hay in bulk

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosalie

Reaction score
I've been looking and still havent found a good place to buy hay in bulk online anyone know where i can get some tired of paying 7 dollars for a 48 ounce bag that sophie goes through by herself in a week or less

Actually, because all hay is harvested for maybe 4-6 months a year, it won't lose any more nutrients if you store it properly than if it's stored by someone else before you buy it. So unless you don't have a place to store it, I'd suggest getting enough to last until at least mid-summer. Check out kmshayloft.com. Their shipping costs are high, but the total price is reasonable for 25 lbs.

LakeCondo wrote:
Actually, because all hay is harvested for maybe 4-6 months a year, it won't lose any more nutrients if you store it properly than if it's stored by someone else before you buy it. So unless you don't have a place to store it, I'd suggest getting enough to last until at least mid-summer. Check out kmshayloft.com. Their shipping costs are high, but the total price is reasonable for 25 lbs.

I agree with this. Their hay is very good and lasts about a year depending how much you get and how many bunnies you have.

i plan to store it in the bunny room on top of the large table i have in there and I have 2 bunnies right now but possibly more soon ..

Thank you for the information, I just remember reading somewhere else... possibly this forum, that it loses nutrients over time. Oh well.

in order to keep it as "fresh" as possible for your buns, how do you store it? freeze it? refrigerate it?

i live about 30 mins from town and its a pain going and getting hay from wal mart which is the only place that carries it around here and they only carry the 20 oz or 48 oz and they only have 1-2 in stock most of the time so looking for an alternative to wasting gas money going back and forth to town every week

Keep the hay dry and out of direct sunlight. You don't need to freeze it or anything either. Let the hay breathe, so don't put it in a bag or sealed container. If you have to store multiple bales, keep them off concrete. Don't open a bale until you need it and try to keep it compressed if you can, like take a few flakes then tie it back up.
If you are buying a box of hay, just leave the hay in the box (as long as the box is in good condition). Leave the top open if you can and the hay should be fine.

Pellets do lose nutrients over time. You can put them in zip lock bags so you aren't exposing a big bag to air all the time.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Keep the hay dry and out of direct sunlight. You don't need to freeze it or anything either. Let the hay breathe, so don't put it in a bag or sealed container. If you have to store multiple bales, keep them off concrete. Don't open a bale until you need it and try to keep it compressed if you can, like take a few flakes then tie it back up.
If you are buying a box of hay, just leave the hay in the box (as long as the box is in good condition). Leave the top open if you can and the hay should be fine.

Pellets do lose nutrients over time. You can put them in zip lock bags so you aren't exposing a big bag to air all the time.

Tyvm! Very informative!

I get a 60 pound bale of hay for $10 at our local feed store. With 4 rabbits I get hay twice a year. Yes a fair bit gets wasted in the litter box, but at that price I'm very free with it. I stand the bale on the short end in the corner of the room in an apple box so just the end is in the box. It keeps it clean and within easy reach during feeding time. I just pull off a chunk from the top each day.

It may depend on how many horses are around. I'm in an area of a lot of horse farms so they get lots of differnt blends in. I get 50% Timothy, 25% Orchard Grass, 25% Meadow Grass. My main concern is making sure there's no alfalfa in it, but since that tends to run more expensive it's easy to get just a grass blend.

Is tiffon bermuda same as just bermuda grass? If so, that is perfectly fine to feed rabbits.

I'm able to find hay for $7 a bale at our feed store. Its "horse hay" but they said lots of breeders from the area buy that as hay for their bunnies. Its not timothy or alfalfa.

Back