He dosent seem to like me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybunnie8

Reaction score
I got my new bun a little over a weekago and I i have tryed to let him settle in and get use to how thingsgo at my house. It just me and my 2 chins so its not loud and noisy orhave lots or people poking at him or anything. He just seems scared ofme. I will walk over to his cage and say hi and he will run and hideand crunch down and freeze till I go away. :(Or if he is outI will try and get on the floor with him and he does the same thing. Ican touch him and even pick him up without a fight. He just seems tonot enjoy it at all. I even brought him on my bed and watched a fewmovie with him, hoping he would get use to my scent andbeingclose to meand that im ok. Didn't help. My BF says he lickedhim after giving him treats, but I get nothing. I even did a Hansel andGretel, yummy lettuce to eat if you get close trail. *sigh* He wouldn'teveneat the lettuce on the ground within 5' of me.

I know it hasn't been very long but he doesn't seem interested in me atall. I mean if he was interested in seeing who I was and maybe checkingme out every once in a while I would be fine.

Are there any tricks to help?

hey, im so sorry about sprinkles:(:(:(, i hopeyou feel better and he will always be with you in heart, he is in abetter place. now about your new bun. im sure he is just a baby, andscared, and if he isn't there are still ways you can get him to come.get a treat or somthing, or a piece of his food, maybe if there arelike, fake carrots in his food, you can use of of those if he seems tolike them. it may seem really weird, but im gonna have to ask YOU toact like a bunny. get down on your knees and fore arms, kind of how abunny sits. twitch your nose a bit, and be a bunny, i knowits weird but i do it and it works. when you do this, dont start outnear him, start away frmo him and make little noise, like if you weretrying to get a cat's attention, when u go PSS PSS PSS PSS heh. afteryou have got his attention, hold the treat in your hand while stillacting like a bunny, he should come to u, if he does, be very still andgive him the food/treat. good luck :), respond and tell me how it goes

Midnight01wrote:
it may seem really weird, but im gonna have to ask YOU toact like a bunny. get down on your knees and fore arms, kind of how abunny sits. twitch your nose a bit, and be a bunny, i knowits weird but i do it and it works.
Good advice Midnight01. That's what I do too.

With Pebbles, I use her pellets as treats. Itreather one pellet at a time so they go a longway. Just give Lancelot moretime to get use to you. Pebbles used to be soscared of the vacuum cleaner when I clean up. Butnow, she's so use to it, I'm able to vacuumher!

Rainbows! :)

Sometimes it just takes a while. Ittook me months with Basil. She would let me pet her, if shewas in the cage and once I could catch her, she would let me pick herup and didn't fight (I've been lucky, none of my buns fight beingheld), but when she was out of the cage, I got nothing. Istill don't get much and I've had her since November. I'mhappy with the little things, we've progressed to, she lets me pet herout of the cage, sometimes, she chins on me, she eats from my hand....

Daisy is pretty aloof too. She will only eat from my hand, ifshe wants to, not all the time. Last night, she wouldn't eventake Craisins from me. LOL I feel bad, so I end upputting it in her dish. She doesn't seek me out forattention, but takes it willingly if I seek her out.

Are you sure he's a male? I honestly thing females are justmore independent. No matter what, give him some time, andspend lots of time, just being with him. Let him come toyou. It will happen, it just can take a long time if hewasn't handled a lot as a baby. I can see that differencebetween Basil and Sampson. Basil's breeder, was a bigbreeder, she didn't handle the kits nearly enough. Sampson'sbreeder had the kits in the house, spent tons of time with them and wasjust really into spending time with her buns. I would sayit's because he's a flemish and they are just like that, but all herbuns were friendly. I saw them all and they all were beggingfor attention at the cage bars. I know it's hard, but try tobe patient.

Jen

i just did some research in my bunny book, and listen up. your bunny might have had the snuffles or allergies.

Snuffels-The snuffels may sound cute at first, but once the enws fromyour vet has come, it can be quit alarming.....hmm, let me see, imlooking in my book..ahhh hre we are.. snuffles. " colds among rabbitsare known as "snuffles." Typical snuffles will clear up easily withproper treatment from your vetinarian and won't return if the rabbit iskept in clean, dry, draft-free living quarters (a.k.a enviroment...yourhouse). Some rabbits seem prone to getting snuffles again and againt,no matter how cozy and clean their houses are kept. This leads mantrabbit professionals to believe that different irritants may indeedcause snuffles and colds. Whateer causes snuffles, a wet nose isusually the first indication that your rabbit has caught a cold."

ok so there you have it. when you found the crust stuff by his nose,was it wet and THEN got thec rust stuff?, ill read "allergies" to youas well.

Allergies- Rabbits' eye problems can also stem frmo allergies. Have youchanged the litter or bedding? Cleaned with a different disinfectant?Fed new foods? Sometimes a rabbit can get watery eyes as a result of anallergic reaction to the dust in his hay or litter. Some woods shavingsput off volatile gases that can irritate a bunny;s sensitive eyes. Ifpossible, go back to whatever you were doing originally and see if theproblem clear up on its own. If it doesn't, a trip to the vet is inorder."

listen its ok if you didn't know this, it wasn't your fault, im sure uare the one of the best bunny carers in the world, so dont worry ok.

wow im dumb...i just found the part on Pasteurella....someone mentionedthat earlier, but they didn't explain it, i dont think, let me do thatfor you..by the way, its a type of bacteria

Pasteurella-"The Pasteurella bacterium is the most common in thehomeenvironment. Cats can carry this bacterium in their mouths. Themost common signs that Pasteurella bacteria are present are respiratoryproblems, eye or nose discharge, and head tilt. This is very contagiousand being easily transmitted frmo one rabbit to another. Many rabbitsare carriers of these bacteria and can live a full life span withoutcomplications. Some rabbits may show symptoms while under stress."

I'm so sorry, but i think your rabbit had Pasteurella. If you havecats, my personal advice is to bring them to the vet and see if you canget the Pasteurella bacterium removed...WAIT dont do that....i wouldn'tcall thischeating, but call them up and ask them if its even possibleto remove the bacteria from the cats mouth first, that way you savemoney; instead of wasting money by going there first, the asking them aquestion on the phone is free. If they can't remove it, then just keepthe cats away frmo the rabbit cage. YOUR NEW RABBIT MIGHT BE IN DANGERAS WELL! So if the cage is in a free room such as a living room, movethe cage to a palce where the cat wont go....if you even havea cat that is. I'm 90% sure he had Pasteurella.:(

Well I got down and talk to him, andnothing....but then i pretended to clean my ears he seemed interested.I got a few treats to him but I think I confused him a little bit. AndI have to be careful of the treats because once my chins hear or thinkthey hear the sound of the treat container you getthis.....
jasper1online.jpg

midnight I talked to the vet when I tookLancelot in and he said it sounded like she had a twisted intestine orsomthing....I think she may have eaten some carpet and it got lodged inher tummy....I'll never really know,all I know it was either arespiratory problem or a tummy problem. I think her being a Rex andtheir tendency to be over weight also contributed. Looking at thepictures of her now I can see she was a little more then just chubby.

PS. No cat, just 2 chinchillas

hmmm...ok that's it, come heck or highwater, our Fawn has got to lose some weight :(

I'm so sorry for you loss honneybunnie8

Hi Honeybunnie8,

As pointed out, it does take some time with some buns. Ittook Tucker months to really warm up to me. He's a Polish andI had gotten him when he was 8 weeks old. I thinkthe thing that helped me the most with him is that I'd sit on the floorand let him come up to me. I wouldn't try to pick him up - oreven pet him because he'd scoot so fast as if my hand was on fire if ittouched him. I had gotten to the point where I'd walk aroundhim and when he wouldn't run when I'd get a foot from him, I knew I wasmaking progress. '

Suddenly one day, he graced me with allowing me to pet him, and soonthereafter, he was circling me, and hanging out with me more andmore...until I had gotten other rabbits and now he's back to his "can'ttouch this" game.

Patience, getting on their level, and talking to them a lothelps. I think I had really bonded well with Tucks when I'dput him in his cage. I'd spend 10 minutes each night saying good nightto him and just petting him. He realized after a bit that Iwasn't so bad afterall.

Chin up, and Keep us posted. He'll come aroundeventually. (I remember even thinking to myself at one point,"This is killing me. I have this adorable littleanimal and I can't get near him." Time took care ofthat.)

-Carolyn

OMG What a cute chin!!!!!!!!! I am planning ongetting one myself after we've moved. I was going to wait on gettingChinny, but my daughter is too cute to say no to sometimes LOL

Virginia

cirrustwi wrote:
Are you sure he's a male?

I am very sure He is a He. :)A. he has been neutered becausehe is around a 1yr old. B. you can see and feel the skin left over fromwhere he use to have...looking for a nice way to say it...testicles...Iguess that will work :)

Rowena I have had Jasper my chin for about 3-4 yrs now...he is a goodboy and loves me but is very mean to anyone else. He gets reallyjealous and will attack any other animal that come in the house. Iwould never suggest a chinchilla for a pet for a small child, or mostpeople actually. They are mostly a hands off find of animal that don'tlike being held and take tons of patience.Plus they live an averagelife of 15yrs.

I think for Lancelot I will force him to eat his dinner with me.Meaning I will feed him his dinner and sit in his play area with him.That way he should get the idea I'm not mean, and connect me with yummyfood.:D:p

Do you guys think bringing him on my bed with meto watch a movie is pushing it with him? When I have he like to burrowin the blankets and lay down. I'm not sure how much he is enjoyinghimself and how much he is scared.

I guess I just haven't figured out his body language out yet. Well,except for a few things. Last night he ran into his play area and Iclosed the gate and he was heading towards the door when I closed itand he thumped at me and got upset and went in his cage to hide.:?

I think it would be OK to watch a movie with him.

And I love the name! "Lancelot" So...unique! :)

Don't worry, he'll grow on you and you'll grow on him eventually.

Ally:cool:

Your bun just needs some getting used to.
Maybe try letting your bun roam around the house for a few hours
or so? Maybe that'll work? Emmy had the same attititude when we first got her!
We just let her out of her cage for at least an hour every day. Acouple of days later she got some geting used to and opened up to thefamily.

Good luck with you and your bun!
I'm sure that'll you guys will become best buds in no time [;

Emmy & Family

He gets to come out everyday for a fewhours...either in his play area or the living room depending on what imdoing..right now one of my chins is out playing ao he is in his playarea with his dinner...I think Jasper(chin) might have scaredhim..Jasper is very jelouse and tryed to attack him throught the barsof the playarea...It's funny to watch a small puffball get so angry...:p

This was just the thread I needed to read! I'vehad my rabbit a month and she hasn't warmed to me. I bet it was becauseshe wasn't handled as a baby, so I need more patience. I got some goodideas from this thread. Thanks.

Nancy

Latest posts

Back