Hayrack?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be cautious with the plastic. Bunnies will chew and plastic is not a good thing to digest. Their poopy boxes and some water bowls and food bowls are plastic but they are a non-toxic hard plastic which is very hard to chew. They can nick it but they can't chew it and get pieces off of it. You don't want pieces of plastic in your bunny's digestive system. If you want to go shoe box, use cardboard. They can chew that with no worries.

Hope this helps.

K :)

That's helpful. Thanks Karen :) btw I heard they do like to bite ALOT. So isit safe to use a shoebox to keep the hay? I mean they might swallow cardboard / overturn it :/

Cardboard will not hurt them if ingested. I would rather go with cardboard than plastic.

And regarding turning it over, you can guarantee it if you have an active bunny, but again I would rather have cardboard than plastic.

BTW, I don't use racks or boxes, I just put my hay in their litter box. They like it that way. It's still messy though, but hay is an important part of their diet. Whether it's low in nutrient, it does help with hairballs and keeping teeth healthy with all the chewing.

Bleah my litter box is too small (just nice for a rabbit to sit comfortably) to put too much hay there so I'd just stick with a shoebox I guess. And pray they won't pee in it :p
THANKS AGAIN! :D

I did use cardboard shoeboxes & Honey didn't chew them, so I knew plastic would be ok. When she chewed on plastic when I first got her, she didn't swallow it either. I ran out of shoeboxes because she stood on them & they didn't last too many weeks. lol

We are actually using a small plastic trash bin (very small) with a whole cut in the side... Cookie loves it and it keeps the mess down quite a bit... I check it everyday for signs of chewing, and so far so good :)

katnanw wrote:
Wow everyone's rabbits seem so tame on here....mine are like chewers and diggers and stompers :(
Honey is a chewer of her cardboard hide box & digs in her dig box. I think she doesn't chew on the hay box because hay is right there for her to eat instead.

I find the wire organizer racks the best for holding hay. They don't necessarily contain it as well as the plastic bins, but they don't have the problem of the hay getting stuck halfway or somesuch. IKEA apparently sells some good ones that hook right onto the side of the cage. I can't remember what the name was, though. Also, some hardware stores and dollar stores carry similar racks. You just have to keep your eyes open for them.

This is what I use for Gus (although I've been told it's near impossible to find the same rack):

17436_384717140505_779545505_10239711_6061193_n.jpg

Hope that helps!

Rue

I use a wire rack I found in Wal-Mart in the kitchen section. I hook it up very similar to the picture above. They seem to like digging and pulling the hay out between the bars. For the most part loose strands just end up in the litter box.

They do occasionally get the urge to decorate, but I just sweep it up.

I made a couple of hay racks out of empty Eggo boxes.

Here's the one in the kitchen:

hay_rack_1.jpg

And the one in the bedroom.

hay_rack_2.jpg

I made a round hole in the kitchen one, and a flap door in the bedroom. I also have one of those rolly ball types in the litter box (you can see it on the right).

Wow those seem like a great idea! ;) prolly gotta wait till next week though , I'm keeping them in their cages for now because I'm taking them to the vet's later to get them neutered :( but I'll be on a lookout for big cardboard boxes , thanks !! :biggrin:

It's really a good idea. Probably could build it myself for less with odds and ends. Like the cardboard box one too. Interesting way to give hay to your rabbits.

ZRabbits wrote:
... Like the cardboard box one too. Interesting way to give hay to your rabbits.

I used to just put it in a big ceramic bowl. But the Zoomer would dig it all out, spread it around the floor and pick out the "good" pieces. LOL! He's a hay connoisseur.

Back