Heavy Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is normal for them to shed a lot at this time of year; all of us have rabbits in heavy sheds right now ; don't freak out
try to brush him so he won't ingest a lot of it

if you are talking about huge bald areas that is another story
but a lot of fur right now is normal

Is the hair falling out in chunks? Or does it seem like a moult? It's normal for rabbits to have a sometimes heavy moult. For moulting, make sure he has plenty of access to hay and water.

But if it seems to be a skin problem that's causing the hair loss, there may be an issue. Is there any bald patches or flakey skin? Have you noticed any excessive scratching or abnormal behavoir?

His hair comes out in little chunks...but i see no baldness.

Just A LOT and I mean A LOT of hair!! It just doesn't seem to stop! He looks all mangy!

But he's eating, drinking, and being his usual self!

I put him in his cage next to my bed (to keep an eye on him)...as he chews away at the plastic siding as we speak...

He usually free roams my room, but I am a new rabbit owner and a bit panicked!

Oh no problem, most of my guys are in similar shape right now! Just shedding out their winter coats, so it can get quite messy!

As long as you don't see any excess scratching, inflamed skin, dandruff, etc. that might indicate an issue, it's mostly likely just a heavy moult.

All you can do is make sure he's well hydrated and is getting lots and lots of fiber (by the means of hay and if he's used to it, veggies). Keep up the brushing too! If the hair is coming out in tuffs, you can lightly pluck it off as well, just be gentle!

Sounds like just a heavy moult to me, nothing to be too concerned about :).

I am going to adjust the title and move it to nutrition and behavior. :)Also going to post some pictures of buns in molts.

This is one of my girls durring her current molt. I think I have more pictures around.

100_4638.jpg

100_4639.jpg

100_4640.jpg

100_4641.jpg

That is normal
I think it looks somangy because her undercoat is a different color

I have a few here that look almost that bad....

will try to get a pic of the most mangy looking of my bunch:)

My male lop is molting especially heavy right now also - our doe has a lighter coat so it nothing compared to his - every time I walk by him I'm covered in white hair - I groom him and hand-pull the big patches - even though I'm gentle he still gives me that indignant, 'I can manage this, thank-you very much'! look...doesn't bother me, 'cause I sure don't want a bun with hairballs on my hands, lol.

angieluv wrote:
That is normal
I think it looks somangy because her undercoat is a different color

I have a few here that look almost that bad....

will try to get a pic of the most mangy looking of my bunch:)
Yeah, it's incredible!

& haha good deal!

But did you read what I wrote about the bald spots? ^

anneq wrote:
My male lop is molting especially heavy right now also - our doe has a lighter coat so it nothing compared to his - every time I walk by him I'm covered in white hair - I groom him and hand-pull the big patches - even though I'm gentle he still gives me that indignant, 'I can manage this, thank-you very much'! look...doesn't bother me, 'cause I sure don't want a bun with hairballs on my hands, lol.

LOL that is great...well not great if they should get a hairball!

Wrangler just gave up today and let my roomie and I pick all over him.My roomiethought it was a blast, and I was like "yeah it's like popping zits" haha!I have been in the process of brushing and plucking at him for the last couple of days. I'll definitely be thrilled when this process is over!

One of mine is going through the same thing. They look awful, hair at all different lengths. I agree with angieluv it looks like the hair is a different color and length but doesn't appear to be a bald spot. Can you see the skin?

If I remember correctly from previous years this lasts a few weeks. It is a pain and your rabbit will look really mangy. I have been calling Chase mangy and hairy the last few days. She hates to be brushed and is not happy but it will be over soon. It is good you are brushing your rabbit and getting that hair off so she don't lick and ingest it. You don't want your bun to get a hair ball.

The first time I saw this I also freaked and thought something was wrong.

Good luck

if you brushed him or pulled out hair with hands he could have bald spots.
what you want to watch for is a fine growth that should start coming in in a few weeks .; if the spots remain bald after a few weeks he could have mites but I don't think so; I think that it's abig shed

Don't worry this is absolutely normal. And if it starts to look patchy in some parts? That comes with it. I think all bunnies are supposed to do that.

Latest posts

Back