Health...S.A.D

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravenmoore36

Reaction score
My boy had a check up to make sure he was over his whatever it was. Have you heard of seasonal affected disorder? I raised with the vet who is a lagamorph specislist.(i'm lucky there) whether this could be my boy's problem. When it is dark and overcast he is seriously out if sorts. Grumpy. Bad tempered. Our flat looks like blackpool illuminations in dark overcast weather from a series of low wattage lamps scatterd around the place. His favourite is a small round glass lamp that emits minimal heat as i use a fridge bulb in it....which he wraps himself around! She said it might be a bunny version of S.A.D. The more light the happier he is. Our girl is not affected.....she just dozes or plays and binkys as normal. Are there other buns out there who are affected by low light levels?

You could look into getting a special perfectly balanced UV light for him. The kind they put in reptile enclosures. There are rabbit breeders who light their rabbitries with balanced UVA/UVB full spectrum daylight bulbs. There can't be glass in front of the bulb or it won't work. Every animal needs daylight to keep their biorhythms working properly. Here is a guy who really likes a certain bulb. I'm thinking into this looking into this myself [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNRMTHiNCaQ[/ame]

Also after doing a quick google on UV light for rabbits there did seem to be a lot of articles saying it is important for their health and proper organ function and vitamin D. One article even said it could be possible that a baby rabbit that doesn't get any UV might have problems with its bone and teeth development.

Latest posts

Back