he is peeing everywhere....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peppers mom

Reaction score
Okay so this is my first inside rabbit in a long time all my other bunnies have been outside, but Bentley is lucky and gets to be inside he is a Jersey Wooly and is the sweetest thing ever!!

But lately he has been forgetting his littler box and peeing in front of it, or peeing on the couches, last night while I was sitting on my bed he jumped up there all cute and i was petting him then he sprayed all over me and my bed it was nasty, and he is pooping all over my room also even tho he has 2 littler boxes and cage in there..

how do I get him to stop?

If he doesn't stop soon he is gonna have to go back outside and I really dont want that..

I'm assuming he isn't neutered, right?

He is marking his territory. He's spraying everything to say its his. He is pooping to mark whats his too. So if you get him neutered it should help out tremendously.
But before you get him neutered, maybe get an x-pen and confine him to a smaller area, put something under it so he doesn't ruin the floor, but his toys and litter box in there. He'll get the idea that its 'his area' and hopefully will start using the litter box again. And even if he doesn't, he won't be ruining your furniture or bed linens by being in a smaller run.
But getting him neutered would be a good idea. If he's old enough that is.

No he isn't fixed..
But he can jump out of his ex-pen and when you put him in a cage he acts like he is in prison and bangs on the bars..

haha. Well, you could cover everything, your furniture, bed, all of it with sheets or something that is easily washed; just in case he decides to spray.

Definitely sounds like a good candidate for a neuter!
As for peeing right in front of the litterbox, sometimes I've seen buns have their body in the box and then hang their butt over the edge; it's like they think they're in the box. A box with higher sides can help with that issue.
As for the couch and bed, I've also found that some rabbits just love to pee on soft things.

Yikes! Sounds like there's a snipping in order! I've also read that even fixed buns may pee and poo on beds and couches because they tend to be full of your sent so they are trying to claim the area (and you) as theirs. :sweep

He needs to be neutered.And, keep in mind that you can't just put him outside anyway. It's winter. You need to wait until early spring now when the weather is more temperate so his coat can adjust. He'd be much too cold now.

Prevention is key. Before you let him out, make sure he goes. Also, put down sheets and blankets to protect your furniture. If he can jump out of his Xpen, invest in a higher one, or put a sheet as a "roof". A sheet will make his bunny brain think the way is blocked (hopefully).

And, this is way out there, but i wonder if some breeds of rabbits are harder to littertrain than others, just like some breeds of dogs. Both of mine (spayed females) pee in front of the box all. the. Time.

Imbrium has a rabbit that would scale her 4 ft high pen, to escape. She fixed that by putting panels of posterboard(or something like that) partway up, so that as her rabbit started climbing the fencing, it would get to the posterboard and not be able to climb past it. You coulld try something like that if he is climbing to get out. Or you could buy some sort of mesh to put over the top of the xpen so he can't jump out.

Just wanted to chime in that I agree with all posts. It is time to neuter!!

Until you can get him neutered...and to prevent him from being kicked outside before that happens...try restricting where he can go. Try some of the other suggestions regarding his x-pen and/or restrict him to certain rooms. Once he's neutered you can hopefully litterbox train him.

If you have a spay/neuter clinic near you that does rabbits, or humane society, or rabbit rescue, they will usually have a more affordable price for a neuter.

Imbrium has a rabbit that would scale her 4 ft high pen, to escape. She fixed that by putting panels of posterboard(or something like that) partway up, so that as her rabbit started climbing the fencing, it would get to the posterboard and not be able to climb past it. You coulld try something like that if he is climbing to get out. Or you could buy some sort of mesh to put over the top of the xpen so he can't jump out.

yup, posterboard worked like a charm! Nala was escaping on a nightly basis until I figured out that she was *climbing* the pen where it meets the condo and someone suggested posterboard - she hasn't gotten out even once since I ziptied a sheet of it along the top of the pen in the spot where she was climbing.

So neutering really helps with litter training? My boy, Ripley, pees in his litter box a lot more now that it's right in front of his hay rack and next to his food and water but he still goes on the floor when I let him out into his play pen. I want to let him run free in my room but not until he's at least only peeing in his cage, but I've had no luck with it. I spray vinegar on places where he pees outside of his cage but it doesn't help. In a month or so, I'll have enough money to get him neutered and he'll be old enough. I just want to make sure it's absolutely necessary. I don't want him to have to stay in a cage his whole life. He doesn't seem to mind too much but I still want him to get the exercise he needs and he gets a little restless if it's been a long time since he's been given some playtime.

Hiii,

I have got a similar problem and would really appreciate your help ! I have got a 13 week old baby girl who refuses to choose a place for her disposals. In the end I chose the area (I believe) she used most and put all her disposals and rabbit litter there. But although I do that every day she continues to pee and crap all over the cage. When I move her pee she gets annoyed and tries to get at my hand, but she doesn't do that with the droppings. She is not spayed yet as I was told that I should only look into in around a month. I am really getting worried though as she doesn't seem to understand :(
Any suggestions ?

Latest posts

Back