He really likes drywall...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u8myhouse

Reaction score
Bella & Onzlo's Bedroom, New Hampshire, USA
Does anyone know a way to get Onzlo to stopdestroying my drywall? He stops when I say no, but the instant I turnaround he's at it again. Taping cardboard to the walls to preventdamage helped a bit, for some odd reason he won't chew on the things hesuposed to, but my father doesn't want me covering the bottom half ofthe room with cardboard. So, any sugestions would be really helpful.

~Christine~

I'd say squirt bottle. My bunny does the samething. He'll chew on the wall paper of my den, and the walls of mycloset which are already crumbling. I just close the closet door andhave my squirt bottle on hand. If the squirt bottle doesnt work,clapping works, or running toward him to make him run away. it justscares him, then he runs under the chinchilla cage and falls asleep.

Wait, here it comes, Hahahahahahaha! My lateAngel used to love demo-ing the house. She even tored up thedrywall of my parent's house. I simply put duct tape over thearea and put something up to block her from proceeding withher destruction.

One of my rabbits went through that stage too.What I had to do was cover the area she was getting at with something.We used a mirror, that both of our rabbits like to look at.

Also, provide your bun with lots of other chewing options. We keep lotsof cardboard out, untreated wicker baskets (the fave), and blocks ofwood. When your bun is out, keep a very close eye on him and a spraybottle on hand. A good soaking usually helps.

When I saw thispost it reminded me of something I saw at the fair last week. We wentto see the bunny show and a whole lot of the competitors/participantshad pieces of drywall in their bunny cages! The bunnies obviouslyenjoyed them because they were shredded and had gnawed edges and youcould tell they were well used. I couldn't find an owner at the time toask about it but I'm assuming that they are used to keep the bunniesoccupied. PamNock would know. Maybe she will seethis post and respond.

Raspberry

The drywall boards are used as"restingboards" in the cages. They are aninexpensive material that can be thrown out and the material is nottoxic to the rabbit. I do not recommend it's use as a sittingboard because the paper covering can harbor bacteria from rabbit urineand feces and the excessive calciumthe rabbit may get whenchewing on it can contribute to bladder sludge. I prefer theslatted plastic mats.

As for the bunn chewing on the wall. I'd get a playpen fenceto confine him to one area. It will save your walls andprotect him from dangers of the household such as cords and nylonproducts that can lead to fatal blockages in the gut.

Pam

Latest posts

Back