Hello from Buffalo NY

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubysmom

Reaction score
Hi there! I am so glad to have found a rabbit forum much like Cavies Galore. I currently have a 4 year old NZW named Ellie and a 4 year old mixed breed male named Hazel. Ellie was adopted almost a year ago from the Upstate NY chapter of House Rabbit Society and I took Hazel in from a friend when he started being a little unpleasant to their guinea pig. He is a little shy but is coming out of his shell since he's bonded to Ellie. Prior to these two guys I had a black rex named Ruby who was a private rescue from a high school classroom and a mixed breed male named Smitty who was about 5 years old when I adopted him from our local SPCA. Ruby and Smitty were bonded but unfortunately I lost both of them within a year due to GI stasis. Glad to have found you guys!Nicole

Welcome to the Forum Rubysmom! :welcome1

So nice to hear that you adopted mature rabbits in need.

Sorry about Ruby and Smitty.
Hazel and Ellie sounds adorable.

Rainbows! :)

Thanks. My friend named Hazel after the rabbit in the book Watership Down. He was previously bonded to her female named Fiver. When my friend went to a trade show (she owns a feed store) they found two baby bunnies in a box on the vendor floor, after the vendors had all left. So they took the abandoned bunnies back to the store where they had a pretty large rabbit enclosure for their one rabbit. When Fiver and Hazel matured, Fiver is a little tiny bunny at about 4 pounds. Hazel on the other hand is a big boy...almost 10 pounds! We couldn't believe it. So their once roomy enclosure was not really appropriate for him. When my Smitty passed away and I just had Ellie (whose former best friend died of cancer while in foster care with her), I told my friend I would take him in. Hazel and Ellie have just started living together full time in their 16' x 14' rabbit pen. Yay! It took almost 5 months for them to get to this point. Ellie's had a rough start in life. She and 6 other rabbits in a cage fell off a truck taking them to auction. They landed in the middle of the highway where a good samaritan called the animal control and brought them to a vet's office. The truck never stopped. Her foster mom happened to be in her vet's office that day and that's when they entered HRS. I think almost a year later or maybe a little longer I adopted her.

Latest posts

Back