Hay Cut: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Which type of hay cut (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) do you buy? And do you buy it because your rabbit(s) prefer(s) it? Or for another reason?

Jenk

As far as I'm aware I've only ever had 1st and 2nd cut. 3rd cuts depend on the season, they don't always get them. 1st cut tends to be a bit more tough and fibery, which my rabbits seem to like. The bale I have right now is almost like broom straw but thicker and slightly softer and they really like it. 2nd cut is good too, some prefer it since it is a little softer.

If you have the choice- such as from a bunny hay supplier that packages the cuts separately, I'd get some of each and feed them both. A little variety is nice and makes it more fun for rabbits to eat the hay. And you'll be able to see which they actually prefer.

At the moment I'm just buying whatever hay bales I can get my hands on. I can't wait till the new season, it's so hard to find decent stuff this time of year!

Zoe and Emma seem to prefer 1st cut. After having a number of bags of 1st-cut hay, they wound up getting a bag of 2nd-cut hay; they clearly weren't impressed byit. LOL

I don't know what I get because it's Oxbow, but from my younger years as a farm-town girl, I know that first cut is a lot more weeds than the grass that was planted. Some bunnies might like this, because as others have said, it is a lot coarser. Maybe they like the variety of the weeds? After the first cut, most of the weeds don't come back and the second and third cuts are more grassy.

first cut will still have the seed heads on, too.

i haven't been overly pleased with the last few boxes of oxbow western that i've gotten. there's been a lot of root and lower plant material mixed in.....like they cut too low/close?!?!
i was thinking of trying kleenmamas. their site has a good description and choice of hay products.....and it looks like the cost would be about the same as oxbow (incld shipping cost)

i think all of my buns would be happy with 2nd cut.....whereas a few of them refuse to eat the coaser/stemmy stuff.
besides.... the stems get junked up in the vac when i try to clean:grumpy:

JimD,

I've had the same experience with Oxbow in terms of finding roots and even sticks (especially in the first and only bag of oat hay that I got from them).

I'm planning to try hay from Sweet Meadow for several reasons: 1) I've heard good things about them (and also Bunny Bale and Kleenmama's); 2) they offer an organic line; 3) their organic line is evenlower than Oxbow. I could get a 9-lb. bag of inorganic hay for $10 less than Oxbow and organic hay for $5 less than Oxbow (including shipping costs for both brands).

Jenk

This is a good thread because I even had to ask Naturestee about cuts. I found horse people who sell hay by the bale. So far Luna, the little piggy, and Patrick seem to prefer it over the store-bought stuff. The lady said it was a first cut bale, which for her fields, means less alfalfa and more timothy. I'm happy if the bunners are happy. Thanks Naturestee for the advice on what to look for in a good bale. Probably see you on the ninth with some of it if you want.

Bonus points were being able to see the couple's beautiful horses. I so wish I knew how to ride because the people really can't because of health reasons; she had a kidney transplant and his knees are bad. The poor babies need to go out for long rides. I told the lady that if I knew how to ride, I would be out everyday to exercise her horses for her. I think I need a hobby farm...:D

myheart

myheart wrote:
Bonus points were being able to see the couple's beautiful horses. I so wish I knew how to ride because the people really can't because of health reasons; she had a kidney transplant and his knees are bad. The poor babies need to go out for long rides. I told the lady that if I knew how to ride, I would be out everyday to exercise her horses for her. I think I need a hobby farm...:D
I was in stitches over your "hobby farm" comment;I tease my husband that I will one day have a hobby farm. (We currently live in the Chicago 'burbs; so, for now, I must view our cat, two bunnies and birds and comprising our "indoor hobby farm.")

Still new to the whole buying hay from a farm thing, so the only cut I've bought is 2nd cut. The bunnies like it well enough, although they don't eat much hay (maybe because they are Netherland Dwarfs?)

At any rate, they seem to like the thin, tougher pieces of hay and they stay away from the leafy pieces. So whatever cut is leafy (I think that's 3rd cut), they'd probably hate.

JimD wrote:
i was thinking of trying kleenmamas. their site has a good description and choice of hay products.....and it looks like the cost would be about the same as oxbow (incld shipping cost)
I retract my earlier reply; I somehow mixed up Sweet Meadow and Kleenmama. Both do have a good reputation (per two rabbitrescuers), but what sells me more on Kleenmama's hay is the writing on the comany's website. You can feel the passion in the owner's words. He loves what he does, and it shows. And if there's one thing that I can respect, it's having a passion for doing that which you love.

i've bought the 50 pound carton of oxbow a few times.

with 8 bunnies it's the best deal to buy "big"

kleenmamas has a 45 pound carton of early 2nd cut timothy for about the same cost (including shipping) as the oxbow.

with kaytee, you could get any cut they decide to stuff in the bags.
I've found 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cut all on the shelf at the same time.
luckily the manager doesn't mind me opening the bags to see what's what.

Latest posts

Back