Hay rack issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
Question everyone, what do you guys use to hold hay in your bunnie's cage? I am having issues with Dexter, he is a huge digger and digs at his hay rack, in the morning most of the hay has ended up on the cage floor and has been peed on :( I will post a picture of the hay rack i am currently using and racks i have tried.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754646 ( the one being used now)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753304 ( it makes a mess and we lost a lot of hay)

http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/merch...uct_Code=61912&Category_Code=2FeedersHayRacks
( most of it falls out )

We use a large dish pan full of hay on the opposite side of his enclosure than the litter box... We just started using this a few days ago... And so far so good! He like to get in there and dig and sleep... But not using it as a little box yet...

Aaah yes I have had the 1st one (useless) and now have the 3rd one that you have listed. Harvey tends to pull the hay out and make a mess before eating. I think he'd do that no matter what kind of rack I have.

I did a little research online and found that some bunny parents prefer homeade hay racks to pet store ones. Now I just need ideas :sigh::dunno:ponder:

Hello
I just put hay in the litter boxes bc I noticed that if I used a hay rack they would poo wherever they ate hay. I was worried that they would get confused as to where to go potty. And could never put enough hay in the racks for them. Just a thought :D

Ape337 wrote:
Hello
I just put hay in the litter boxes bc I noticed that if I used a hay rack they would poo wherever they ate hay. I was worried that they would get confused as to where to go potty. And could never put enough hay in the racks for them. Just a thought :D
Agree with Ape337 about pooing wherever there was hay. I put it in the litter box too. Poo in the litter box about 99% of the time. They always like to make it known it's their place. lol

K :)

Oooh yeah I have my hay rack by the litter box as well as putting a big pile in the box. Silly bun likes to eat while he's doing his business. Plus I've noticed that he's been eating more hay now that I put it in his litter box.

My hay rack is just the box our kettle came in cut in half and then a little piece cut out of the front (hope you get the image I don't have any pictures lol) I am lucky though because Rocky isn't much of a digger.

Is Dexter neutered? I'm sure this comes up a lot but it will help with toilet habits if he is.

Get a big litter tray if space will allow and put a bit of hay in there so he can chew it and poop on it in there and hang the hay rack next to one end so if he rakes it out of the rack it will just go in his letter tray :)

Hope that helps :)

Also have a look around at discount stores for things like small dish racks for cutlery or something like that maybe they might be better than a pet shop hay rack :)

Latest posts

Back