Hay with silicates for molting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mootpoint

Reaction score
Hey,

I was shadowing a vet the other day and she mentioned that rabbits should have hays that are high in silicates during their molts, and that when they don't, this is when they start to eat drywall and other such things. What time of year would this fall into? I'm assuming Fall and Spring but thought I'd double check on here.

Silica in hay would be abrasive and would wear on teeth, but I don't know that it would increase gastric motility, which is what a rabbit needs, when it is going through a molt especially. I don't know how someone could possibly know how much silica is in each batch of hay without testing it. Usually what has the most effect on motility is less sugars and carbs in the diet, as they slow down digestion, and increasing indigestible fiber. Indigestible fiber is what helps push the gut along. You find this in more mature stalky hay and rabbit safe tree branches and leaves. Some rabbits lacking in sufficient indigestible fiber, will resort to eating cardboard, paper, etc to try and make up for this lack of fiber.

Rabbits usually have 4 molts a year, and generally one or two of them may be quite heavy, though some rabbits seem to molt constantly. But the molting does seem to vary depending on the individual rabbit, and sometimes the diet as well. Usually the heavy molts will be in spring and sometimes fall.

Latest posts

Back