Hello from a newbie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschimpf

Wheek, Hop, Meow
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

My name is Erin, I'm mostly known in the guinea pig world. Having 6 females and running a canadian based guinea pig forum and website makes me well a piggie slave. But last night my husband and I asked our 4 year old daughter what she wanted for her birthday, July 28. In our house we all help with the pets but I'm the main animal caregiver. So the deal is if my daughter keeps her room clean and goes to bed without a fight until her birthday then she will get one.

I still have TONS of grids from my C&C guinea pig cage, so all I'll need is some coroplast. The reason I've joined it because I know guinea pigs and Rabbits/bunnies are very different, so I'm hoping to learn as much as I can before July. And don't worry the cage will be locked and my daughter will not have access with out me or my husband.

Hello and welcome to RO! This really is a great place to learn about buns.

My knowledge of guinea pigs is actually fairly limited (though we have plenty of members that have them), but in general I don't advocate rabbits as good pets for young kids, though I don't know what your daughter's experiences with your cavies are.

Most rabbits do not like to be held or to snuggle their humans. They see getting picked up as being carried away by a predator. Holding a rabbit properly is also very important because with a swift kick of their hind legs they can break their own spine. They can also cause quite a bit of damage to a human that way (I had to explain the claw marks across my face after one of my buns used me as a but of a launch pad).

If, keeping these sorts of things in mind, you still think a rabbit is a good fit into your household, then be sure to check out our library resources to get a good bit of general information and be sure to as any questions you have as well.

Welcome to RO! And would love to learn more about the pigs. I volunteer at a no-killrabbit rescueand one duo we have is a larger bun and pig (Talbot and Squeak - guess which one is which).. They are SO cute together I just love them both. Google Zooh Corner Rescue and look for the link of adoptions (takes you to Petfinders) and you'll see Squeak and Talbot - SO CUTE! One day last weekend when I was there - Squeak and Talbot were out in the Xpen while I was cleaning their cage and I hadn't secured the Xpen low enough and Squeak pushed her butt through and got out - saw her out of the corner of my eye waddling down the length of the shelter:shock:. Not trying to run away and/or scared - just waddling down the length of the shelter to check things out - lol! Love that little pig..

That being said, buns with young kids are something to be very careful with as young children might not understand how "fragile/sensitive" buns are. They can be very quick to bite when unsure ofa situation and a good percentage do not like to be picked up (I'm usually covered in scratches on my arms from having to move buns from the cages to Xpens from the shelter - so a small child would be much worse for the wear, than I).

However you sound very knowledgeable of animal care and would think you home sounds just perfect for a rescue, so please indulge this site with your questions and research the library. Rabbits are so much fun to haveand you could get another opportunity to help your child learn to be a responsible pet owner of yet another breed.

Hope the room stays clean! My fingers are crossed.

Thanks for the welcome. And yes I do know about how "nasty" kids and rabbit mixes can be. In this house we have a critter that is a "look but don't touch" guest in my house. His name is Jack and hes a ASF rat. Hes one nasty little critter. I've had him for a year and held him twice. First time was ok but the last time he bit me pretty bad.

My kids also know that unless I take a piggie out they are not to touch them. But we have a few months to look up information. For a 4 going on 5 year my daughter, if you don't mind me bragging, understands alot. But in saying that I also know that she isn't allowed to play with it or pick it up.

I still think this is a good thing, my daughter has no cords or anything in her room so when it is bunny time I can let him/her out to run around, which will also time for my daughter to bond with it with out holding and picking up. Mostly though this is going to be my "problem" LOL so to speak. I'm hoping to get her to help feed and water and then as she gets old to get her to help clean the cage.

I know I'll find lots of great information here and thanks for the welcomes.

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Quite a deal you have there, I hope it works out. Rabbits are great animals, very smart, unique personalities that make great companions.

I’ve listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link to a website that will help you understand what your rabbit issaying to you, Rabbitspeak.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, How to put photo's in your posts.

This the best site on the web for bunnies and I look forward to hearing stories and looking at pictures of your rabbit. Don't hesitate to send me a PMwith any questions.

Dave

Hi and welcome! I'm all for responsible pet ownership with kids--I didn't get to have many pets as a kid and I think I may have chosen a different career path if I did! Glad you're looking into info, too, before getting one. I really recommend shelters if there are any near you, mostly because the bunnies are already fixed and vet-checked. Good karma doesn't hurt either!

LOL! Yes I am planning to adopt as I have with all my piggies (6). The Edmonton SPCA always has TONS of "fixed" rabbits. Now its just waiting until July.

tonyshuman wrote:
Ah that reminds me! One of our long-time members, Stan (pet_bunny) helps out there and takes wonderful pics of the bunnies! Here's that thread:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=35220&forum_id=7

edit: Humane Society, SPCA, oops they're different. Well there's the Humane Society link anyway.
SPCA and Humane Society are the same thing around here. They are basically interchangeable, so if you say you got a rabbit from the Edmonton SPCA, it is the same place as the Humane Society.

Welcome. :wave: There seem to be a lot of bunny people in Edmonton. Maybe I will get to come up and meet you sometime. I might even be up there around Easter.

Hi and Welcome to the RO Forum! :wave:

The shelter is the same. It was called the Edmonton SPCA when it started, but updated its name to The Edmonton Humane Society in 2003. All the rabbitsfrom the shelter are now being neutered or spayed before they are put up for adoption. I have attended some of the surgeries in person.

1149_090100_120000000.jpg

I am not familiar with guinea pigs as I spend all my time with the rabbits. I didn't have a rabbit when I firstjoined this forum, but with all the information I learned from here, I was able to adopt a bunny a few months later.

Thanks for the welcome. I did mean the Edmonton Humane Society, I still call it the Edmonton SPCA, we (my daughter and I) check the site every day twice a day. My daughter is very excited and believe it or not has kept her room so clean its dang near shinny! So far looking at the bunnies on the site, my daughter likes the black and whites as well as the white with pink eyes.

I think if Fone Bone is still there thats the one we will go with. Fone Bone Link
He's been there for a while. And my daughter likes the pink eyes, girls LOL.

I agree. He seems sweet in his picture. Hubby and I plan to go a week or two before my daughters birthday to see him and the other bunnies. I'll be building the cage mid June. All I need is some coroplast for the bottom. I have the grids, container for the litter box, extra grids for a hay rack and a house to hide in. Gotta love having extra stuff from my piggies, I think I have 60 grids in my basement. LOL

Latest posts

Back