hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably not. Hay is almost entirely fiber. Is it Timothy Hay?

Rabbits should hav unlimited access to hay.

hay will not make your bunny overweight. thebunny should have unlimited access to fresh dry hay for as muchas he wants. hay aids in the digestion process and shouldalways be given. my rabbit can not get enough of timothy alfalfa

I was wondering this too. The previous ownersnever gave him hay and he eats a couple of handfuls a day now so Iguess that's good!

naturestee wrote:
As long as it's not alfalfa or clover, there's no such thingas too much hay.;)

why not alfalfa? is timothy alfalfa ok? i use timothy alfalfa or grassy alfalfa.

Alfalfa is high in protein and is too rich forregular feeding. It should only be given as a treat or as asupplement to young, growing buns. Otherwise yes, the buncould get fat. He could also have more problems with cecalsdue to a high protein diet.

For the mixed hay, it depends on how much alfalfa there is init. I have some mixed grass that the farmer picked out forme. He had a field with almost no alfalfa and he searched thebales for the one with the least alfalfa in it. There'sessentially none in there, which is good because two of my rabbits arevery sensitive to protein and alfalfa. If it's got anoticable amount of alfalfa then it's probably too much for an adultrabbit that eats alfalfa pellets.

hotchocolatewithsmarties!!!!!wrote:
im not sure of the type of hay we get, its just thebags at the petshopto behonest, hehe.
If you bought it at the pet shop, it most likely is timothy (at leastthat's what the pet shops here in the states carry, I'm not sure ifit's the same way where you are).

Greta :) and the Bun Boyz :brownbunny:brownbunny

Greta wrote:
hotchocolatewithsmarties!!!!! wrote:
im not sure of the type of hay we get, its just the bags atthe petshopto behonest, hehe.
If you bought it at the pet shop, it most likely is timothy (at leastthat's what the pet shops here in the states carry, I'm not sure ifit's the same way where you are).

Greta :) and the Bun Boyz :brownbunny:brownbunny

Most pet shops over here have meadow hay, other types of hay can bebought but are much harder to find, meadow is the mostcommon.;)

Latest posts

Back