Hay and Grass

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanD

Reaction score
Hi All. This is just my fifth posting to thisforum. I have a 10 mos old Netherland Dwarf mix, i.e., she's a fair bitbigger than a pure breed, and I was wondering if fresh meadowgrass (the tall stalky kind) offers the same benefits as hay? My rabbitnever really loved hay and its always been a chore to get her to eatany great amount. She is very picky about what kind she eats too. Sheseems to prefer a meadow hay mixture over the timothy. She eats anddefecates regularly. She eats a lot of veggies (about 5 cups a day)supplemented with about 1/4 cup of pellets.

Now that Spring is here, I would like to start feeding her some nicefresh grasses (again, the tall stalky kind). I fed her some by hand andshe really likes it. I knowthat I should introduce itgradually. Also, there are plenty of hay meadows near where I live so Imay harvest some in the fall and dry it. I am sure it would be muchbetter than the stuff I am currently buying.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi...I can't answer about the freshmeadow hay question...but our bunns refuse to eat plain Timothy haytoo. We have been buying Meadow Mix hay and they seem to lovethat...but plain timothy...no way! I grow some grasses for mybunns but we don't have a supply of actual meadow grass here!!:) So once the season is over that is all till next year...wejust use them as a treat or to supplement their veggies.

Dani, Skittles, Peppers and Solembum.

Hi Sean! Welcome to the forum!

Fresh meadow grass would be fine for your bun as long as you introduceit slowly. I'd feed dried hay at the same time so she doesn'tfuss as much in winter when you have to switch back.

I've recently started offering my buns "Meadow Mix". The bag says it contains Sun-cured Fescue hay, Alaska Brome hay, Perennial Ryegrass, Timothy hay, Birdsfoot Trefoil hay, Red Clover hay, Bluegrass hay and White Clover hay.

I give it occasionally, like a treat. The rabbits LOVE it.

I still give Timothy and Orchard grass regularly.

Does anyone else use the Meadow Mix?

Any problems with it?

Latest posts

Back