Heat Stroke. Please Help.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im in australia and today is 45 celicus/ 113farenheit.My mum found4 of my bunnies in a veryweak condition in their outdoor cage. While trying to bring them in,two died.

The other two are in the air conditioned room. Does this help? They aretoo frightened to eat of drink. Their eyeballs seem to be popping out.What is happening?? What should i do? thanks in advance

thank you shuu.

But i think its a bit too late for prevention.. the older rabbit stillrefuses to drink and they are both in some kind of shock..i dont wantthem to die

I suggest keeping there ears cool with a colddamp cloth...puting a frozen waterbottle next to them and getting themto the vet asap.

good luck with them..im so sorry to hear you have already lost 2 :( Days that hot they just dont do well outside at all. :(

Lorri

Thank you Lorri.

I gave them the damp cloth which seem to have calm them a bit, butstill not drinking.and i dont think the vet is open becauseof new year. thanks again.

Sorry about the first two, Walking Mushroom.

If they do not drink, give them some vegetables that containwater, or some cool watermelon. You mighttry some Gatorade or some cool tea. Evendab some water on their lips so they will lick theirlips. Pray they recover.

Rainbows!

How are they? Wet completey a towel in cold-ishwater and wrap it around them like a bunny burito. You need to get somewater in them. Try syringe feeding them cold water, poruing a bit ofwater over their paws, or liek the others said drip water around theirmouths.

glad to hear theyhave calmed down a little :) Iagree with trying to syringe feed them some water. If you dont have asyringe try soaking a cotton ball in water and squeezing into theremouths.

Do you know if any local vets have an emergency after hours number? I know the rabbit medicine near me does.

Good luck! Im keeping your buns in my thoughts.

Lorri

Thanks so much for you quick advice Rainbows,Spring, Lorri. I think they are ok now as the sun is setting, but theirwater bottle is boiling hot from the heat. i will bring them back indoors and check on thembefore the sun rises tomorrow. Thanksagain for your replys.

walking mushroom

I'mso sorry to hear about your 2 bunnies. I really hope the other 2 are doing well.

I'm also finding it hard to keep my bun cool when its 45 degrees likeit was yesterday. When I'm at work I have tokeep him indoorswith the air conditioning on all day.

Along with the waterbottle, maybe put a heavydish if you have one and put ice cubes in it with some cold water. Itstays cold longer. Or, if you can fit the icecubes in the bottle thiscould help too.

I think that the wisest thing to do is to keepthem indoors until the "heat wave" passes. Bringing them inand then putting them out is not only stressful but, the hugedifference in temperature that you are putting them through isunhealthy. All my "hutch buns" come indoors when the tempsrise above 85 degrees F (in the shade).

how are the buns going walking? Ive beenthinking about you guys over there. Perths summer has been mild so farbut ive been watching the weather forecasts..the east coast has hadsome scorchers. Hope your other 2 buns are improving :)

Lorri

yeah how are the other buns going?im really sorry for you losing your buns like that.

im in adelaide,and it really was a scorching hot day,that day.i usuallyleave my back door open for the buns to come in and out,but that daythe door was shut and the buns stayed inside with the air con on.

update us on how the other bunnies are doing

Latest posts

Back