Hello! and litter training!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RusselandRoxy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm sorryI havent been on in sooooo long. I have been very busylately with school and all that.

I have also been working at the vets for another week and now work at the zoo every saturday - this is all experience I will need to become a vet whenI finish school!!

Anyway,I hope everyones doing well and I see the forums changed quitea bit since I was last on - looks great :)!

Russel now lives in the house with me and got great at using his litter tray which really surprised me. Well .... he used it for about a month and then with no warning ... stopped!I have no idea why andI cant get him to use it again!

Does any one hav any idea why he would have stopped or how to get him started again?I have tried the whole treatin' him when he goes in there but he doesnt seem to want to use it which really confuses me because he used it for so long and got so good!!

He seems to be my only rabbit at the moment though... as most of you know, Roxy and Nibbles passed away a few months ago due to myxi and Flop has been missing for 9 days now so thats not looking too good....

Anyway, nice to speak to you all again,

Leanne xxxxxx :)

Hi Leanne... Glad to see you back!
:welcome

Is Russel neutered? If he is still intact, I can say with almost 100% certainty that that is the problem.

bunnydude wrote:
Hi Leanne... Glad to see you back!
:welcome

Is Russel neutered? If he is still intact, I can say with almost 100% certainty that that is the problem.
Thanks Bunnydude!

Yeh he is neutered - thats why its so confusing :?

Leanne xx

RusselandRoxy wrote:
......and Flop has been missing for 9days now so thats not looking to good....

Leanne xxxxxx :)

LEANNE !!! HI !!!:wave2

...Who,what,where,when,how,why....I don't know how I missed this. Flops is missing for 9 days :(?!?! Need more info...pleeeeeeze.

Did you add or change anything in Russel's surroundings recently??

~JimD

no nothing at all has changed in russel's surroundings! :? not that i can think of anyway - hes just decided that he no longer wants to use his litter tray!!

As with Flop, he has a run most of the day in the garden but sometimes escapes - usually only going next door or two - but he always comes back. Our neighbours are totally happy with him and often feed him when he goes to visit.
However, it has now been nine days since we let him out so i am thinking i need to go out on a very hard look for him tomorrow - hopefully he will just be wandering in the neighbours gardens and nothing too serious - fingers crossed anyway ;).
If thats not the case, i will be putting up lost posters and searching the papers for lost and found!!
But i will certainly let you know how it goes
Wish me luck :lookaround

please

thanks

leanne

xxx

Hmm... I'm stumped. Maybe someone else has the answer that you are looking for.

By the way, I hope you find Flops:pray:

Leanne, you have been SO missed. :pink iris:

Pipp decided to stop using her litter box, but I think it was because I gave her too much space. I had to cut her back to a more confined area and slowly increase it.

Actually, she just ended up training me. I put a litter box down wherever she decided her favourite place to use it was. But then I was able to move the box around a bit and she'd still use the box.

Just like when she decided her favourite 'loo' was my bed. :disgust:

I moved her 'hutch' with her litter box onto the bed, and she used it there. When I put it back on the floor weekslater, she continued using it. :)

Hope Flop comes home soon. :pray:

(Just a note for people who may be a little alarmed at this, just a reminder that Leanne is in the UK where our pet bunnies originate and live in the wild, so they can run free without the same dire consequences found in North America, where they end up withthe wrong food,shelter and climate, no resistance to native parasites, infections, etc.)

sas:) and pipp :bunnydance:

Hi Leanne, :wave:good to see you back. Here's a website where you can post your lost bunnies or people post bunnies that they have found. http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/lostandfound.asp

Also here are the tips for finding your bunny from the same website:

Missing Rabbit
If your rabbit should go missing, here are some tips for finding him/her again.

• Search the area the rabbit was last seen thoroughly. If the rabbit became frightened or ill it may be hidding. Gradually widden the search, check under things like bushes, cars and places your rabbit could have crawled into.
  • Make sure the hutch/run is open so your bunny can get back in if they return. If your rabbit is usually inside, leave a familar smelling carry box or similar outside.
  • Notify all the places in your area where a stray rabbit may be taken if found. This includes vets, rescues, shelters etc. Leave contact details and a description. Check back a few days latter if your rabbit is still missing.
  • Put notices up in the local area, places such as local shop windows, vet notice boards and petshops.
  • Ask your local newspaper whether they carry lost and found adverts, and put a notice in.

Hope you can find flop!

HI!! Welcome back!! I can't help you with litter training as I am having the same problem with Luke but good luck and I will pray for you!

Welcome back, Leanne!

Is Russel using any particular spots? I usually put a litterbox where the bunnies start peeing/pooping a lot. Vinegar works really well for cleaning and also gets rid of the smell to both us and them. Sometimes if it's cleaned up they can still smell it and will still go potty there, like cats.

I really hope you find Flop!

Thanks sooo much everyone. I have been so busy this week - working at the vets that i dont get home until its dark so i really havent had much of a chance to search for Flop properly but i still hold a lot of hope for him because he usually bounces back at some point.

One time, when russel escaped from his cage a few years ago, he ran away, someone picked him up from the local park. this person lived 2 roads down from me and put up a found poster. I put up a lost poster and someone else put them both together and i got russel back!

hopefully we will get similar luck this time. Otherwise, i will have to look at lost and found in the papers and in animal rescue centres. The strange thing is he could just be lurking next door and i havent had a chance to spot him yet - being so busy! But i will be sure to keep a good eye out until Saturday when i will get a chance to look properly.

As for Russels litter training - one thing i have noticed is that he always pees in his litter tray but doesnt poop in it - is that unusual?? Oh, and when he doesnt use his litter tray he just goes to the toilet RIGHT next to it so i have to scooop it up and put it in.

If he doesnt he doesnt want to use it for much longer, i will try your method Pipp - sounds good to me.

Thanks for the website and advice Bunnys_rule63, i will be sure to use that!! Thanks for the information naturestee- the vinegar thing will be very useful for all his spots where he has decided to leave my carpet multicoloured!!

Leanne xxx

naturestee wrote:
I wonder if he wants a bigger litterbox? It's worth a try.
I think thats a very good idea actually - his current litter tray is very small in comparison to his size - i mean he does fit in it but he could certainly do with a larger one - i will be sure to try it :great:(wow i love these animations!!)

Leanne xxx

I was thinking Luke didn't use his because of the size also... usually Leo can barely sit in it and when Luke actually grows he will be bigger than the litter box. I think I will get the highbacked ferret litter box because it will be just the right size!!

:hello:bunnydance::elephant::colors::bunnydance:

Flop decided to return from his travels this morning. I looked out the window and guess who i saw chasing the cat around the garden!!! The little devil:mad:!
He acted as though he hadnt even been away as just continued chasing the cats when he saw me. So anyway, after a little chasing, hes back safely in his cage,:party0002 :welcome Flop!

Leanne xxx

P.s. i really must post some updated pictures of them soon!!
[align=left]
[/align]

Ok, so Russels decided to return to his old litter tray habbits.
Confusing!!:dunno:eek:h well, at least its not a bad thing:groupparty:

Just thought i would let you know,
Leanne xxxx

Latest posts

Back