Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove817

Reaction score
I am ordering some hay from kleenmama but I dont know how much to get. I only have on bun (probably two in a week or so) and I go through a bag of oxbow western timothy hay (9 lbs) in about a month. If you keep the hay in a well ventilated area, how long will it stay good? And what is the best way to keep it?

If stored properly (away from moisture and allowed to breath), it can be good for over a year. Think that hay is harvested in the summer and has to last until the following summer. So even at the shortest time from the last harvest to the first of the next year, it is at least 8 months. I buy enough hay, by the bale, to last about a year. For me, that is about 3-4 bales.

If you have the space and money up front, I don't see why you should not by a larger amount of hay. You probably don't need more than 50 pounds at a time and should save money over buying the smaller bags. As you are probably getting another bun, I would buy hay in larger amounts. If they are not bonded right away (or you don't plan on bonding), then the amount of hay you use could double and that will get expensive.

I think (having not bought store hay in a couple years) that most hay bags are designed to store the hay, at least for a while. You could poke some holes in the bag so it can air our. I would not totally open the bag as it could brown the hay faster.

bunnylove817 wrote:
I am ordering some hay from kleenmama but I dont know how much to get. I only have on bun (probably two in a week or so) and I go through a bag of oxbow western timothy hay (9 lbs) in about a month. If you keep the hay in a well ventilated area, how long will it stay good? And what is the best way to keep it?
one bun,,trying to save on expenses.??/-i am not sure,//-,but properly stored -1-bale would last you about a year/-if kept out of the elements/free from insects/allowed to breath/out of direct daylight.//.i just bought a bale timothy$18,,the weight must have been at least 200 #,,not complaining but i am disabled and normally only have to deal with the average weight of 125-145#bale//can you keep it in a cool dry area,free from collecting dirt,sunlight,insects,water--my little darlings switch to orchard grass when it feels right//they have hay bins access 24/7 and hay for poop boxes...i hope this generates some thought for you--it is a big decision,,,even for pellets//.i buy(2) 50#bags monthly-purina rabbit chow,,each one /bun,gets half cup a day--pellets and hay will go stale and the rabbits won,t eat it,,so purchasing from oxbow,etc.don,t maybe sound so bad--keep it fresh,,they will love you..sincerely james waller:wave:

The biggie is sunlight and the ability to breathe...
If it is exposed to sunlight it bleaches the hay and it will make it sweat causing mold...the same with letting it breathe...if it can't it will mold...

We buy 2-3 bales at a time...we put them in oversize contractor garbage bags...poke vent holes in them and store them in our basement..making sure they are up off the floor...basement floors are bad! The one we use is stored in its garbage bag in the closet of the bunny playroom and we just pull out what we need when we need it.

Our kids seem to like the second cut of hay...much greener and nicer than the fall cuts...so once we know they have baled it and brought it in from the field we go and buy enough to get us through to at least mid-winter...we can't store any more than that! With 10 bunns we go through one bale every 2-3 months.

Danielle

Well thanks to Danielle (Runestonez) I finally have bales of hay that are inexpensive and very good quality.

I was paying $65.00 for 1 bale of hay, I know crazy but still less expensive than buying the 96 oz of Kaytee hay at $20.00+ per bag, don't forget I have 7 bunnies.

My bunnies are very happy with the new hay, they are munching down on it.

Thanks again Danielle for getting the hay for me.

By the way I met Danielle's bunnies and they are adorable. I especially LOVE the 2 BEW Lionheads CUTE CUTE CUTE. And Danielle is a SUPER person too.

Susan :)

My hay don't last that long.

I am lucky to find a hayfarmer 20 minutes from my house. I get hay every month or two and share it with othermembers on the forum. The last trip I got 10 bales in the van. I find cardboard boxes that the bale of hay will fit in, and that is how I store it. I always donate the left over and excess hay to our shelter when I am ready for the next hay run.

If I got one of those 20 gallon plastic containers and cut holes all through it and put the hay in there with the lid on and put it in my kitchen would it last for awhile? I'm sick of the rabbits getting into the hay bags and throwing hay everywhere!!

Back