Hay choices

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristinpsc

Reaction score
Hi im not sure if there is allready a thread onthis, i searched it but wasnt able to find anything. I recently swichedfrom loose hay to hay cubes in hopes that my allergies and breathingwould improve, and i think it did. My problem now is these kayteetimothy 1 LB hay cube bags are like 6 dollars at petsmart, and max goesthrough the bag quick....i found american pet diner 8 LB bag for onlylike 8 dollars, my question is is that good hay? does anyone use that,whats the best? sorry this was long, thanks!!

Naturestee just created a feeding guidelinesthread which discusses hay and hay cubes:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=16340&forum_id=1

Essentially, cubed hay isnt recommended bc it often has additives andalso may not wear down the molars properly. Did you ever try shakingthe hay out when you first bring it home (outside with a mask)? Thatmight help your allergies.

Good Luck

H

:yeahthat

Hay cubes are great treats, but personally I wouldn't use them fortheir regular hay. If you break one apart, you'll notice thatmost of the particles are really small, so the rabbit really only needsto chew it with it's incisors and not the molars.

Shaking hay out does help. You could wear a cheap particlemask or get a friend to help you. Maybe if you could keep thehay in a closed closet too. I'm allergic to hay too and thathelps me some. The biggest difference I found was inswitching from those little bags of Kaytee hay which are super dusty tobulk Oxbow hay (I used to order the 20 or 50 lb sizes) and hay fromfarmers.

Although to answer your original question, American Pet Diner has areally good reputation and most likely has better hay cubes thanKaytee. I've heard their loose hay is great too, and theymake good pellets (comparable to Oxbow) but I think you can only getthem online. I have yet to see APD in a store.:(

oh wow im really glad i asked. I didnt rrealizethe cubes were more of a treat not a subsitute, well ill try shaking itout, thanks!!:D

Back