Hay transitioning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunloves

Reaction score
Hello!
Recently I switched to a different type of hay for my bunny. I had to switch him from oxbow timothy hay to small pet select in 1 day because I had no more hay and I expected the shipping from small pet select to be a little quicker. But, when the hay arrived, I almost run out of oxbow timothy hay already. He is pretty young and I'm slightly worried about his digestive system. He is eating, pooing, and drinking water normally and his behavior did not change. What I feel that is slightly weird is he has been peeing a lot more than usual(a lot meaning his litter would be mostly soaked in 1 day). Is that something I should worry about? I'm planning on taking him to the vet if something else changes in him.

PS the hay from both companies are all timothy hay.

Last edited:
Hay doesn't usually require a transition period, the only hay that it's recommended for is if you're introducing alfalfa hay. However just changing from one brand of timothy hay to another doesn't require a transition at all. The only reason that I'd suspect for increased urine is that perhaps he's eating more of the different brand and as a result drinking more water as well.

Back