Hay - trough or on floor of cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotina

Reaction score
I just recently switched Tina & Turboshay. While at the Rabbit Seminar this past wknd I told Pam that theywerent eating their hay. I had been buying Timothy hay at PetCo. Shegave me some of the kind from when they were at her rescue. They stillwerent touching it. A friend bunnyowner told me she keeps her bunnieshay right on the floor of bunny's cage. We had been using a trough. Howdoes your bunny/ies eat their hay? from a trough? or from the floor ofthe cage? (Im afraid they may poop in it although they do usually usetheir litterbox)

Mine is in the litter pan, in a paper bag thatthey shred than eat the hay, some stuffed into a toilet paper roll. andsome in different size boxes with whoes cut in and stuffed with hay.Hay is everywhere! Than in boxes around the apartment when they are out.

None of my four rabbits will eat hay that's intheir litterbox. At all. The floor is usuallyignored too unless Loki pulled out a giant wad of hay for one of his"hay parties." Spoiled beasts!

What they do like is a large hay rack hanging over theirlitterboxes. I make mine out of extra NIC cubes.They also like to eat hay out of boxes and wicker baskets.

i place a rectangle container inside its litterbox as a hay containerand secure it with 2 clothes pegs sotat my bunny cant push or trash it around. I also made a center dividerin the hay container so tat he cant jump in n sit on the hay to eat.Before i add the divider, he always jump in n eat npooinsidethe hay container. He likes it alot cozhe can poo n pee at the same time he eates. But sm how, therectangle container seems to be too small these days as he hadincreased his hay appetite.

For my two I put their orchard grass in theirhay rack, their meadow hay in their litter box and I also top off theirstraw in their bed area with meadow hay too munch on when they're inbed!:D

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
orchard grass in their hay rack, their meadow hayin their litter box,andstraw in their bed
You're really spoiling them. :D

I cut mine (Tim. Hay)to fit in abowl. So it stays neatand clean.

21593.jpg

Rainbows! :)

:shock2:Wow, my bunnies would finishthat off in one mouthful and be climbing on my knee begging me formore!;)Ruby and Millie like to be able to sit in their hayand dig right into it to find just the right bit to eat..;):rofl:

Millieeatinghay-1.jpg

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
:shock2:Wow, my bunnies would finish that off inone mouthful and be climbing on my knee begging me formore!;)Ruby and Millie like to be able to sit in their hayand dig right into it to find just the right bit to eat..;):rofl:

Millieeatinghay-1.jpg
That looks like what Kahlua does when she is in her litterbox. I cover the litter box in hay and she digs aroundfinding the tasty bits and eating them. She also gets ahay-stuffed toilet paper roll which she likes too.

BTW, is your rabbit a castor rex? he looks just like Kahlua and she is a standard castor rex. :)

I use large cat boxes for Nibbles, and put thehay in the front of the box. She loves to sit in the boxes, eat, anddig around in the hay. My guess is that she just loves digging in itand isn't all that picky - she loves hay, and also loves to dig.

With her, I've had no problems per dumping the litter or digging it outonto the floor - am guessing a lot depends on the bun's personality.Nibbles isn't a neat freak, but she seems to enjoy having the hay andlitter in one place. She alo enjoys jumping in and out of the box -it's one of her games.

Latest posts

Back