Hay question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winggx

Reaction score
Hello all, I have several questions about hay that I wanted to ask.
I don't want to write a long paragraph, so I will just put them in question form.

1. Is it better to feed hay from a hay feeder or from a bowl? Most of the time, when I grab hay out of the package, only 60% of the hay are still in good shape... (the long, unbroken ones). The rest are broken down into tiny pieces, sometimes even turned into hay powder... If I put those hay powder into the hay feeder, they just fall straight out from it into the cage... That's why I am thinking of a bowl instead.

2. I was told that one of the purpose of hay is to keep the rabbit's teeth worn down. If this is the case, does it mean when I grab hay out of the package, I should pick the long, unbroken ones? (because the tiny, powder-like hay won't do the job well?)

Thank you in advance!

I'd probably buy hay from a different source if almost half of it was coming out as dust since too much of it could irritate their sinuses/lungs.

My hay is about 95% long pieces and some shorter pieces and a tiny bit of dust.

You could also use something like a colander to "sift" this fine dust out.

If you want to make your own hay rack, you could build one out of a mini trash can as I and others have done. It has a solid bottom so the smaller stuff wouldn't be falling through but they can get the larger pieces from the front.

Like this:
photo36.jpg

And without the hay in it:
photo35.jpg

Definitely have to get a better supplier for your hay. I look at the packages before purchasing. You can see through some areas of the package to see how dry or dusty it really is.

Regarding hay rack or bowl, Kim gave a very good suggestion. I always put my hay in my bunnies' litter box. They remove it and put it on the floor of their crates. And love to munch while lounging. It helped also with litter training the babies.

K:)

I agree with the others, I'd get different hay. Mine is almost all long pieces (but I also get it fresh right from a hay farm), so I use a hay ball, its like a wire ball that has one big opening to shove the hay in. Works very well for us.

Definitely get hay elsewhere, but the pieces can be made into cookies or granola. Take some & some ripe banana & water & make into shapes & let dry.

Definitely get hay elsewhere, but the pieces can be made into cookies or granola. Take some & some ripe banana & water & make into shapes & let dry.

Back