Hay from farm

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonyshuman wrote:
my concern is that most farmers here will not sell to someone who only wants 40-50lbs at a time, and i don't have a garage or anything to store it in. :(
Hi Tonyshuman,

You can buy single or half bales of hay from the WI House Rabbit Society in Madison on weekends. I bought 2 bales from them last year.

I'm not going to use my hay.
I decided to sort through it and pick out the clover and it was at at that point that I realized there is just too much clover in it. I could pick out all the flowers but the stems and other parts of the clover hay are not distinguishable to me from the grass hay .

I did do some reading and learned that certain clovers are blood -thinners and also that it can create a problem with the amount of calcium in it

Being in the infirmary and seeing the kidney/bladder issues recently (just today with Chase) and a few days ago with Luna I am just afraid of feeding clover particularly when I don't really know how much they are getting...:(
So I ordered a big supply from kleenmama's and will maybe wait until I can get a better hay source than this. I have a post on a website for this area asking for specific hay to buy

I think I posted several months ago that I got a ton of hay from an accidental dumping of a truck loaded with hay here in La crosse
That hay really was excelllent maybe 3rd cut timothy ..have no idea where it was going or where it came from but the rabbits loved it and there was not any clover in it at all. I took a lot to the shelter and still have a little left over.

Anyway I will keep looking .

cmh9023 wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:
my concern is that most farmers here will not sell to someone who only wants 40-50lbs at a time, and i don't have a garage or anything to store it in. :(
Hi Tonyshuman,

You can buy single or half bales of hay from the WI House Rabbit Society in Madison on weekends. I bought 2 bales from them last year.

Oh! Thanks! I'll have to do that.

Wow reading this thread makes me feel kind of crazy. I pay $6-7 for a 5 lb bag of timothy when you guys pay the same price (or less!)for an entire bale.

I'm guiltyof buying those "designer bags"haha :embarrassed:

Someone told me that I could get hay from the horse barns at the racetracks here but like angieluv, I'm a bit worried about the different things that could be mixed into it. I guess I'm just paying a bit more for peaceof mind

Fuzzy wrote:
Wow reading this thread makes me feel kind of crazy. I pay $6-7 for a 5 lb bag of timothy when you guys pay the same price (or less!)for an entire bale.

I'm guiltyof buying those "designer bags"haha :embarrassed:

Someone told me that I could get hay from the horse barns at the racetracks here but like angieluv, I'm a bit worried about the different things that could be mixed into it. I guess I'm just paying a bit more for peaceof mind

I just ordered 70 lbs of 2nd and 3rd cut timothy from kleenmama's

do you know what that costs????????????

and then I decided to feed " my bale"
to the outdoor rabbit (buried in all this snow)
and now I'm afraid they'll get bladder stones LOL :D

angieluv wrote:
I just ordered 70 lbs of 2nd and 3rd cut timothy from kleenmama's

do you know what that costs????????????

and then I decided to feed " my bale"
to the outdoor rabbit (buried in all this snow)
and now I'm afraid they'll get bladder stones LOL :D
Upwards of$100...?? I guess it doesn't hit me as hard because I only buy 2 or 3 bags at a time.

Fuzzy wrote:
I pay $6-7 for a 5 lb bag of timothy when you guys pay the same price (or less!)for an entire bale.
Hi Fuzzy,

I should be getting some more hay (bale) soon. I could give you some to try out.

Stan.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Hi Fuzzy,

I should be getting some more hay (bale) soon. I could give you some to try out.

Stan.
Hi Stan!

If you could, that would be great. I guess another thing is that I didn't want to ask the people at Northlands for a favour of selling me some hay and still be picky about it, you know what I mean?

What is a flake and how many flakes does a bale of hay consist of??

Fuzzy wrote:
What is a flake and how many flakes does a bale of hay consist of??

I'm not sure how many flakes there are in a bale. 10-15? Can anyone help?

One flake isalittle smaller thanthe size of thebags that you buy at G&E Pharmacy.

I picked up 2 bales of hay and gave 1 to Jan. I gave Fuzzy a few flakes to try. There are a few more people I have to get hold of to give them some hay.
There are about 18-20 flakes in a bale. Next time I will weight a bale to see how heavy it is. Just guessing, I think it is 40+ pounds. Not bad for $6.00 :biggrin2:

tonyshuman wrote:

I have the same problem with people not wanting to sell small quantities.

I actually put a wanted ad on my freecycle because right now I'm in a hay crunch - and someone replied:

I would be more than happy to give you4 bales if you have room. I feed this to my goats. I can bring this to you this weekend if that is ok? I have to work Mon - Fri and normally am off on Saturday, but I have a project at work and have to come in to work. I work at (XXX), somy time is limited this weekend. I can also bring you more as needed. I can't believe they eat too much. But if you ever did when hay season comes around this summer I normally sell the fresh stuff for 2.50 a bale. I try not to kill people with prices, just doesn't seem right to me. But this year we ( My husband and I)have tons stored, so I wouldn't worry about paying right now.

This is quite like hitting a jackpot if the hay is good, and not junk. I guess I'll find out for sure this weekend.

The hay is fescue. I had to email the lady to ask what it is, and honestly I'm not sure if thats ok to use or not.

Is it?

I don't think that you can use it

I had to look it up as I never even heard the word before. It carries a fungus which is toxic to wild-life and particularly if fed to horses.
This is all stuff I just read on the web so I would suggest having along conversation with Randy. i think that he would know what it is as wild-life are affected by it .

http://www.arabians-international.com/fescue1.html

what a bummer ...:expressionless

I'm not going to panic just yet. Fescue is one of the most common types in this area, and especially for people who have goats - but I'll hold off until hopefully Randy sees this before giving them any.

Latest posts

Back