Hay allergy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Rose

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if someone who is allergic to hay can feed their bunny hay cubes(the cubesdo notaffect the allergy)or if they have to get rid of their bunny?

I had a pet sitter come once that was allergic to timothy hay. Do you think you are allergic to a certain kind or all hay? I think hay cubes would be better as they don't leave as much dust. You could also try other types of hay. Can someone else feed your bun the hay and clean the cage? Could you take some allergy meds to help? Good Luck.

Idon't know, I'm using timothy hay now but I saw two other varieties in the store today that I'm going to try. One was orchard grass and the other is bermuda grass. Are those types okay for bunnies? I know that alfalfa is to be avoided.If I wind up not being able to use any loose hay, will the cubes be healthy enough for my bunny? Allergy meds don't seem to do anything.

Hi,

The hay cubes are better than no hay but they are a mere shadow of what real hay does. It's most likely not the hay but the dust. Low quality hay is often dusty. You should offer your rabbit a variety of hay....all the grass hays such as timothy, orchard grass, brome, oat, bermuda, etc. have basically the same nutritional value. Offering a variety of cuts in a "buffet" encourages a more natural foraging type feeding and gives them something to do. Since hay is the primary method in which the teeth are worn down, offering differing types of hay requires differing chewing mechanics and wears the teeth down better. And there is no need to avoid alfalfa. The concern has always been the calcium levels and it's alleged relationship to bladder sludge. It appears that view isn't totally accurate. However, alfalfa does have a higher calorie content and can lead to some weight issues. But alfalfa hay is better than no hay at all. We do offer it as a treat on special days such as holidays and anniversary dates.

If you could put you general location in your profile...I have excellent hay providers all over the US with really dust free hay....and I have really bad allergies. I'm sure other forum members can also refer you to good quality low dust hay.

But to directly answer you, while hay cubes are certainly better than no hay, they do not equal the benefits of loose hay.

Randy

timothy hay cubes are better than nothing but do not provide the grinding motion required for a bun to keep his teeth in condition (and his gut) ...long stem orchard grass, timothy, oat grass etc is really necessaryfor proper health.
Would it possible for you to store the hay in an outdoor area and take in his daily share after the dust is shaken out ???

i get oat and orchard grass from oxbow and find it to be essentially dust free although the timothy is bad. My timothy hay from keeemama's is essentially dust free

i don't know how bad your allergies are but the difference between companies can be extreme

My mom is allergic to hay. Well, it's actually the dust that makes her get flare ups. We keep the hay in a sealed container outside. I grab a handful and shake it then go inside and fill the hay racks.

Now it doesn't bother her!:weee:

--Erika

Well I can't keep it outside, and I've read you shouldn't store it in airtight container because it will mildew, and I'm really the only one who can feed her the hay. We live in an apartment so theres really not enough space for me to get away from it. Maybe trying the other types will help.I just got her a few days ago. She is 8 months old and this is the first time she has ever been given loose hay. Her previous owner only ever gave her the hay cubes because of her own allergy. I didn't know the hay would bother me when I adopted her.She does need the fresh hay available at all times correct? Thanks )

ideally she should have regular hay and you can try the other types but if it doesn't work out you can try the hay cubes and see if she does OK with them

it sounds like you are a good owner...

Oddly enough, I have a semi-allergy to timothy hay. My hands will break out and get a rash from Kaytee's timothy hay. Oxbow's isn't as bad on my hands. Kleenmama's timothy doesn't bother me at all. Oxbow's orchard grass doesn't bother me at all.

I like the orchard grass, it's inexpensive and it doesn't make me itchy. I only can get hay cubes made from alfalfa.

Latest posts

Back