Hay rack vs. bowl for hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim1218

Reaction score
I recently switched Shadow from a bowl for her hay to a hay rack secured to the side of her cage. The onlyreason I switched is because she kept dumping her bowl upside down. Now she doesn't want to eat from the rack - shewaseating the stuff she dumped out of the bowl until I cleaned it all out yesterday. Is there something I can to to entice her to eat from the rack? She just finishes her pellets every day and doesn't seem to touch the hay. It's the same exact bag that she's been eating since I got her. I've only had it about a month, and I keep it tightly closed between uses, so it isn't stale. Maybe I'll give her the bowl back. Maybe she'll stopdumping it since she can come out of her cage now (after 9 days confinced after her spay) to burn off the energy.

Hmm. It might just be that she's not used to the hay rack yet, so she's not sure what to do with it.

Maybe put some hay on the bottom under the rack. Maybe associating that area with food will help her figure it out
:)

You could try to put a very small drop of vanilla extract on the hay rack to entice her over and start nibbling.

That's a good idea. I put the rack near the ramp between both levels of the cage so she has to go by it. I'm hoping that helps her get used to it, and maybe get her scent on it faster. I'm going to try putting some hay under it to lure her over. Thanks!

Oh, vanilla is a good idea, too. I'll have to see if she likes that scent, first, then I'll utry it. Hopefully she doesn't try to munch up the rack, as it's made from willow. She doesn't chew on her other willow things, though, so we'll see!

I say just give her some time, and add a new handful of hay so that it seems "new" and interesting.

Willow hay racks are great, and perfectly fine for eating, so don't worry if she does decide to chew on it a bit. I'm sure she'll get the hang of it.

I have a couple bunnies who won't eat much hay if it's in a hay rack but they will eat it if it's in a box or on the floor. '

Not sure why, Maybe it's too much work for them pulling it out piece by piece :p

I've been adding a few new pieces every day to keep it fresh. I think maybe she got lazy after eating it off the floor once she dumped the bowl. I'll give her a few more days to see if she takes to it with some of these tricks.

Kim1218 wrote:
I recently switched Shadow from a bowl for her hay to a hay rack secured to the side of her cage. The onlyreason I switched is because she kept dumping her bowl upside down. Now she doesn't want to eat from the rack - shewaseating the stuff she dumped out of the bowl until I cleaned it all out yesterday. Is there something I can to to entice her to eat from the rack? She just finishes her pellets every day and doesn't seem to touch the hay. It's the same exact bag that she's been eating since I got her. I've only had it about a month, and I keep it tightly closed between uses, so it isn't stale. Maybe I'll give her the bowl back. Maybe she'll stopdumping it since she can come out of her cage now (after 9 days confinced after her spay) to burn off the energy.
24/7 grasses.//.grass holders(wire-rack)-works very well.//.i even use grasses in the poop boxes..i use timothy/orchard,,and fresh green grasses (for the rack),..sincerely james waller:p:biggrin:

I used to use a rack, but now just serve hay in the litterbox. Less mess and they eat a ton of hay.

I gave up and put the bowl back. She went right back to pigging out on her hay! Thankfully she stopped dumping it out, too. She still wants nothing to do with the rack, but I'm leaving it in to see if she starts eating from it eventually.

my rabbits never liked eating hay from a rack, so now i just pile up new hay on the floor. they are bedded on hay anyway, but they will only eat it from the floor.

Kim1218 wrote:
ther are alot of advantages to using a grass rack,,rather than a bowl,,..sincerely james waller:p

I just bought an intresting hay holder today. Just wondering if anyone else uses one. It's a Hay Ball.. you fill it with your rabbits favorite hay.. and then it can be hung from the top of the cage. Less mess, and it gives them something to play with. I really like it so far.

tinybunnies wrote:
I just bought an intresting hay holder today. Just wondering if anyone else uses one. It's a Hay Ball.. you fill it with your rabbits favorite hay.. and then it can be hung from the top of the cage. Less mess, and it gives them something to play with. I really like it so far.
I've seen them, but I don't think Shadow would use it. She doesn't play with any of her other hanging toys, and she still won't eat out of the hay rack I bought her. It's a shame because her cage would stay a lot cleaner without a bowl of hay! Not that she cares:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back