Hello everyone.. "soon to be bunny owner "

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking ofr any infromation bunnies. i owned a rabbit years ago when i younger . i had two of them . 1 was a drawrf who died after only having it a few short days . and then i had mini lopeared who loved . Anyways i'm looking for breeders in my area to get two baby bunnies for my sons. I do have other animals .... they are two chinchillas and a dog . we had hamsters but they passed away recently and we did have three chinchillas but sadly we lost her too last month ... if anyone could help me that would be apperciated. i also wanna know the care about a bunny as well. so that i can take proper care of them ....

thanks ,

Alicia:D:biggrin2:

Are they of age to take care of the buns are will this be your responsability? Just asking. Congrats on finding the forums and wanting some info. That's means alot.

thanks! thier ages 6yrs and 3 and half and i'll be helping them to take care of them .. i just bunnies .. nothing big . bthat way there they get a handle on it and it's mall enough for them ...

Ok because I see some parents out there get buns for their kids and expect the kids to take care of the rabbits. I. Take care of two dogs, 4 going on 5 rabbits, and multi fish tanks. It can be alot. Besides feeding and water changes you have litter/ woodship changes, nail clipping, vet visits, bunny playpen outside or in time and handling. Some rabbits to care much for handling but still need a bun workout..

@ lindy S. no hun .. i don't do that .. i don't just dump the animals off on my kids ... when they had thier hamster they fed them and all but i was right there when they were taking car of them. my three yr old loves helping take care of my chins .. but thier never left to handle them on thier own .. soemone is awlays with them

i'm doing this cause they lost her hamsters and miss them .. but i though two bunnies would be greatc ause you can house two males and females together i think ... i don't want to breed... lol lol

Oh excuse me if you think I was asuming you wanted to breed which isn't any of my business.

I didn't say you wanted to dump them on your kids either so just calm down. I take care of my daughters rabbits when she is gone so it would be more of you taking care of them not your sons.

I'm not saying that you would not be capable or anything, as I can't judge on your animal care from this post, but there are a few things I would check on before getting into this commitment.

Like where would you keep your rabbits? I would not have them anywhere near the chinchillas since sickness transfers very easily between rabbits and chins. Pastuerella in particular transfers VERY easily between the species, and from what I have read, there is a possibility of even the dormant bacteria could be passed to the chin, which 80% rabbits carry (If I'm wrong here about the dormant bacteria being capable of being passed on, someone please correct me on that, but I do know that Pastuerella is pretty deadly for chins). While it could take a few days to kill a rabbit, it only takes a few hours for a chin. Not to mention that a chin could get injured if it gets in contact with a rabbit, they are a lot more delicate then buns.

Do you have the money to get the bunnies spayed/nuetered? The two bunnies would have to be housed seperatly otherwise, and even after they get snipped they could still possibly not get along. Do you have a good rabbit vet in your area to check on the prices before getting the bun?

Another thing is if you don't get them nuetered, there is the possibility of hormones turning your sweet little baby into a nasty little animal, I have seen it happen many times before, once personally and quite a few times for other people. Shippou, our bunny that we returned to the breeder because he turned literally savage (Lunging at the side of the cage trying to bite people as they passed, biting people and not letting go, etc.) would not have been able to be around a 3 year old child. It would be a major safety issue, for both bun and child.

Rabbits are also a possibly a 10+ year commitment if they are taken care of properly. Are you prepared to take that on?

Anyways, if you have any questions let me know, I'll be happy to answer anything you have to throw at me. I would just say do your research and make sure you know what you are getting into with a rabbit. I must admit, I do not agree with rabbits being a childs pet, though...

I would never assume if you get 2 rabbits they can or will ever be able to live together. While I see many people who "bond" their bunnies successfully, there are many more who don't and they end up fighting and injuring each other.

We have 10 rabbits who live in our house, none of them get along. We have neutered and spayed rabbits and even with that, I wouldn't ever trust them to live together.

Also, seeing how some can be when they hit the 6-8 month age and puberty, I'd consider looking for a bunny over 1 yr of age, so then you have some idea what the temperment will be like after puberty.

ok ! i se yyour point. but first off . my chins and the rabbit won't be getting out together during play . they will have seperate plaay times. and be in play pen big enough for them . ...

and the part about taking care of rabbits for 10 plus years. do you know my chisn will live 20 plus years ??? didn't know that did ya ... i know what i'm getting into . i'm not stupid ... i have chins that will out live the rabbit

Hey as a breeder I feel I have the right to ask question like these. Though you are not buying from me you might get these from a rescue or another breeder. This forum I great for info and you just seem to get irritable about everything we have to say. We ask these things to make sure you know what your geting into so there's less rabbits going to shelters because the owners were not aware of the circumstances. It's not because we are being rude. Please understand it's for the best of both of you.

momslilmonster2 wrote:
and the part about taking care of rabbits for 10 plus years. do you know my chisn will live 20 plus years ??? didn't know that did ya ... i know what i'm getting into . i'm not stupid ... i have chins that will out live the rabbit
In fact, I did know that, thanks. I've had my chin for a little under 4 years and she was 2 when I got her, I know I can expect a good 15 years out of her yet. The whole reason I know all of this about chinchillas and rabbits is BECAUSE I have both of them.

You came on here asking questions, so I provided answers. I'm not assuming you're stupid, I'm assuming your uneducated in rabbit care.

Do you know that Pastuerella, should it break out in a rabbit which can happen if bringing them home is stressful enough, is airborne and can live in carpet/wood/etc, for a month? That's why I was asking about where you will keep them. Although it is unlikely that your rabbits will have a break out of the bacteria, it is a possibility and something you have to plan for.

I'm not trying to be rude, honestly, I'm not. I just get tired of people saying that they are ready for a commitment of a rabbit and it ending up in a shelter or donated to a petting zoo. Heck, we had three rabbits surrendered to us two months ago from owners who were ready for the ten year commitment, even bred their doe to get one of her babies, and that commitment lasted a whopping three and a half years.

Like I said, I would be happy to answer any questions you have and I really am an open book, as are plenty of other posters on here like LindyS, but you have to be willing to see that we're just trying to help the rabbits and make sure that you are prepared for what you are getting into and that they don't end up neglected in a cage or sitting in a shelter waiting to be euthanised due to limited space that always comes a few monthes after Easter. We're not saying that you're not capable or that you would be a bad owner, we're just throwing all the possibilities out there for you to mull over, that's all.

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

Latest posts

Back