He keeps pooping outside his box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NekoOtome

Reaction score
This is a recent habit that my 1yr 5mo neutered male rabbit has developed. No matter how clean his box is he keeps pooping and peeing in the same spot outside of it, near his food bowl oddly enough. What could be causing this behavior, and would moving the litterbox be enough or do I have to do something else?

They like to poop and eat at the same time so this is what I set up to solve the problem but she still likes to mark her territory and pees and pops all over lol 1385410762973.jpg

Rabbits will often poop while they eat, but the peeing may be marking behavior since she isn't spayed. Spaying very often helps with this marking behavior.

If you can position her food so that she has to sit in her litter box, that can help too. I will usually put a layer of hay in my rabbits litter box, and also a pile of hay in a corner that isn't usually used for peeing. You can also put a hay rack above the litter box.

You can hang a hay rack above the litter box so that your bun must be in the litter box to eat his hay. Buns go potty while eating so this helps. Clean up any poo and place it in the litter box. Soak up any pee with the corner of a paper towel and place this in the litter box. Clean the bottom of the cage with a vinegar/water mix to get rid of all smell so your bun will not potty there again based on smell.

I would also keep an eye out on his behavior and such just in case he may have some sort of health issue that has brought about this change in litter habits.

Thanks, guys! The food over the litterbox thing worked like a charm. Glad to know it was as simple as that =P

Back