Hello from Canada!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMK

Reaction score
Hi there, Just wanted to introduce myself! I recently adopted what I was told is a dwarf hotot crossed with a lionhead. I sure see the dwarf hotot, not so sure about the lionhead though! He is really a gentlemen and I am loving this guy already! I don’t think he was ever given much attention or handled much, but is already coming around in such a short time. His nails were really overgrown, but he was SO good in letting me trim them down.

My only problem with him is that I don’t think he was ever given veggies, so ever since introducing them, he doesn’t seem to care much for his hay. He picks at it, but only seems to want pellets and veggies. Not sure what to do about that! I’ll try him on a few different kinds and see if that makes a difference.

We have two cats and he has been slowly introduced to them. He has his cage in a separate room, so he can have a break from them. My older cat has visited him in there and they get on so well. The rabbit came right on up to the cat and sniffed him, decided he was okay and now they lounge around together. The rabbit is most happy to come out of him cage when my cat is out! My younger cat is still restricted to just him through the cage for now!

I would love to hear any and all advice and look forward to talking more!

Welcome to the forum!

It makes sense that if he's filling up on pellets and veggies, he wouldn't be hungry enough to eat hay. Maybe you could let us know how much your rabbit weighs and how much veg and pellets you're feeding as well as the type of hay.

I thought I would share some photos, as I just think he is the cutest dude! I need to upgrade his cage from what he came with. Right now it is being used more as his "comfort zone" with an attached run. Last night he just started doing binkies, which was so cute to see!

I think he might be above average size for a dwarf hotot...maybe if he is a cross? I would say about 3lbs, but I will try to actually way him. He is getting about a heaping cup of kale, cilantro, and carrots. I sometimes add basil or carrot greens. I have taken his pellets down from 1/4 to 1/8 a cup to try to encourage him to eat his hay. He was picking at it a bit more last night.

He's cute! Sounds like you're on the right track. Just watch how much carrot he gets, because of how sugary they are, they're best given as a treat:)

Hi and welcome to RO!

I have dwarf hotots as well. I have one that is a hotot/lionhead mix too, and also doesn't have any of the lionhead traits either, except for the size. She's around 4 lb. I also have a 3 lb hotot that looks a lot like your guy. 3 lbs is on the large size for the breed, but not uncommon. I love my little hotots. The boys are big sweethearts, the girls... kind of moody :) but I love them all. They tend to be a pretty energetic breed, and like to zip right under my feet while I'm walking, so watch out for that. I've learned to do the critter shuffle when they are out playing :) Another thing to just be aware of with the breed, is they tend to have a sensitive digestive system. So just watch out for changes in the poop, and be careful with sugary starchy foods.

Sounds like he already has a buddy to hang out with. That's great that he gets along with your cat :)

Reactions: MMK
Thanks guys, I will definetely watch with the carrots. I was giving him about 1-2 small circular slices everyday or so. He is now eating mostly cilantro and basil with the kale added. He really seems to like the herbs!

JBun, thanks for all the information! :) He is very sweet. Really really likes my hair and actually the cats fur too....its very odd, but cute. Although he doesn't seem to like being pet or touched too much yet (only on his terms), when I walk away from him to go to another room, he is on my heels to see what I am up to! haha Must be because I am the "distributer of food."

He will be going to the vet Saturday for a wellness exam because I am pretty sure he has never been. And than we will discuss neutering...I hope it isn't too much for a 2 year old rabbit, although he has no real characteristics of an intact bun. I'm also hoping the trip isnt too stressful!

Welcome to the forum, he's a cutie. In the past when we've had one that doesn't eat hay, we took pellets away and also gave veggies twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening-- at 11 and 11 so they get used to a schedule. Our vet says they can live just fine without pellet anyway. If you still want to give pellets, just give a small amount, which is what we do at the night time feeding. A couple of ours kept having poop stuck on the nether region so we eliminated the pellets altogether and no longer have to clean them daily, which they and us did not enjoy. We rescued a Mini Rex that weighed 9 pounds and looked like a blob with fur and ears. We took her off pellets and she got unlimited hay and veggies twice a day--it took a little over a year, but we got her down to 5 pounds and she looked so much more like a rabbit than an alien creature. She lived with us for 9 more years and was almost 14 when she passed to the bridge. To say it like Frankenstein's creation, Hay good, pellet bad. Once they get used to eating hay in a large volume, then, you can re-introduce pellets to the level where both get eaten, but hay is very important for the bunnies digestion and tooth wear.

Reactions: MMK

Latest posts

Back