Hay question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebe623

Reaction score
The rabbitry were i'm getting my bun from gives them Timothy Hay instead of alfalfa. I'll be getting my bun this weekend and was wondering do i keep him on Timothy or switch to alfalfa? His newest picture is attached.

facebook_-911095763jpg.jpg

I would give both. Alfalfa is good for growing rabbits, but it is also good that she get used to eating timothy. If you only want to give one, then alfalfa would be better until she is around 6 months old and then switch to timothy.

Alfalfa is good for growing rabbits til 6 months. It has extra calcium and protein. We use orchard grass--less dust and I'm not allergic to it nearly as much as I am to Timothy. That is one cute little bunny, too!

It's more important that the pellets be alfalfa than that the hay is. Hay's nutritional value is less important than its value to keep the digestion going. But at this young age I'd give more alfalfa than grass hay & then start to change the ratio in a month or so, phasing out alfalfa at about 6 months.

Thanks for replying

I'll be sure to give more alfalfa over Timothy.

I have another question
I know the pellets i got are alfalfa based so at what age do i switch to Timothy based? I assume its at 6month just like the hay but want to be sure.

Bebe623 wrote:
Thanks for replying

I'll be sure to give more alfalfa over Timothy.

I have another question
I know the pellets i got are alfalfa based so at what age do i switch to Timothy based? I assume its at 6month just like the hay but want to be sure.
First would like to say what a sweetie Leon is.

I switch from alfalfa pellets to timothy pellets at 6 months when my bunnies reach that age. At that time, I start giving veggies.

Right now for my 6 week old Flemish, I have a mixture of alfalfa hay and timothy. Without the alfalfa, he was just playing with the hay. Now with this mixture his interest in hay is growing. I try to instill in my bunnies the love of eating hay. It's essential for a bunny.

Look forward to hearing more about your little guy.

K

Latest posts

Back