Healthiest Treats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should give at least 2 table spoons of fruit and/or veg a day. (That was what I was told before)

I usually give my buns an apple a day, half a carrot a few sticks of treats (bought from my petshop) and pellets (everyday!)

I dont really know what the healthy treat you could put in it. Maybe some apple, treats for rabbits from your petshop, or some sort of fruit or veg that is safe for them.

some one else should be able to give you better advice :p

Fruits should only be given in moderation. I only give a tiny amount once a week. Carrots should also be given in moderation, they are very sugary. They should not have them everyday, or fruit everyday.

Greens such as romaine lettuce, parsley, cilantro, leaf lettuce are good choices but with any new food you want to make sure you introduce it slowly.

In the library there are many links to healthy veggies for your bunny.

Samm, I have rabbits since March 09 and everyday i have givin them fruit and veg. They were are still are very healthy (apart from my pasturella bun), so just to say I dont believe in what you said ( "They should not have them everyday, or fruit everyday. ")

I wanted to get something with less sugar so I could feed them more of it in a day.

I wanted to find a healthy treat I could give in small portions to use in training with out having to worry about overfeeding as much.

When I was training George (R.I.P) I used pellets. What I did was, instead of feeding him in the morning(like giving him his bowl of pellets to eat), I would pour out the pellets into the bowl and take 1 or 2 pellets each time, and learn him that way.. after training I would give him the rest of his bowl. Then he wont be over fed

The basis of most rabbit diets is a good rabbit pellet. Then comes fruits and vegetables. There are too many to list. If you visit the sites on the rabbit links page, there will be extensive lists. Do not feed iceburg lettuce or large amounts of other lettuces. Favorite bunny foods include carrot, broccoli, apple, pear, cucumber, squash, zucchini, and small amounts of kale, grapes, cauliflower, spinach, collard greens, green beans, parsley, and other fruits and vegetables. As treats, I occasionally give them cantaloupe, honeydew melon, strawberries, wine berries, black berries, etc. The key is to give lots of variety and not too much of one thing (especially fruits and leafy vegetables). Also, in rural areas free of grass treatments, grass, dandelion greens, clover, and many other lawn plants cannot be beat. Again, only give these in small amounts and avoid a few poisonous plants. Also, avoid giving too many greens to young rabbits. Many say not to give any greens if under six months old but my vet and I disagree. After all, feral and wild bunnies would eat nothing but greens after two months.

What a great toy! All treats should be fed in moderation, especially since house rabbit's are so prone to obesity. There is a fairly new line of treats out that are made by Oxbow called Simple Rewards. They come in Banana, Strawberry, Timothy and Veggie. I've heard great things but have yet to try them with my critters.

The really great thing is they have no added sugar. The Timothy Treats are made of high-quality Timothy Grass Hay. The heart-shaped, oven-baked Veggie Treats contain palatable carrots, peppers, flaxseed, kelp and more. Low fat Banana Treats and Strawberry Treats are made of 100% freeze-dried fruit pieces,.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20256

I've been buying the Oxbow Simple Rewards in all flavors for my bunnies and they love them. Having Bentley I've been more conscious with his intake of treats and without sugar. I do give them fruit sometimes as a treat.

I give Midas small amounts of dried papaya everyday (he loves it, and its said to be good for their digestion). A have heard that store bought treats can contain to much sugar, so I don't use any of them. He loves veggies though!!

Back