hay racks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathryn303

Reaction score
I need ideas on what to use as a nice big hay rack for Bunny since she is eating more and more hay. My problem is that I can't just put hay in a big bowl because she will use it as a litterbox. :? Is it possible to bend an NIC panel in half? I also need some pics to get ideas. Thanks!

You can bend an NIC grid in half, that's what I did! I just set it on the floor and put a wooden board on top, stood on the board and pulled the edge of the grid towards me. it works really nicely.

Why not just put it on top of her litter in her box? My five LOVE it that way, and it encourages continued use of the litterbox! I've never had a problem with it, and they naturally don't eat the soiled hay. :)

I've recently gotten some hay racks that are plastic and hook on the outside of their cage. Bo has one on his NIC cage and so does Tony. Clover prefers her hay in the corner....

i have one that hangs ont he outside of the cage , and in sootys cage ihavesomething that goes in the shower and holds shampoos. it had plastic suction cups on the back that i pulled off and it works well for him. you also can go to the cavy cage site they show you how to bend a grid to use for a hay rack. in my guine pig cage i use a grid catty corner , with coroplast behind it and i fill it to the top and i put a ton of hay in there.

I think I know what you are talking about for the shower thing - did you get it at like Walmart? and they are plastic with little square holes? That would be a good one

I just thought of the wire basket accessories for pantries too - some of the ones that hook under a shelf look to be a great hay basket!

I use 2 CD racks that are triangular shaped. I zip tie them together and use S hooks to attatch them to the cage. I found them at a liquadation(sp?) store for 80 cents each.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I think I know what you are talking about for the shower thing - did you get it at like Walmart? and they are plastic with little square holes? That would be a good one

I just thought of the wire basket accessories for pantries too - some of the ones that hook under a shelf look to be a great hay basket!
the one i have is a metal wire, i know the ones you are talking about, and yes i did get it from walmart.lol, i was just on the site trying to find a picture of it and of course no luck, it was no more then 5, pretty sure it was under 5.

I'll get some pics but I use a few things:

The first is an NIC panel folded in half- zip tie one half to the cage. The second is a milk jug- you cut a large hole in the bottom of the milk jug and one at the top as well (cutting the top off). Then you flip it upside down and zip tie the handle to a corner in the cage. Its ince bc you can put hay in the top (really the bottom) and the bunny pulls it out the bottom (the real top of the milk jug).

Heres a pic of the milk jug idea:

Bunnies457.jpg

Haley! I have just been thinking of something I can use for Snuff. I brought a small box home from work and stuffed it with hay and all he did was send it against the back wall of his cage and it got wasted:(.

This is a grand idea. It'll be up high and attached. We'll see what he does to it:shock:.

I'm gonna try it. Yay:D. I'll let you know how it goes:).

P.S. I wasneverclever enough to think of puttingthe hayrack above the litter pan:foreheadsmack:. I mean, now I put Snuff's in a corner of his litter box. With my first rabbit, I didn't do this, and with AngelI didn't. For Angel now, I put itin toilet paper tubes (tubas as she knows them:p), but she eats more out of them. Right now, I haveoat hay sticking out oneend and timothy out the other:D.

Hey, that milk jug idea is great! I'll need to keep that in mind. With Cinnabun, I always just put his hay in his food bowl and it seemed to work fine. Maybe he he was an extraordinarily neat bunny...

I discovered how handy putting hay over the litterbox was when I realized Bo sits and poos while he eats hay! :rollseyes However, he won't eat his hay over his litterboxes now cause he wants it up where he stays all the time in his cage - his second level - or kitchen and bedroom combo as I call it LOL!

He doesn't poo there tho - not in his bed. Now if it were my bed......

Back