color was Caramel, but after researching we believe she is a Chocolate Torte.

The 2nd is Carlito, a New Zealand mix. Roughly 12 weeks old, he was destined for the processing plant but we got them to sell him to us. We believe he is a sable point. It is our hope to bond him to Carmella once they are altered.
Here is his photo:

Carlito7-08-10A.jpg

Latest posts

Back