He wont let me hold him

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffrey5290

Reaction score
I just got a rabbit yesterday, he came from a friend, he is about a year old.
But the problem is he wont let me hold him, is it because they didnt hold him that much, and if i keep trying to hold him will he get used to it?
Please help, this is my first rabbit, and yes i did do my research first, ive always wanted one.

Thanks Jeffrey:D

First, a new rabbit is not going to be all that comfortable in their environment. It will take you time to gain his trust. Second, not all rabbits like to be held--especially if, in the past, he didn't get that much attention. Be patient and take your time. Bribery also works with some buns--a craisin or a treat. But patience above all else.

Ok thank you so much for the help,
im already attatched to him lol
He will come up and sit by me but when i go to pick him up he freaks out,
i will just keep working with him,
What are some good treats for him,
Thanks Jeffrey

Dried Papaya, dried apple (No sugar added of course). You can use his pellets as treats too, just take them out of his nightly meal.

This forum has a good section on bonding, most rabbits aren't ever happy to be held, let him come on his own. Rabbits are naturally inquisitive creatures, start with patting, once you've had a good month or two of patting he'll probably be happy enough to jump in to your lap. Work from there.

I have found that when I spend time laying on the floor with my rabbits and pretend to not really pay attention to them (by looking like I'm reading a book or a magazine) - their curiosity often gets the best of them and they'll come over and climb on me like a jungle gym, etc.

It took me several weeks of doing this with my flemish giant, Tiny - I spent hours every day on the floor...but eventually - after he got used to being ON me and my smell, etc - he got to the point where he was willing to let me hold him for periods of time. Shortly before he died last year - he would come and climb in my lap for treats and pets and stuff.

It just takes time. Being held isn't a natural thing for bunnies - they are prey animals and constantly afraid. I find the best thing is to make a relationship first by being on their level and letting them explore you....let them learn to trust you first.

And as others have said - some rabbits never like to be held...and thats ok too. You'll find other ways to connect with your rabbit.

I have 2 bunnies they are like polar opposites (i'm starting the bonding tonight guys! *so nervous)

Lambsie - LOVES cuddles, i mean to the point if he is in a good mood he will lay on his back and go to sleep in my arms like a baby he even snores!

Cuddles - Isn't too interested in Cuddles, while bribery with Apples and good things have brought him around he much prefers to sit next to the couch and for you to stroke his head and rub his ears.

I did make a point of him getting used to being held, incase he is ever sick and needs vet attention etc but I keep the hugs brief. He still stomps his foot at me after a Cuddle, but nowadays its a soft, thats annoying thump rather than the lound i hate that thump.

I've had Cuddles for around 4 months so I can confirm its a slow process.

I wouldn't push a bunny into doing something he or she isn't comfortable with. It would be good to gradually get your bunny used to being picked up so that you can do it when absolutely necessary (like at the vet's, for example, or when clipping claws). As for holding a bunny for snuggling time, some bunnies just aren't into this and never do get into it. Don't be disappointed if this is the case, though; my Coco is like that, and don't worry, there are other ways to snuggle with them! I just get down on the floor with him. Sometimes it's on all fours with my hands by his sides and my face nestled into his cheek, or sometimes I just lie on my side, put my arm around him, and put my nose to his. Both Kiwi and Coco are equally attached to me, and Kiwi's comfortable being held, Coco isn't. I know Coco doesn't love me less, it's just not something he likes. I hope you can work something out with your bunny that you can both be comfortable with. :)

Latest posts

Back