Heeeeeelllllllllpppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!! FLEAS!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
I knew it! I knew it! :X That's why I kept asking the question.

I just had a feeling that Sherman was going to get fleas! Why is it that some of you guys' bunnies don't get fleas and they live outside and now I've spotted one or two on Sherman and he lives inside? We don't have any other pets either. Oh, man ... oh, man! Now I'm going to have to get some kind of treatment for him and I'm sure that they're laying eggs in the carpet and such and we're going to have to fumigate down here!

Now let me get this straight. Did I read that you all said that you could use Revolution, Advantage, or flea powder as long as it was in a strength for kittens?

Please help!!!!!!

Wow, poor BunnyMommy. Here I am with 2 outside boys that don't have fleas or any other mite problems. Just not your luck!

Ivermectin 1.87 (horse worming paste) - pea sizeddrop on his front paw today and 10 days from now, two treatments,you're done. Kitten flea powder works too.

No more than a pea-sized drop on Sherman's paw. It's very strong and could be fatal if overdosed.

-Carolyn

Thanks so much, Carolyn! As you can imagine, I'm in full panic mode (don't want my baby to suffer).

So sleepy right now, but we're on the way to the vet with thebaby. He recommends Advantage. Corresponded withhis foster mother this morning too. She also recommendsAdvantage. We think that he might have caught the fleas whenwe boarded him when he went out of town.

The fleas are increasing exponentially (and that's with usvacuuming, recleaning his bedding, and keeping it very cool downhere last night.)

Talk to you when we get back! Doc's office closes at1:00 today and we want to make sure that my sweet bunny baby doesn'tsuffer beyond today.

Since Ivermectin does *not* kill adult stagefleas, I would recommend Advantage, kitten flea powder or Sevin gardendust. Regular treatment with Ivermectin will kill fleas atthe larval stage.

I have used Sevin garden dust on rabbits for many years withoutincident -- however (my usual disclaimer LOL), certain animals may showsensitivity to any product and may experience neurological damage dueto use of flea powders because the product is absorbed through theskin. I have heard of a number of incidents in cats.

More info here: http://www.allearssac.org/fleas.html

Pam

Pam, thank heavens you'rehere!!!

Thanks for this helpful info and for confirming that Advantage is a "way to go" product.

On the way to the vet now. :D

pamnock wrote:
Since Ivermectin does *not* kill adult stage fleas, I wouldrecommend Advantage, kitten flea powder or Sevin garden dust.Regular treatment with Ivermectin will kill fleas at the larval stage.

Thanks Pam. I wasn't aware of that. Sorry BunnyMommy.

-Carolyn

I wouldn't use moth balls in the house due to theodor that is extremely difficult to remove. Some reports havesuggested that moth balls are a health/respiratory risk and alsocontain carcinogens. Toxic fumes can result from placingmothballs in the vacuum.

My in-laws "thoughtfully" placed mothballs in our camper and I have notbeen able to go back since due to the odor. The smellpermeates everything including any food placed in thecupboards.

Moth balls are truly evil and the work of the devil so I do not recommend their use indoors :p

Cedar balls would be preferred over mothballs(Although I don't care for theodor of cedareither)http://www.kitchenandhomegadgets.com/ceba02.html

Pam

Back online after a big crash here last night,and just read a few emails about skunks and fleas. Will passon that info and let somebody with more knowledge figure it out.

1. Table salt sprinkled all over your house and under the furniture, also. This dries up the fleas.

2. Grits sprinkled all over will kill ants...even the fire ants.

3. A small bottle of rubbing alcohol (pint) and the rind ofone orange. Soak the rind in the alcohol for at least 24hours. The liquid can be put in a spray bottle and used onpets and bedding. (I remember reading this onebefore.....running the rind thru the blender, putting it in thealcohol, with lid on, letting it sit for a good 24 hours, straining theliquid into a spray bottle.) For fleas.

The salt and grits sound a little on the messy side, but these peoplelive in an area where they have a HUGE problem, so I wouldimagine that the mess is minor compared to the stinking bugs.When Baby (skunk) was younger, I made this alcohol/orange rind mixturejust to have in the house. It sure does smell good.

Just some ideas to ponder.

- Dolores

Thank you all for this wonderful, helpfulinfo. I'm calm now. * deep breath in, deep breath out* :)

We're back from the vet's office, bunny has his Advantagesafely placed between his shoulder blades and has been put down for hisdaily nap. Three craisins eased any inconvenience that hemight have suffered. ;)

Thank you all again for the wonderful support andinformation. I know that I can be an overprotective bunnymommy at times, but as I've said before, my philosophy is always to besafe rather than sorry. :cool:

P.S. Dolores, I'm going to saltdown the carpet downstairs in just a few minutes. Thanks forthis great nontoxic tip! I didn't want to bring theinsecticide people in because I didn't want Sherman to have an adverseeffect, so I wasn't sure how I was going to handle this. Thisis the perfect solution. Will salt it down, vacuum tomorrow(with a flea collar in the vacuum bag), and then resalt.

This was an interesting article http://www.faqs.org/faqs/pets/fleas-ticks/

I wouldn't put salt on the carpet. It will attract moisturefrom the humidity, ruin the carpet and probably not deter the fleas (itdoes dry up slugs though).

There are some reports that claim putting the flea collar in the vacuum produces toxic fumes while vacuuming.

Pam

I guess I should see if I can find out how longis suggested for leaving the salt on the floor, and if people do use iton carpet. I thought about the moisture thing, too, but don'tknow how long it takes to accumulateon carpet...just in saltshakers.

- Dolores

P.S. Do y'all think it would beall right to put some salt in the drop pan of Sherman's cage?

Going to clean it out again and wondering if this would help if there are any stray eggs left.

Latest posts

Back